Although I’m not a real huge, die-hard, must have chocolate, chocolate fan, I have a love/love relationship with Mexican hot chocolate! I’d never tried to make my own, so when I received a block of true Mexican chocolate from Taza, it was a clear sign that I had to make some at home!
I found a recipe of Tyler Florence’s (T-Flo, if you will) and it was simple enough and sounded like the perfect beverage to warm up! His recipe serves 6, and I only needed one mug for myself, so I adjusted. I’m going to use the full recipe below, because it will be the perfect drink for your guests this winter!
Here’s what you need to serve 6:
• 3 ounces (tablet or cone) Mexican chocolate or bittersweet chocolate. Taza Mexican chocolate worked wonderfully and had a great subtle spice and it’s all organic!
• 3 cups milk
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• Pinch of salt
• Miniature marshmallows, for serving
• 6 cinnamon sticks, for serving
Here’s what you do:
• With a sharp knife, break up the chocolate into small pieces.
• In a saucepan, combine chopped chocolate, milk, sugar, and salt over a medium-low flame. Heat and continue to stir until the chocolate is melted and the milk is very hot, but not quite boiling, roughly 10 minutes.
• Remove skillet from heat and, if you’d like, froth the chocolate milk with a mini whisk.
• Divide the hot chocolate among big mugs, top each with a few marshmallows, and serve with the cinnamon sticks as stirrers.I also sprinkled a little chopped chocolate on top of the marshmallows too! How tasty, tasty, tasty!
Also, If you’re in the Boston area this weekend, be sure to visit Taza at their factory…best part is it’s FREE!
The Annual Taza Chocolate Factory Open House
561 Windsor Street, Somerville, MA
Saturday December 5
There will be tours, tastings, and it’s a great time to stock up on holiday gifts, too!
And now for the popchips giveaway winner! Using a random number generator, lucky reader Annalene was selected! Annalene, please email us your contact information and your case of popchips will be shipped to you! Congratulations and enjoy!