Bacon Wrapped Cherries with Thyme

I don’t even know where to begin because my mind has officially been blown! I stumbled across this recipe last week for Bacon Wrapped Cherries with Thyme on Cook & Eat, a really great blog with gorgeous photography. I kind of wanted to (in fact I did) cry tears of joy when I saw it. It really doesn’t take a whole lot to excite me especially when it comes to bacon! I was even more excited that I had an actual reason to make them, as the Gap Born to Fit Party was coming up that weekend!

Since the Gap party was at Sues’ apartment and I knew I wouldn’t have time to assemble the cherries once I arrived, and since they are best served hot, I decided to do all the prep work at my apartment, package them up, transport them, and pop them in Sues’ oven once I got there. Also, my kitchen sink looked like um… something bad had happened… since there was red red red cherry juice all over the place. So yes, I really recommend assembling these beforehand so you don’t get your party clothes messy! :)

Here’s what you do:

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

• Pit all of the cherries. I didn’t have a cherry pitter so I got creative and used the flat end of a toothpick to push the pits out or scoop them out… the method I chose differed for each cherry, some of those suckers were tricky to get out!

• Next, take a strip of bacon, cut it in half, and then lay it flat on a plate. On one end, place a pitted cherry (with the hole left from pitting facing the surface of the bacon) and a sprig of thyme.

bacon wrapped cherries

• Next, roll the strip of bacon around the cherry and thyme.

bacon wrapped cherries

• Finally, place a toothpick through the bacon and cherry, making sure everything is secure.

bacon wrapped cherries

• Arrange all of the cherries wrapped in bacon in a baking dish and roast until the bacon is beautiful and browned. The original recipe said 25 minutes, but I ended up keeping them in the oven a while longer, since the bacon wasn’t quite crispy enough!

bacon wrapped cherries

aaaand drumroll please… one of the most wonderful and tasty hors d’oeuvres I ever did taste!

bacon wrapped cherries

The idea of a cherry wrapped in bacon might sound strange, but I guarantee you these were lovely. Between the (obvious) deliciousness of bacon and the slight sweetly roasted flavor or the cherry, these were so delightful. And they were a huge hit at the Gap party! I plan on making them… most likely all the time :) I will be purchasing a cherry pitter too! Any suggestions for a good one?

[Chels]

• Chris said:

What are the chances you girls will make these for me? :)

August 5, 2009 9:52 am
  • Sara said:

They were so good, but I agree, they could have been a little crispier. Do you think you could put them in a pan for a few minutes to get them crispy, then finish them off in the oven?

August 5, 2009 10:06 am
  • Kristen said:

My two favorite things in one fabulous dish. I will definitely be trying this.

August 5, 2009 12:08 pm
  • emrlds said:

seriously, these look amazing.

August 5, 2009 12:25 pm
  • Never, never, never would’ve thought bacon and cherry in one recipe. Great idea!

August 5, 2009 2:54 pm
  • Chels said:

Chris, the chances of us making them for you are extremely likely! :)

Sara, good call! I think I might just leave them in the oven a little longer next time for the ultimate crispiness :)

August 5, 2009 3:08 pm
  • RebeccaC said:

Goodness, these sound uniquely delicious. Thank you for passing along such a cool idea!

August 7, 2009 1:54 pm
  • Erin said:

Anything with bacon is delicious, and I LOVE cherries. These must be amazing!

August 10, 2009 11:50 am
  • Kelli D said:

Yummy!

BTW, no need to purchase a cherry pitter – just use a straw – works like a dream! I pitted an enormous amount to make jam using a straw and it worked great!

August 18, 2009 11:26 am
  • Dustin said:

Hey ladies,

I am teaching a holiday entertaining class and would love to feature these in my Rustic Italian class. Just in case you guys are super bored on November 14 in the early evening, you could always come whip them up for the class yourselves and pimp your awesome website :) I’m teaching a series of four classes, budget friendly entertaining for 8-12 people for under $100 and two hours.

xoxo,
    Dustin

August 24, 2009 2:46 pm
  • diana said:

gona try the cherries wrapped in bacon this week end let u know how it goes cant wait.

September 19, 2010 7:14 pm
  • wendy said:

I suggest getting a cherry pitter from a local orchard if you can. I got mine a few years back from one and I love it…Itr costed about $4.00 and it is a lifesaver!

February 3, 2011 12:28 pm
  • hannah said:

Looks great! I’ve always wanted to go to El Bulli so hearing this made me want to try the recipe even more =)

I wrote a fruit blog and what you can do with assortments of fruits to come out this week. Even though your recipe is not what types of food I write about, (I do more weekday type cooking that’s hearty and easy) I will definitely put this in my personal recipe to try next time at a bbq party! Thanks!!

August 1, 2011 4:56 pm