Fig, Prosciutto, and Goat Cheese Flatbread

OK, so I’ve been going a little bit overboard on the flatbread lately (trust me, there’s more). But when you find something good, it’s good. And all you want to do is make a billion different variations of it (ice cream, anyone?). And while I generally try not to share every variation of every dish I make, this one was just too good to pass up. Because it involved figs. FRESH figs. Which as far as I’m concerned are God’s gift to this Earth. And since they have a super short season, and a dried fig does not compare to a fresh fig, you must make this and you must make this quickly. Take my word for it.

This recipe involved me following NO rules. Because right when I saw figs and thought flatbread, I knew exactly what I wanted to do. Fig, prosciutto, and goat cheese flatbread. With a bit of arugula on top, of course. Trust me, you WANT to do this. Now. Any variation on it. But probably this one.

Fig, Prosciutto, and Goat Cheese Flatbread:

• Flatbread dough (You should make your own because this one is SUPER easy)
  • 8 fresh figs, stems cut and sliced
  • Extra virgin olive oil
  • Honey
  • 3 oz. goat cheese
  • 3 oz. fresh mozzarella
  • 5 oz. prosciutto
  • A couple handfuls of arugula

\ DSCN9567_2

First, contemplate the beauty of your figs.

DSCN9568_2

Then contemplate the beauty of your homemade flatbread dough. Next week you’ll get an on-camera demonstration of this dough (AND hear more about my obsession with it), but it’s easy. I promise. This dough is the first dough I made with yeast. And I was nervous. But it doesn’t involve kneading and is basically the simplest thing you’ll ever do. And once you make it, you’ll want to make a new batch every week. Flatbreads for life!!

DSCN9571_2

More fig contemplation. I think I’m in love.

DSCN9573_2

I sliced them up, but not too thin. I still wanted something to bite into.

DSCN9574_2

Prettiest things ever? I think so. The majority of my time in the kitchen was spent admiring the figs.

DSCN9578_2

I crumbled up my goat cheese, sliced the mozzarella, and tore the prosciutto into smaller pieces.

DSCN9582_2

Then I floured my surface and rolled out my dough. The more I practice, the easier it gets. You can make it any shape you so desire as long as you get it as thin as possible. Or not. I suppose, just because it’s flatbread doesn’t mean it has to be flat. I prefer it that way though.

DSCN9584_2

Then load the flatbread up. I drizzled and brushed some olive oil on first and then I laid out my figs. I drizzled honey over the figs. I sprinkled the cheese around and put on the prosciutto. Then I put a bit more olive oil on top and ground some pepper over the entire pizza.

DSCN9586_2

And I popped it on a 500 degree oven for about 15-17 minutes. Until I could see the crust was crisping up.

DSCN9590

The cheese got all melty, the prosciutto all crispy, and the figs even more tender.

DSCN9593

I threw a couple handfulls of arugula on top for an extra kick.

DSCN9595

And got down to business. In one word? YES. I can’t even describe the combination of flavors on this, but consider this with me for just a moment: You’ve got the sweetness of the figs and honey along with the saltiness and crisp of the prosciutto. Throw in the tangy bite of smooth goat cheese with the peppery crunch of the arugula. And basically, what the heck else could you want?

DSCN9599

The answer? Is nothing. Which is why I’m telling you to all make this right now. Before fresh figs go out of season. But you’ll have to beat me to the store, because I seriously might buy them out of stock. Ready, set, GO!

DSCN9606

Just kidding, the stores are just about closed here. Tomorrow. If I were making this again, I may consider putting the prosciutto on when I take the flatbread out of the oven. I loved that it cooked up so crispy, but it totally shrunk up and I think it could have been good put on after, too. I don’t know. I’m totally undecided on this because I did so enjoy it.

In other happy news, Chris and I just purchased a Canon Rebel T2i, so hopefully you’ll see the quality of my photos vastly improving from here on out (though I do still have some meals I want to post from the past week). I’m seriously dumb when it comes to cameras, so any advice anyone has for me is welcome. I know, I know I should take a class, but time does not permit for that in my life right now. I am, however, totally excited to getting snapping some photos! Finally!

