The Meat House in Brookline

August 7, 2010

I can’t even describe my excitement when I walked by a “coming soon” sign for The Meat House a couple months ago. The Meat House? In Coolidge Corner? Under the gym? This could be awesome and maybe kind of dangerous. Then, my sister was on her way home from hanging out by our pool this afternoon and sent me a text: “The new butcher is open!” It took about .5 seconds for me and Chris to get off the couch and run down the street.

We were that excited.

DSCN9662

First of all, when we walked in, everyone was SO friendly. We were handed wrapped samples of marinated steak tips to take home with us and encouraged to indulge in the samples that were offered around the store.

One of the partners of The Meat House, Chris, gave us a tour around the store and answered any questions we had.

The Meat House has pretty much any kind of meat you can imagine. From beef, to pork, to poultry, and on and on and on. Their deli cases are absolutely beautiful! And they do carry some organic meats as well.

DSCN9660

They also have plenty of fancy meats that you don’t even have to do anything to prepare, like these beautiful beef florentine.

DSCN9652

Speaking of meats you don’t have to do anything to, they have a HUGE selection of marinaded meats. I love these because they’re perfect for keeping in the fridge or freezer when I don’t feel like cooking, but still want a meal involving meat.

DSCN9628

They also carry all the Boar’s Head deli meats and make deli sandwiches, too. I see a few midweek lunches happening here!

Check out their back kitchen. I need that grill in my house. It was revealed to me that once the Meat House gets situated in the neighborhood, they could possibly be doing some kitchen demonstrations (the demand for this would be SUPER high in Brookline!).

DSCN9625

If all this meat isn’t enough to get you excited (or if you’re a vegetarian), don’t worry- The Meat House has PLENTY of goods for you to fall in love with. Pretty much all of the products they sell are local products. Their produce is from Brookline’s Allandale Farm and Watertown’s Russo’s.

How about pretty much any Stonewall Kitchen product you could desire?

DSCN9619

You know how we feel about the Stonewall Kitchen here at We are not Martha, so it makes me happy to have all their products so accessible to me.

DSCN9620

Seriously, all of them.

DSCN9621

The Meat House also has their own line of spices and herbs.

DSCN9622

Pretty much anything you could ever need to fill up your spice rack.

DSCN9623

Oh, and can we talk about the craft beers and amazing selection of wines?

DSCN9638

DSCN9639

The wine is all pretty moderately priced, with most coming it at under $20. And I was told the selection is unlike what you’ll find at other places. I did happen to see one of our favorites, Layer Cake 🙂

DSCN9642

There are also rumors The Meat House will eventually be having wine tastings. I’m so there!

DSCN9645

This is one of my favorite features: The Ariston olive oil and balsamic station!

DSCN9649

Olive oil makes me all kinds of happy. You can pour your own bottle and then come back when you run out. Which is pretty much once a week for me.

DSCN9651

Look what else I spotted?! popchips!! You have to love a store that carries popchips.

DSCN9658

And Emack and Bolio’s ice cream! Sure, the ice cream shop is only down the street and Washington Square, but now everyone in Coolidge Corner has it right at their fingertips!

DSCN9636

So basically, this store is so much more than I thought it would be. Yes, it’s glorious meat, but it’s also an amazing selection of local products. I definitely see myself popping in to The Meat House for a some fresh produce, a container of hummus (Joseph’s!), baked goods (Emily’s Bakery), local cheeses, a chicken pot pie (what? I LOVE chicken pot pie), or a 6-pack of beer or a bottle of wine.

DSCN9656

In fact, Chris and I bought quite a nice selection of foods to stock our fridge up with. We got some marinated meats, some ground lamb, beer, cheese, and more. Having The Meat House in the neighborhood is basically a dream come true to a cook. Especially a cook who hates buying meat at the grocery store because she has no idea what she’s doing and nobody wants to help her.

Welcome to Coolidge Corner, The Meat House!

