Barbecue Chicken Meatballs

September 15, 2010

I originally found this recipe for barbeque chicken meatballs and wanted to make it to watch the Patriots home-opener at my friend’s house this past Sunday but as you know, I ended up strolling around Boston the entire afternoon. I was looking for a delicious, one-bite appetizer but something other than the usual chicken wings and potato skins for football watching. I was really looking forward to trying these meatballs so I decided to make them for dinner last night. Plus, I wouldn’t have to share with anyone 😉 All of the ingredients are pretty basic and I think the touch of applesauce and the bits of heat from the chili powder make these meatballs special.

Here’s what you need:

• 1 pound ground chicken
• 2/3 cup bread crumbs
• 1 egg
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• 1 small onion, grated or diced
• 1/2 teaspoon paprika
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 tablespoons applesauce
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 cup barbecue sauce (I’m a big fan of Bull’s Eye original bbq!)

Here’s what you do:

• Combine the first 8 ingredients and form the mixture into 1-inch balls.

• Pour oil in a large skillet. Add the meatballs and brown them on all sides until cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.

• Add the barbecue sauce. Continue cooking until the sauce has reduced and sticks to the meatballs.

• Stare at the beauty for roughly 5 minutes before inhaling 😉

For dinner last night I just cooked a little pasta on the side to add some more umph to my meal, but these are definitely stellar on their own and the perfect party dish. I think two important things to keep in mind when making an appetizer for a gathering at someone else’s house… 1) make something that transports well and 2) make something that can be eaten in a clean way! These meatballs definitely fit the bill. And I’m about 110% sure if you make these for a party your friends will love you ten times more than they already do. Make them for your husband or boyfriend’s football watching buddies and they’ll love you, too. Not that they already don’t 😉

What’s your favorite appetizer to bring to a party this time of year?

Also, I just wanted to share the jewelry designer who created the gorgeous pieces in my last post about my walk around the South End. A couple people commented about how beautiful the necklaces were in the photo so I wanted to make sure to share her information. Her name is Jennifer Candon and she creates handmade, custom jewelry using pearls and other semi-precious stones. She also does bridal work! Here’s that photo again 🙂

Tagged With

26 Responses to "Barbecue Chicken Meatballs"

1. Those sound awesome! And I know my husband would absolutely love them too.

2. Annie says:

Oh sweet BBQ! Those look fantastic.

3. my friend mel makes a barbeque chicken dip that disappears the second it hits the table at parties. i don’t partake, but frankly, it’s a must-have appetizer! (i’m the nerdy vegetarian that brings crudites and wonders why i always bring home leftovers. whoops!)

4. Erica says:

Ow! These are perfect. I may make these this weekend- thank you for the idea

5. Katie says:

Thanks for sharing the jewelry designer! I saw that yesterday and was thinking “Ooooh ahhh!” as it is totally my style. BBQ Meatballs are pretty my style too! Thanks!

6. I love making my warm spinach and artichoke dip this time of year but these meatballs look great!

7. THese look awesome. Might need to make them tonight.

8. Kelly says:

I’m not usually a meatball kind of girl but I love the idea of the apple sauce. It made me think because I have a lot of apples on hand so I might try a variation with grated apples. Thanks for sharing.

9. Simply Life says:

yum! those look soooo good!

10. cailen says:

oohh! those bbq meatballs look super yummy. i like to bring homemade guacamole w/ chips or homemade gourmet pizzas to parties this time of year : )

11. Lauren says:

My husband would absolutely love these… definitely going to make them!

12. katelin says:

holy crap these look delicious. definitely want to try these!

13. Elina says:

Oh yeah, the boys would LOVE me if I made these. Going on the list! 🙂

14. Evan @swEEts says:

Now I’ve got my go-to app for football season.. Go Pats!!

15. sophia says:

OMG! Pop one into my mouth right now!!!

16. Joanne says:

I don’t know that I would actually want to share these. I think I would make a meatball sub out of them. Covered in provolone. They are quite genius though.

17. These look delicious — yum. I bet they’d be great, too, on a sandwich with some crusty bread.

18. Alicia says:

YUM – I love a good meatball!!! I love making a mexican 7-layer dip to bring to parties…..only problem with that is my addiction to tortilla chips!!!

19. Monique says:

this looks great! and juicy too! which i find is more difficult to acheive with ground poultry.
    I like making baked brie. its easy enough and still looks impressive 🙂

20. Susan says:

Wow, do these ever look great! I never would have imagined applesauce in meatballs but I’m sure it helps keep them moist and yummy. I’m going to try these soon! I usually end up making a huge container of guacamole for football parties.

21. Yummy yummy meatballs, they sound so good with bbq sauce!

22. For the record, I made these meatballs last night. The manfriend was drooling. Truth be told, some of them didn’t stay quite intact and were more like bbq chicken mash, but most were meatball-esque. Very yummy! We put them on top a bed of whole wheat pasta w/ a little parmesean, mozarella, cherry tomatoes and a few sprigs of basil. Yum yum! Thanks!

23. Kelsey says:

adding this to the definite to-try list. The applesauce caught me off guard but it looks great. Boyfriend will like this one.

24. diana says:

sounds great cant wait to try them

25. Greg says:

What a good idea. We will give them a try sometime and let you know when we do.

26. micki says:

My mother has made these quite a few times and they are truly delicious. Now I’m making them for my family! Already a passed down meal, thanks!