Watermelon Margaritas

Can I just say how happy I am that it’s Friday? I’m looking forward to an absolutely fabulous weekend that will involve hanging out with some of my favorite friends, having brunch with my sister and bro-in-law, and hopefully spending some quality time at the pool (yes! my apartment building has a pool. Swooon!) OK, OK and I’ll also be doing lots of work on finishing all my unpacking, so I can show you a bit more of my apartment. Next week, I promise!

Now, summer Fridays call for margaritas, yes? I was going to throw this little recipe in with my post about what I had for dinner the other night. But then I determined that it needed its own post. Because it was easy, delicious, and absolutely necessary for all of you to make. Who doesn’t need more margaritas in their life? Also, the drink section of WANM was sadly looking a little empty. It will be my goal in life to fill it up.

Seriously, one of my goals for my move was: MAKE MORE COCKTAILS. I’m not even kidding. I see tons and tons of cocktail recipes, but always find myself mixing Absolut Boston (or vanilla!) and sodas. Or just sipping on a glass of red wine. But it’s summer and summer calls for fresh fruit in fun drinks. I came across 2 watermelon cocktail recipes on My Little Expat Kitchen and had a tough decision ahead of me. Margaritas or daiquiris? Margarita won out because I had a nice bottle of Jose Cuervo from the Margarita Cupcakes I made the other day.

Watermelon Margaritas (Serves 2):

• 1 1/2 C watermelon, chilled, seeded and cut into pieces
  • 1/4 C lime juice, freshly squeezed
  • 1/4 C silver (white) tequila
  • 1/4 C Triple Sec (or Cointreau)
  • 8 large ice cubes

DSCN9522

Remember when I made my lentil cake dressing the other day and I said my limes were exceptionally juicy? Well, I know why. Limes that share my name are clearly the BEST limes in the world. I love that these limes are called “Susie” and I love even more that it’s written in quotes.

DSCN9526

First, I prepared the glasses! I rubbed the rims with some lemon and then put the glasses on a plate with coarse salt. Then I popped the glasses in the freezer so they could chill while I was preparing the margaritas.

DSCN9538

I chopped up my watermelon into cubes. Tip: Buy seedless watermelon. It’s so much easier!

DSCN9531

And popped it in the blender with the limes and pureed the watermelon. If you’re in the market for a good blender, this Cuisinart is a GEM. It actually came with a mini food processor, but I think you can buy just the blender, too.

DSCN9540

I added in the tequila, Triple Sec, and ice cubes and blended it for about a minute straight, until it was nice and smooth.

DSCN9553

And garnished with a lime, of course!

DSCN9559

I had one of these suckers waiting for Chris when he got home from work. Which made him happy and me girlfriend of the year. Except now, every day I don’t have a drink waiting for him, it’s like “remember that time you had a watermelon margarita waiting for me when I got home from work?” Le sigh.

DSCN9560

This watermelon margarita would probably run you at least $10 at any bar here in Boston. But making it at home cost less than $1. And like I said, it was incredibly simple! It was super refreshing and delicious… The watermelon wasn’t overly sweet, and tasted totally natural (you can add sugar in if you want it sweeter… You can also add more tequila in to make it more boozy).

Now if you excuse me, I’m off to the pool with one of these in hand. OK, I’m totally lying. I’m off to finish a ton of work, so I can have some fun this weekend. But I might take a quick pool break. And a margarita may just be in order later tonight.

What are you up to this weekend? Will it involve any margaritas? :)

Make sure you enter our giveaway for a NeatReceipts Scanner!! Think about the possibilities of drinking margaritas while you scan!

• Those ‘ritas are so pretty! I’m going out for a girls night out tomorrow night. It might very well include a margarita, although I doubt it will be watermelon. You never know, though.

August 6, 2010 3:23 pm
  • Rae said:

I think I have eaten watermelon every single day this summer. This cocktail sounds like a great way to start the weekend!

August 6, 2010 3:50 pm
  • Oh what a fun drink!

August 6, 2010 3:56 pm
  • So if I give you my address can I have one of these waiting for me? TGIF! Hope you have a great weekend!

August 6, 2010 4:04 pm

I’m obsessed with watermelon right now. I love the idea behind this drink. Plus that is so awesome that the limes are “Susie’s” Brunch! my favorite meal out. We’re actually going twice this weekend!! And I need some major pool/relax time too. I am teaching Saturday morning and Josh’s family is in town, Sunday morning is a blogger meet up!