The Meat House
1285 Beacon St.
Brookline, MA 02446

Tagged With

27 Responses to "The Meat House in Brookline"

1. Chris says:

I will be going here at least once a week. This place is perfect. Great write up Sues!

2. Simply Life says:

oh my gosh, that place looks amazing!

3. Joanne says:

God I wish a place like this had existed when I lived in Boston. Looks awesome!

4. Michelle says:

I wish this place was closer to me! (::green with envy::) Two words – blogger event?

5. OMG I am SO excited!! I have been looking for a butcher around here ever since I moved to Boston. Now Z and I can swim in a sea of steak. YAAAY!

6. Wow! They have everything! Definitely will be stopping by, and Michelle, great minds think alike, blogger event indeed! 🙂

7. Janel says:

I don’t eat meat but when I was told they’d have fresh produce, baked goods, etc. I was sold! So glad this is a stone’s throw away and a perfect spot for me to pick up some groceries after the gym!

8. My bf and I visited the Meat House in Arlington a couple of times – I’m glad to hear there’s a new location! Their steak tips and filet are fantastic!

9. you’re making me miss boston so much! i can’t comment on the meat, but one of the things i truly miss about new england is stonewall kitchen. and the emack ice cream! holy cow, i’m going into reminisce mode. thanks, ladies!

10. Daisy says:

I am amazed at everything else they sell here. At first I was expecting to read all about meat and only meat (with which I was super impressed) but you went on to have me absolutely enamored with this place. Coolidge Corner is my old stomping grounds when I lived in Brookline (further up Beacon St.) You have NO idea how badly I wish this was around then!

11. Erica says:

Very cool. Reminds me a lot of Butcher Boy in North Andover. My parents LOVED that place.

12. Melissa says:

OMG… I thought this was just going to be a butcher shop! It looks amazing! I just did my big shop for the week at TJ’s. I wish I had read this first!

13. I didn’t realize it was already open – what a great looking selection!

14. betsy says:

This is great news! I always stop at the Meat House on my way up to Maine.

15. thats a huge selection of spices! so neat 🙂

ahhh neighborhood butchers! nice to have local meat shops around. i dont see too many of those nowadays unfortunately!

xoxo

16. Nicole says:

Too funny! I just saw the sign for this place a couple of weeks ago and freaked out! This place looks awesome. Thanks for the great review. I can’t wait to go pay a visit!

17. wishful nals says:

i like meat. nom, nom, nom!

18. Kelly says:

I love the idea of a local butcher. There was always one quasi-near me in the North End that I wanted to check out. I will admit that the farmers’ market is my #1 stop for good meat, but a good local butcher is a close second, particularly because I could probably get them to take care of all of those butchery taskes I am not comfortable with, like deboning a chicken

19. I had the same experience with The Meat House this weekend- that place is AMAZING-so thrilled it opened up in Coolidge Corner!!!

20. Lauren says:

So cool! I will have to stop by to browse sometime soon.

21. Juliana says:

Wow, I wish we could have something similar to this meat house in our neighborhood…awesome!

22. Katie says:

Sues, thanks for the head’s up about the Meat House, I immediately hightailed it there after work for some rib eye and steak tips! It was so much better than the stop and shop meat! Will be going back soon =)

23. Susan says:

Heaven! Another reason to go to Brookline.

24. Lauren says:

Thank you for sharing! We visit their stores in NH and Maine. I’m so excited that they finally came to Boston!

25. Paul says:

I had a family party today and had to bring the food for 15. The steak and chicken were incredible along with the speciality hamburger. (swiss cheese/bacon!) One of the most incredible things was the fresh corn from a local brookline farm called Allendale Farms. I will be back!

26. Corinne says:

I totally and completely understand your enthusiasm behind the Meat House. The Meat House in Portsmouth, NH is gods gift to Portsmouth NH. The olive oil station, the beer and wine selection, the local products, the MEAT HOUSE MARINATED STEAK TIPS…oh I could go on for-ev-er. Enjoy your new neighbor!