What’s your favorite way to cook/bake with figs?

• wow. wow. WOW. that does look like an amazing combination! i LOOOVE that I learned how to make my own dough and now can’t ever buy it at the store knowing how easy and cheap it is to make at home!

September 9, 2010 8:47 pm

That is a GORGEOUS meal. I’ve never tried a fresh fig…I know! Wahoo on the new camera- luckkky ;)

September 9, 2010 9:00 pm
  • Chris said:

Pretty sure this was the first time I’ve ever had fig. Weird? Probably. Anyways, this was delicious.

September 9, 2010 9:18 pm

I ate a pizza of this same exact combination at none other than FIGS! It was incredible, and I bet your homemade version was even better. Todd English DOES in fact put his prosciutto on first ;) I remember it being shriveled and crispy. I bet a combo of both would be good too!

September 9, 2010 9:20 pm
  • Delicious! Figs and goat cheese are my favorite…

September 9, 2010 9:45 pm

and a drizzle of balsamic on top? really, keep the flatbreads coming, i’m not complaining :)

September 9, 2010 10:40 pm
  • Joanne said:

You and I think so much alike it’s insane! We should have a fig party. i’m in love with them. I may have to turn this into a pizza though…to continue on with MY obsession :P

Woot woot for the rebel! I can’t wait to see what you think of it since I’m thinking of investing in one!

September 9, 2010 10:47 pm

Is there any better combo than figs, goat cheese and proscuitto? Oh wait, arugula! Perfect!!!

September 9, 2010 11:19 pm
  • You know I am a figaholic.
    I posted this last week, though I cheated and used Naan flatbread.
    It was wonderful! I agree, figs are gifts from the Gods! I love them!
    Beautiful flatbread pizza Sues!

September 9, 2010 11:39 pm
  • Kerstin said:

Please keep the flatbread recipes coming!! This sounds like a combo you’d get at a restaurant – yum!

September 10, 2010 12:11 am
  • Grace said:

mmm! I love figs!This sounds lovely!

September 10, 2010 1:52 am
  • peachkins said:

amazing flatbread!

September 10, 2010 5:16 am
  • Lauren said:

Fabulous ingredient & flavor combination in this flatbread… plus, it’s so pretty! I’ve only cooked with dried figs, but there have been so many delicious-looking recipes on blogs this summer using fresh figs that I’m inspired to try my hand at using them.

September 10, 2010 6:48 am
  • newlywed said:

Beautiful! I am embarrassed to say that my fresh figs have never lasted long enough to be baked or cooked, because I am, it turns out, quite the little pig. I have tried Todd English’s recipe for Fig Pizza — it’s in the Figs book. He makes a fig-balsamic jam instead of using fresh figs. We really liked it, though the Figs pizza dough (that I bought at Figs!) had me on the bed in tears, after it nearly glued me to my kitchen! Well, we all have our moments…

September 10, 2010 7:47 am
  • CaSaundra said:

This looks great–it’d be fun to have as a party app!

September 10, 2010 8:10 am
  • Elina said:

I’ve been on a fresh fig kick this week as well. Mostly sandwiches so far but I do have a plan for a nice salad for lunch today. :)

September 10, 2010 8:18 am
  • Jess said:

we must have been on the same wavelength. I wanted to make a fresh fig pizza yesterday, but my mediterranean food shop was out. I ended up getting dried plums and French feta cheese and making it w/ some arugula and balsamic vinegar. SO good. blog post to come :-) and thanks for sharing your recipe!

September 10, 2010 8:24 am
  • Delicious! I am afraid of yeast (2 disastrous attempts to make bread), but perhaps I could try it again? So delicious and simple, love figs and goat cheese! Yum!

Laura

September 10, 2010 8:45 am
  • Tina said:

That looks delicious!!!

As for the camera, I just googled tutorials for dslr cameras and picked some things up that way. And just practicing and playing around with it helps a lot.

September 10, 2010 10:21 am
  • For some reason I never cook with figs, but I should! This looks so yummy!

