Stuffed Tomatoes

Hello and happy weekend! I know we don’t often post on the weekends, but I have SO many posts backlogged that I don’t have enough room to get them all out during the week. So, that means bonus weekend posts! Which I don’t think anyone will really complain about, right?

When I saw my parents last week, my dad gave me a bunch of fresh tomatoes straight from his garden. We ate several of them simply sliced with a little olive oil. But I wanted to actually make something with the remaining four. And when I saw a stuffed tomato recipe on Foy Update, I knew it would be perfect. I cut the recipe in half, but kept most of the filling since my tomatoes were a bit larger. The end result was exactly what I was hoping for.

Stuffed Tomatoes (serves 2):

• 4 medium tomatoes
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 slices wheat/whole grain bread
  • 2 T butter, softened
  • 1 T chives, chopped
  • 1 T fresh basil
  • 1 T fresh parsley
  • 4 T parmesan cheese, grated
  • Salt and pepper

I love when tomatoes aren’t perfect looking and have a bit of character. You can tell these are fresh from the garden. And not from the grocery store, where tomatoes are always magically perfect looking.

Cut the stem ends of the tomatoes off and scoop out the insides. Sometimes I get sad doing this since I just love the juiciness of tomatoes so much. But I did it anyway. And made sure not to pierce the sides of the tomatoes.

Now, lightly salt the tomatoes and place them in a buttered casserole dish.

In a food processor, combine the bread, butter, 2 T of parmesan, basil and parsley. Chris and I are “babysitting” my sister and Adam’s basil plant while they’re in Sonoma. This thing was $2.99 at Trader Joe’s and seriously keeps producing more and more basil. I definitely need one of my own because basil whenever you want it is a definite must. Or maybe I just won’t give it back to them when they return (or I’ll steal all the leaves off it first!).

Now crack an egg into two of your tomatoes. And don’t let the yolk break!

Put some parmesan and chives over the eggs.

And stuff the two remaining tomatoes with breadcrumbs and some more parmesan on top.

And pop them in the oven at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes, or until eggs are set.

My eggs kept looking “jigggly” so I left them in a little longer. OK, and I was blabbing on the phone with Chels, too, and just getting distracted in general.

So, when I took them out, the yolk was totally set, which meant no runny yolks.

But it wasn’t a problem at all because these were still delicious.

I loved how cute this dinner was– Unlike anything I generally have on my plate. It could be super fun to serve these to guests at a dinner party. I would also serve a big green salad along with it.

And if you have too many tomatoes in your garden (no such thing!) and need something to do with them, this is the perfect little idea for something different. As if you could ever get sick of just eating a tomato plain and simply sliced.

Also, I think this would make a pretty fabulous brunch. In fact, if I can snag a few more tomatoes from my parents’ this weekend, I might make this again later this week for breakfast.

I hope you’re all having wonderful weekends! Mine has been packed full of fun so far… I went from Massachusetts to New Hampshire to Maine today and then back again. Now I’m spending the night at my parents’ house and hanging out with them tomorrow. This week of work completely drained me and I really needed to get away from my computer and out and about. Hopefully I’m feeling nice and refreshed by tomorrow evening!

What’s your favorite thing to do with a plethora of tomatoes?

• Lora said:

These look incredible! Thanks for the recipe.

September 12, 2010 1:58 am
  • Oh what a great idea- those look perfect!

September 12, 2010 7:08 am
  • Joanne said:

More posts from you guys just means a happier weekend for me, so no I’m not complaining! I love the sound of this stuffing….excellent herb usage RIGHT HERE. And the cheese topping, of course, makes everything better.

September 12, 2010 7:39 am
  • I love that you used my recipe! They look delish! Now I want to make them again.

September 12, 2010 7:40 am

I have not had enough garden fresh tomatoes this year. Yours look so good all stuffed up! Also glad to hear you’re getting some you time in this weekend after a hectic week. Fresh tomatoes= caprese & panzanella salads

September 12, 2010 7:55 am
  • Megan said:

I think these would make a cute brunch dish as well! My absolute favorite thing to do with tomatoes is slice them, sprinkle them with a little, salt, and eat them. I also love throwing them in salads or making homemade sauce with them.

September 12, 2010 8:48 am
  • Chris said:

This was so delicious. Using the fresh tomatoes and basil really made a difference. These pictures look amazing. This post makes me want to have them again right now.

September 12, 2010 10:03 am
  • newlywed said:

These look great — love that there are eggs inside instead of rice or meat!

September 12, 2010 10:08 am
  • Heaven! I love how you put the egg in whole! I’ve got to try this!

September 12, 2010 10:31 am
  • Sharlene said:

Gorgeous dish! I love when things are contained in little edible packages like this. That’s so funny about your sister. My boyfriend bought me a basil plant from the supermarket a couple weeks ago but I haven’t been home to take care of it so he’s had it for the time being and gives me updates, “Basie is doing well today. Drank a lot of water.” It’s like our little love fern from How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days!! Love it. My favorite thing to do with fresh tomatoes is make margarita pizza. Can’t get enough of it!

September 12, 2010 10:36 am
  • I love making tomato sauce with fresh tomatoes — I used to make eggs baked in tomato sauce, served over polenta, with a little oregano. Mmm.

And salsa!

September 12, 2010 11:05 am
  • yum! these look a lot better than the stuffed tomatoes i saw last night at the greek fest. gonna repost on my facebook page!

September 12, 2010 11:24 am
  • I love stuffed tomatoes but never actually made them myself. This has inspired me! When I have an abundance of tomatoes, I love making marinara sauce.

September 12, 2010 12:45 pm
  • yum! i never would have thought of putting eggies in my tomatoes, but it seems like such a great idea! i’d totally love to make these southwest-style– maybe with some crispy tortillas on top and some extra hot sauce, too!

September 12, 2010 2:55 pm

I’ve been really backlogged with blog posts too and posting like two a day. Craziness. I love roasting tomatoes for sauce. I roasted some cherry tomatoes this weekend for a cherry tomato and goat cheese tart and the smell was unbelievable!

September 12, 2010 4:38 pm
  • Those look delicious! I love to make tomato, basil, and mozzarella salad :)

September 12, 2010 6:32 pm
  • Kerstin said:

These look perfect for brunch! Hope you’re able to relax and recharge this weekend :)

September 12, 2010 7:21 pm
  • Bridget said:

I need to work on my tomatoes better next year, they are delicious but I feel like we never have 4 big ones ripe at the same time :)
    These are so creative…I’d never think to have 1 tomato as the protein and 1 as the carb portion of the meal and yes cute enough to serve to guests!

September 12, 2010 7:55 pm
  • Yum! I especially like the ones with the eggs. A definite must-try!!

September 12, 2010 9:53 pm
  • Monet said:

I just found your blog tonight…and I’m glad that I did. I have a whole bowl of tomatoes just waiting to be used, and I love how cute and tasty these beauties look. Thank you for sharing with me.

September 13, 2010 12:42 am
  • lovely dish Sues! I love tomatoes stuffed with anything actually but the egg is a great idea.
    Magda

September 13, 2010 6:54 am
  • emily said:

your tomatoes look gorg! we have some great local tomatoes here right now, so your recipe comes at a perfect time!

September 13, 2010 10:44 pm
  • tomatoes said:

I've looked at many sites and not come across a site such as yours telling me everything I need to know. I have added you to my bookmarks, can anyone else suggest other related topics that I can search for to find out more information

September 30, 2010 2:12 pm