Blueberry and Feta Salad

July 6, 2010

Yes, you read that correctly. is saying it’s 90 degrees outside (my iphone is saying 98!) but with the heat index it feels like I’m in a 350 degree oven… baking. So I made a vow to myself this morning that I wouldn’t leave the house, even to get food, so what’s in the fridge is what I’m eatin’! Let’s face it, nothing good happens when it’s this hot out. Fainting, dizzy spells, deodorant-less people… riots. I’ve kept myself parked at my desk all day. Indoors, with continuous glasses of ice water, and a fan blowing directly on my face.

When it came time to eat a late lunch this afternoon I looked in the fridge and found some lettuce, blueberries that I had to use before they went bad, and of course a fridge stocked with Athenos feta. I thought this sounded completely delicious but I obviously “had” to do some quick research just to make sure I wasn’t the only one. Or that I wasn’t going crazy in the heat thinking blueberries and feta sounded like a good idea. I found this recipe for exactly what I wanted to make on Table & Spoon, Pittsburgh’s Garden to Table Project. Feel free to use your own measurements, I sort of eyeballed everything and tasted the dressing as I made it.

Here’s what you need:

• 1 cup fresh blueberries
• A couple handfuls of lettuce or any other greens you have on hand
• A generous portion of feta (I used the traditional Athenos crumbled feta)
• Salt and pepper

For the Dressing:

• 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar (I used sherry vinegar since I had it on hand… it worked perfectly fine)
• 2 Tablespoons olive oil
• 1 teaspoon honey (adds a nice touch of sweetness)
• 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• Salt and pepper

Mix all of the dressing ingredients together…

And combine all of the salad ingredients.

With the dressing poured on top. Who am I kidding? It’s too hot out to dip each forkful into a separate bowl of dressing.

After taking these photos I added a small handful of dried sunflower seeds to up the crunch-factor and to get some vitamin E in my system 😉 Table and Spoon also suggests adding almonds or pecans.

This Athenos Change for the Feta challenge is giving me some great excuses to dilly dally in the kitchen and find some new and creative recipes and flavor combinations! Yet another go-to salad was created this afternoon and this basic dressing is one I’ll definitely be creating all the time. So simple, fresh, and refreshing to cool me down on this scorcher of a day!

14 Responses to "Blueberry and Feta Salad"

1. Kelly says:

Vlora looks like a lot of fun. Sad I missed it. Also the salad looks yummy. I will admit feta is not usually my goto cheese, but I bet the blueberries balanced it out beautifully.

2. emily says:

oh, my goodness, i remember those boston summers. so hot, so humid, if you left a veggie in the sun for an hour, you’d come back to steamed crudites!

i’m digging your salad concept, but since i don’t care for blueberries, i’d up the tart factor with strawberries, i think!

3. Victoria says:

I cannot believe how good that salad looks! I have all those things – i should really be making myself one right now!

4. Kelly says:

Yeah I totally agree with your plan to not leave the house today- unfortunately I did and it was disgusting!
    I am not a big feta person but I’m willing to try anything with blueberries haha

5. Danielle says:

You should try spanakopita for the feta challenge. It takes a lot of prep work but it is amazing! I am usually little bit picky with my cheese and I don’t usually like feta, but a friend made me try a recipie for spanakopita from smitten kitchen and I found myself going for thirds and fourths.

6. Jess says:

Yum! I vowed not to turn the stove on yesterday, but ended up sauteeing vegetables and boiling water to make iced tea…. I left the kitchen drenched. I shoulda tried this recipe instead!!

7. I think feta would go well will any fruit. Seriously! The salty and sweet are a great combination 🙂

8. Elina says:

Haha, I love how you had to “double check” that this combo worked. Sounds delicious to me 🙂

9. YUMMM looks so good! i love feta and fruit in salads together! so making this! When its so hot out, I get so uninspired to cook…salads are PERFECT!

10. Corinne says:

haaa. this comment made me giggle : “Let’s face it, nothing good happens when it’s this hot out. Fainting, dizzy spells, deodorant-less people… riots.” i am looking forward to this heat wave breaking…but until then ill be eating salads and salads and more salads! thanks for the great tips!

11. Jaime says:

I love feta. have not paired it w/fruit before but this looks delicious!

12. Jan says:

This sounds great! Feta is my go-to cheese, not so much blueberries, but I may have to try this! I have combined strawberries and feta on top of a mixed green salad and they were amazing!

13. Sharon says:

I just bought 4 lbs. of blueberries at Costco yesterday and I was looking for recipes that were different. Your salad looks SOOO GOOD! I think I’ll be making it tonight…Yummy…Good job Chels!!

14. Kelly says:

Delicious! I’m making it for the second time immediately. Last time I sprinkled pecans on it… I’m trying it with walnuts this time!
    Thank you!