September 10, 2010 10:42 am
  • Lizzy said:

I’ve never cooked with figs before but I LOOOVE pizzas like this!!! Just had one at Anthem. Another amazing recipe Sues!

September 10, 2010 10:52 am
  • Ashley said:

I live in boston too! Where do you buy your figs? (I promise not to buy them all out from under you). ;)

September 10, 2010 11:01 am
  • Susan said:

This looks amazing! I do love figs and always have a bag of dried figs in my car in case of a hunger attack. I just made a new appetizer using figs that I haven’t posted yet. Half of my guests loved it and half didn’t. Figs aren’t for everyone, I guess!

September 10, 2010 11:10 am
  • love figs!!! i never bake with them, just eat them straight up raw b/c i get too excited, but this sounds amazing

September 10, 2010 12:09 pm
  • Pam said:

It looks lovely and so delicious!

September 10, 2010 12:16 pm
  • Ooh, I love fresh figs! One of my favorite appetizers is fresh figs, local cheese, and crackers. This flatbread looks wonderful!

September 10, 2010 1:37 pm
  • Ok, seriously, that looks so delicious!! I will be trying it this weekend. I have been waiting for this ever since you mentioned it earlier in the week. Thank you!

September 10, 2010 1:43 pm
  • alright, i have to ask– how big is your kitchen! i thought we had counterspace, but i never would have considered making my own flat bread dough and THEN making such a pretty dinner! yummmm.

September 10, 2010 2:27 pm
  • wowsers! i’ve never had fresh figs (i KNOW) but this looks awesome! and i love prosciutto. yum. i bet this tastes as good as it looks! and congrats on the new camera. so fun!

September 10, 2010 2:31 pm
  • Sues said:

@Emily- My kitchen isn’t huge (I’ll have to do a video tour or something of it soon!), but I do have a butcher block that has a granite top and is the perfect size for rolling out flatbread dough! I love it because I don’t have to dirty up the counter (or clean it, as the case may be). Plus, it has a sweet wine rack and storage- it’s from Target and was pretty inexpensive: http://www.target.com/Granite-Top-Kitchen-Cart/dp/B001O5UJMY/ref=sc_qi_detailbutton

September 10, 2010 3:29 pm
  • Sues said:

@Ashley- I bought them at Whole Foods in Brighton! I’m not positive if they’re at “normal” grocery stores, but I’ll try to check it out this weekend and report back :)

September 10, 2010 3:31 pm
  • Kim K said:

i’ve only just discovered figs – and had NO idea how to prep them – skin on? skin off? cut that little nipple thing off? after google searching, i think i figured it out :) just had it with some brie on a cracker! but i def want to try this recipe. yum!

September 10, 2010 5:05 pm
  • I just found the most amazing gluten free flatbread recipe that I tried last night with huge success. Now this recipe will be added to make ASAP!!

September 10, 2010 6:12 pm
  • Lizzy said:

PS- Guess what I bought a whole foods last night?!??! Figs, Prosciutto and Arugula! I’m gonna make a cross between your pizza and Anthems this week!!

September 11, 2010 10:25 am
  • Sharlene said:

Oh my goodness, I can’t even describe the craving inside me right now. This flatbread looks insane!

September 11, 2010 4:51 pm
  • Noelle said:

Love your blog! I just recently discovered my love of figs and can’t wait to try out this recipe!

September 14, 2010 5:55 pm
  • Erika said:

So inspired by your blog! I’m always looking for more recipes where figs are the main attraction. This looks so yummy & elegant!

September 21, 2010 5:37 pm
  • Rachel said:

I made this last night to test it out … gave the boyfriend a sample this afternoon…. and found myself re-creating it for the second night in a row (plus made your sausage, grape, gorgonzola combo too). This is a new favorite!

September 26, 2010 9:11 pm
  • Anne said:

I am going to make the fresh fig with goat and mozzarella chesse today for a party. My wonderful Italian friend gave me a whole bag of fresh figs right off his tree yesterday. I can’t wait to make it. .

September 3, 2011 9:20 am