August 6, 2010 4:07 pm
  • Kelly said:

I love making watermelon margaritas. They are fantastic this time of year when the watermelon is so juicy and sweet. I made them a year ago and really should make them again. No margaritas this weekend for me, that I know about, but it should still be relaxing.

August 6, 2010 4:21 pm
  • Jan said:

I rushed out to the store and bought all the ingredients! It will be a watermelon margarita weekend! I love your blog!

August 6, 2010 7:13 pm
  • Shannon Marie said:

YUM! I love any cocktail made with fresh fruit! I have a recipe for a orange creamsicle martini that I’m dying to try. My weekend plans include, out for a date night dinner tonight… brunch tomorrow and hopefully hitting up the SOWA Open Market on Sunday. It’s food truck day!

August 6, 2010 7:15 pm

this looks awesome Sues. You are such a great gf/roommate ;) Looking forward to more drink creations!

August 6, 2010 9:16 pm
  • Claudia said:

Well… I hadn’tplanned on a Margarita but you twisted my arm…

August 6, 2010 9:16 pm
  • oh my…..its margarita time!! what a wonderful margarita, I have never had a watermelon drink this sounds delicious!

August 6, 2010 10:34 pm
  • sophia said:

Well, Margaritas is a must when you have a lot of work to do…but I hope you got in some personal pool time too!
    Watermelon margarita…now that’s genius. So perfect for summer!

August 6, 2010 11:03 pm
  • joan said:

Wine, no margaritas. :) Saturday we are making peach jelly. My brother brought us lots of peaches from his tree. My husband said he would peel. Hopefully he won’t back out. :)
    Sunday we are going to Cornerstone Gardens in Sonoma.
    Fun week-end!
    You have fun too!

August 7, 2010 12:52 am
  • Joanne said:

I think margaritas should be ingested every day. not just Fridays. These look so tasty!

August 7, 2010 7:47 am
  • emily said:

umm, can i come over for a margarita?! those look perfect for a hot summer night!

August 7, 2010 2:47 pm
  • Watermelon margarita sounds like just the thing for a hot summer day – really cool and refreshing.

August 7, 2010 4:38 pm
  • This sounds crazy delicious! I don’t post nearly enough beverages on my site. I just might have to try this one out soon.

August 7, 2010 7:09 pm
  • Kerstin said:

I SO wish I had one of these right now – it looks incredibly refreshing! I need to work on more drinks recipes too :)

August 7, 2010 9:15 pm
  • Yum! Looks like it’s time for a cocktail party, “Susie”. :) I love watermelon, I love margaritas, these look amazing.
    I am having a low key at home weekend and loving it!

August 7, 2010 9:19 pm
  • ok those are just fab. must have. love it!

August 8, 2010 11:36 am
  • Elina said:

This cocktail sounds really fantastic. I also feel like I should make more cocktails but wine usually wins. Making sangria for my last bbq inspired me – everyone loves a good drink. I bet watermelon margaritas would be mighty popular at a party :)

August 8, 2010 7:58 pm
  • This looks so refreshing today! I love watermelon cocktails ONLY when fresh watermelon is used. Nothing beats the refreshing flavor and beautiful color. Lovely margarita!

August 9, 2010 5:42 pm
  • Your margarita looks beautiful Sues :)

August 9, 2010 6:29 pm
  • Sharon said:

Watermelon Margaritas…OMG, I made these yesterday and they were fantastic! Perfect for a warm summer evening… and even better than their delicious taste was their beautiful pink, frothy color. These will definitely stay on my summer cocktail list. Thanks for the inspiration!!

August 9, 2010 6:33 pm
  • Just made this for a dinner I’m going to. OH YEAH! :)

November 17, 2010 6:41 pm
  • Janice said:

Watermelon margaritas and BBQ nachos. Absolutley wonderful! Smash hit for someone that doesn’t even like watermelon. Thank you for the post!

June 10, 2012 1:10 pm
  • Love this recipe…cant wait to try this weekend….from NC

August 2, 2012 11:03 pm
  • Lee Ann said:

I had my first watermelon – rita at Outback Steakhouse last night and OMGOSH!! These were soooooo good! I want to try and make your recipe now, it sounds great! Thank you so much for posting this on your blog. This is my first visit and your blog is terrific!
    ___