Elote, Delicious Mexican Corn on the Cob

The other day I was eating lunch with my sister at Dorado, a new-ish Mexican restaurant in Coolidge Corner. Once we ordered our food and began eating I saw a plate of delicious looking, cheesy elote (Mexican corn on the cob) go by to another table. I’d never even had elote before but I, for some reason, had been craving it for well over a year. No clue how that happens? Seeing it at Dorado inspired me to finally attempt to make it on my own. I did a quick round of research and found a recipe from the blog Our Best Bites for elote. Also, discovering Our Best Bites was serious fate as it’s officially my newest favorite blog.

I’m currently at my grandmother’s house in NYC so I knew I could walk about 2 feet and find all of the ingredients since almost every grocery store, convenient store, and “hole-in-the-wall” shop has loads of international ingredients. ;)

Here’s what you need:

DSCN3880.JPG

• 4 ears of corn
• 3 tablespoons mayo
• 2 tablespoons sour cream
• 1/4-1/2 teaspoon lime zest
• 1/2 teaspoon fresh lime juice
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
• pinch of salt
• 1 cup crumbled or grated Cotija cheese (found near the cream cheese at most grocery stores). They actually had a grated version at the store I went to but I opted for the block… figured I’d save a couple dollars and throw an arm workout into my day ;)

Here’s what you do:

• You can grill your corn, but since I didn’t have a grill I just tossed it into a pot of boiling water. I then rolled the corn around in a skillet after it was boiled just to brown it a tad. Definitely not as good as a grill, since it didn’t create that smokey flavor like grills do, but it did the trick.

• While your corn is cooking, use a cheese grater to grate the Cotija. Make sure to grate the cheese over a large plate since you’ll eventually be rolling your corn in it.

• To create the spread, mix together the sour cream, mayo, lime zest, lime juice, chili powder, cayenne, and salt. You can definitely make this ahead of time, cover it, and store it in the fridge, so all the flavors can get to know each other ;)

DSCN3881.JPG

• Once the corn is done and hot, hot, hot, with the back of a spoon, rub the mayo/cream cheese spread over each ear of corn. The photo below doesn’t exactly showcase the spread going on the corn, but I just like the photo… so there ;)

DSCN3883.JPG

• Then roll the corn in the grated cheese. My brother took this action photo ;)

DSCN3889.JPG

DSCN3887.JPG

• Once each ear of corn is rolled in the grated cheese, feel free to sprinkle another dash of chili powder or splash of lime juice!

This is a serious ear of corn. And the flavors most definitely remind me of being on a tropical vacation. The lime, the spice, and the crunch of the summer kernels definitely made me want to hop on a plane and hit the streets of Mexico to get the real thing.

What foods take you to another place or remind you of a really good vacation?

[Chels]

• marie Sendejo said:

i love roasted corn!!! i like mine grilled then add salt, butter and sprinkle some cayenne pepper. it’s so delicious. i especially enjoy them with some beer margaritas. here’s the recipe if you would like to try:
    3 coronas
    1 can of frozen lime aid
    1 cup of tequila

Combine the ingredients together in a pitcher and serve over ice. no blender needed.

June 16, 2010 2:26 pm

I’ve never even heard of this dish, but sounds really unique! I love corn on the cob- it is SUCH a summer food. And cotija cheese is yummy. Foods/drinks that remind me of vacation: tropical fruits!, coladas!

June 16, 2010 2:32 pm
  • Jennifer said:

There used to be carts in Houston, like ice cream vendors, that would sell it in either the ears or mixed in a cup with just the kernels of corn it is just as good that way too. I have been searching for a recipe for this for YEARS and did not even know what it was called so thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this.

June 16, 2010 2:32 pm
  • Lora said:

This look amazingly yummy. Never heard of it before but now I wanna try it. Thanks!

June 16, 2010 3:08 pm
  • Jessica said:

Yum! I love Elotes. They serve them at the White Sox games, but they strip the corn off the cob and just mix everything in. Delicious and easy to eat!

If you eat a lot of corn, try this one: http://ashleescooking.blogspot.com/2010/05/grilled-creamy-corn.html

I’ve been making it a lot lately and it is so creamy and good!

June 16, 2010 3:19 pm
  • wow i’ve definitely never had corn like that – looks amazing!

June 16, 2010 3:24 pm

Mmm, looks amazing!

June 16, 2010 8:47 pm
  • That does look serious, seriously good. Thanks for sharing, I love seeing new (to me) ideas.

June 16, 2010 10:23 pm
  • This looks sooooo good! I’m so happy its corn season :)

June 17, 2010 8:09 am
  • Elina said:

This really reminds me of corn on the cob I just had at Toro on Sunday. I want to make this asap!! :)

June 17, 2010 10:46 am
  • umommy said:

I need to make that now – anything to take me to a faraway vacation place :) It reminds me of the corn at Toro too. Except maybe I’ll check it out at Dorado instead. Thanks for posting the recipe :)

June 17, 2010 11:20 am
  • Lauren said:

YUM. This looks amazing! I’m putting Dorado on my list of restaurants to try, and this corn on my list of foods to make at home :) .

June 17, 2010 1:20 pm
  • Sharlene said:

Mmmmmm! I’ve never tried elote but my mom used to coat our corn in butter and a sprinkle of sugar and it was delicious. I’ll definitely try this out! Having fresh papaya always takes me to a tropical island. It never tastes the same stateside though so I’m usually AT a tropical island at the time hah!

June 19, 2010 1:41 pm
  • Desiree said:

YUM…went to Dorado over the weekend….didn’t get this, but now I want it!!! (ps love the serving plate…hehe..reminds me of summer at home!)

June 22, 2010 11:24 am
  • beth said:

I used to love to get this from the street vendors in Chicago! Such a perfect summer treat!

June 23, 2010 10:15 pm