Raspberry and Dark Chocolate Muffins

January 29, 2010

While there aren’t many foods I absolutely won’t eat, I cringe when it comes to anything with artificial raspberry flavoring. It’s funny because I absolutely love raspberries, but I don’t think there’s anything worse than the fake flavoring. The absolute worst is raspberry vodka. Ugh! I would probably never buy a raspberry muffin for fear it would be all imitation-tasting, but when I saw a recipe for Raspberry and Dark Chocolate Muffins, I knew I needed to make them. While it called for fresh raspberries, they were nowhere to be seen in my grocery store, so I grabbed some frozen ones, which are a fine substitution. These are the perfect Valentine’s Day muffins!

The combination of fresh raspberries (OK, or frozen) and dark chocolate makes me super happy. The recipe was written in the metric system, which was tough because I never really paid attention in school when we were supposed to be learning all of that. Thank goodness for Google! I’m going to write it out how I did it because I think the muffins came out just lovely. Also, the recipe called for super-fine sugar, but Shaw’s didn’t have that either, so I used regular and had no issues.

Raspberry and Dark Chocolate Muffins (Makes 12 smaller ones or 9 large ones):

• 2 C flour
  • 1 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1 C sugar (granulated or super-fine)
  • 1 3/4 sticks unsalted butter (14 tablespoons)
  • 3/4 C plain yogurt
  • 1/2 C water
  • 2 eggs
  • 3.5 oz. dark chocolate, roughly chopped
  • 5 oz. raspberries (fresh or frozen)
  • 2 T granulated sugar
  • Powdered sugar for dusting

Combine flour, baking powder, and sugar in a large bowl and make a well in the center.

Melt butter and remove from heat. Stir in yogurt and water. Then add the eggs, stirring well afterwards.

I had a little Mitzi under my feat the whole time. I spent about 5 days with her and think I’m going through separation anxiety without her now! I don’t think she left my side (but mostly my lap) for the entire 5 days I was with her. Isn’t she adorable?

Pour the wet ingredients into the well in dry ingredients and stir to combine. It’s OK if there are lumps. There probably will be.

Chop up your chocolate. I used these awesome little chocolate bars from Trader Joe’s that came in a 3-pack. It ended up being a little over 3.5 ounces, but when is too much chocolate a bad thing?? Especially when it’s dark chocolate!

Now, fold the chocolate and raspberries into the batter.

Stir it all together.

And put into prepared muffin tins. I had a muffin tin, but only had cupcake papers, so my muffins are a bit smaller (the recipe ended up making about 12, but it will be less if you actually make them muffin-size).

I filled the tins almost to the top and that seemed to work well. Also, sprinkle some granulated sugar on top of the batter before popping into the oven.

Bake at 375 degrees for about 30-40 minutes.

And serve! On a Valentine’s Day plate, if you have one. Sprinkle the muffins with a little powdered sugar too, if you like.

These are the perfect muffins for waking your honey up on Valentine’s Day. Or making for friends and family. Or for just eating the entire batch yourself. What? Raspberries are fruit and dark chocolate is healthy, right? I brought my muffins home with me to greet my sister and Adam home from Hawaii! And we’ve been nibbling on them all week.

They’re best right out of the oven when the chocolate is all melty and gooey. But you can also pop them in the microwave for a few seconds if you’re eating them later. And they still taste fabulous cold as well!

This muffin is such a lovely combination and you’ll have a tough time finding someone who wouldn’t like it. I absolutely love these muffins for Valentine’s Day, but would gladly eat them the whole year through.

Tagged With

26 Responses to "Raspberry and Dark Chocolate Muffins"

1. I LOVE raspberries, they are my favorite berry of all time. These look de-lish! It would be fun to make a raspberry puree filling and fill them with a gooey melty center…I might have to do these for Valentine’s Day for sure! I love your pictures too. And yes, I fully believe that dark chocolate is good for you. =)

2. Julie Q says:

I was pass on my usual Valentine if you would make those for me!!! hahaha jk, but i might have to make them for my sweetheart

3. Melissa says:

These look like heaven!! I will be baking ASAP!

4. Ohmygoshi says:

MMM Sounds delicious! I’ll definitely try it out!

5. Katie says:

the combination of raspberries and dark chocolate makes me very happy too! i NEED to make these!

6. Amy says:

What kind of dog is Mitzi?

7. Sues says:

She’s a cockapoo. Adorable, playful, and super lovable!

8. If you end up with too many muffins….I am more than happy to take them off of your hands. 😀

9. Oh. Yum. YUM! I do not like raspberry flavoring either (kinda like I hate artificial banana flavoring…yuck!) but love fresh ones.

10. Nicci says:

These muffins look great Sues. I will keep these in mind for valentines day!

11. Samantha says:

Do you think it would be okay to substitute brown sugar for the white sugar? I’m on a college student’s budget and don’t feel like buying the white sugar, I have the brown on hand already…

12. Cal says:

Love this…Wonderful work! I was thinking about strawberries (live in CA)–and definitely dark chocolate. Love the pooch. Come visit us.
    –author of The Healing Powers of Chocolate

13. Sues says:

Hmmm I’ve never thought about substituting brown sugar for white sugar. Really, all brown sugar is simply white sugar with molasses added in… I would say it’s worth a try though the look and consistency of the muffins will definitely be different… though maybe moister! If you try it, let me know how they come out 🙂

14. Shannon says:

ooh, these sound amazing!! man, now i’m hankering for a snack 🙂

15. Kelly says:

Oh these look fantastic! I made something kinda similar for my husbands birthday…. with the risk of looking like I’m attempting to pull off a shameless plug – you should check them out! They are cupcakes – so I think you’d like them 🙂

16. Vidya says:

Haha, now you know what we poor sods in the metric-using world need to do all the time! I’m actually impressed that you learnt the metric system, though…I think we may have touched on imperial but I’m not sure. Dog is adorable.

17. Oooh I want these for brekfast to take the cold edge off the work week! Fruit and chocolate in a muffin form = <3

18. I barely read through reading your post title and had already added these to the V-Day repertoire! YUM!

19. eliza says:

ooh….raspberry and chocolate: what an amazing combination! a bakery near me makes raspberry chocolate chip muffins and they are so good! i’ll have to try them!

ps. you have a great blog! I just started my own and am pretty excited to get into the blog world!

20. Samantha says:

Hi Girls! I made these this weekend and they are SO yummy! Thanks for the recipe. I will definitely be making these again… raspberry and chocolate are just the perfect combination!

21. OK, so WOW these look awesome! Thanks so much for the recipe – I’m a “foodie” who happens to love raspberry-chocolate combo and trying new recipes! I just found your blog, will definitely be back and literally cannot wait to try this recipe. Never thought to put yogurt in muffins.

22. Emilie Nancy says:

I am making these tonight! What a great Valentines present for co-workers, especially at an early morning staff meeting! This is my FAVORITE blog!

23. r4 software says:

Delicious! Thanks for sharing such mouth watering recipe. I would like to make it at valentine day for my friends as a treat.

24. elle says:

i have to thank you SO MUCH! even though I used to loathe cooking and baking, i recently had a change of heart and started to enjoy it. then i found your website and i cannot even tell you what an inspiration it is to me!
    i made these muffins for my acting class and (also made a pan of cocoa ones with white chocolate chips) and they all disappeared. the recipe is to die for and i can’t wait to try others! THANK YOU!

25. Pamela says:

These are awesome! I’ve already made a couple of batches. Love the yogurt. My husb is not a big raspberry or choc person but the batches didnt last a day. Also made them with only peaches. Just as yummy. Question: do you have the nutritional value available? Thanks!

26. Sues says:

@Pamela- Thank you so much! Unfortunately, I don’t have nutritional info. for any of my recipes and I’m not a nutritionist and would never want to steer someone wrong with faulty calculations.