Candy Corn Ice Cream

October 18, 2010

I often wonder how many candy corn casualties occur each year. I have this theory that everyone begins life with a love for candy corn. But then comes one ill-fated day when they consume just one too many candy corn. Or more likely, one too many handfuls of candy corn. And then they’re turned off candy corn forever. Tragic. Lucky for me, I have a extraordinarily high candy corn tolerance. Sure, there are times I might hate it for an evening. But for the rest of life? Pshh, I don’t see that happening any time soon.

And when I saw this lovely recipe for candy corn ice cream, all I could think was “why didn’t I think of that?” Seriously, what is going on with my head that I never considered putting these two delicious entities together? And also, “I must make this ASAP.” Since Chelsee was throwing a pumpkin carving party over the weekend, I knew it was the perfect opportunity.

The ingredients are totally simple. Heavy Cream. Whole Milk. Candy Corn. I mean, does life get any better than this? How often do you make a totally amazing recipe with just 3 ingredients?

Candy Corn Ice Cream (makes about 1.5 pints):

• 3 C heavy cream
• 1.5 C whole milk
• 18 oz. candy corn

Put 1.5 C of the heavy cream into a saucepan over medium heat with almost all the candy corn. Though the recipe I followed didn’t call for it, I decided to save some candy corn to chop up and add into the final ice cream. I mean, I love the chewiness of candy corn and wanted to get some of that in the ice cream.

Watch as the cream turns orange. But really, stir until the candy corn starts dissolving.

Oh yes, my candy corn is starting to dissolve.

Then turn the heat off and let the cream come to room temperature. And watch it turn even orange-er 🙂

Once the cream is at room temperature, add the rest of the cream and the milk and put in an airtight container. Then put in the freezer for about 3 hours (the original recipe said to refrigerate it overnight, but I didn’t think that was necessary. Nor could I wait. Just make sure it’s chilled completely). Shake the container from time to time to get the candy corn loose.

Now you’re ready to put the mixture in your ice cream machine according to your manufacturer’s directions. Oh, the recipe I followed also told me to push the mixture through a sieve to get rid of the candy corn pieces that didn’t dissolve. Um, I wanted to keep those IN, so I skipped this step and put the ice cream right from the freezer to the ice cream machine.

I blended it on low-speed in my ice cream machine for about 20 minutes. And I also chopped up some more of the remaining candy corn and threw that in, too. Because why the heck not? If you’re going to do candy corn, you need to do it right.

Then you’ll want to put the finished ice cream in another airtight container and back in the freezer for about 2 hours. So much waiting I KNOW.

But then. It’s worth it.

Serve. With even MORE candy corn if you desire. I know, I’m tempting the candy corn Gods now.

This was pretty awesome. In a “why isn’t this being sold absolutely everywhere at this time of year?” kind of way.

Even without all the extra candy corn, this ice cream tasted exactly like everyone’s favorite Halloween treat. But creamier, of course. You could blindfold anyone, feed them a spoonful of this, and I guarantee they’d know right away that they were eating candy corn ice cream.

Also, have I mentioned how much better candy corn is when it’s slightly frozen? Yes, it does get better!

Come on, I mean candy corn season doesn’t last all that long, so you owe it to yourself to make the most out of it. Candy corn ice cream topped with and surrounded by candy corn is the perfect way to do so.

Just please, try not to overdo it.

Next up: I think I need to put this ice cream in a blender with another big bag of candy corn and create a milkshake out of it. What?

Also, if you haven’t seen our entry for Project Food Blog competition #5, please check it out and vote for it if you like it. We are seriously SOOO happy to have made it so far in this competition and we know a LOT of that has to do with you guys 🙂

And just in case you’re not totally bored of voting for us, perhaps you’d take one second to vote for me to become the next Good Mood Blogger? This gig would be a dream come true for me and literally all you have to do is click “vote” (they don’t ask your email address, name, or anything!). You can vote every day until November 10… Tell you friends too, if you’d like 🙂 THANK YOU! I’m pretty convinced our readers are the absolute best in the world!

Now, go and make this candy corn ice cream! Before you decide you don’t like candy corn or something like that.

Tagged With

47 Responses to "Candy Corn Ice Cream"

1. oh, girls… this is lovely.

I *LOVE* Peabody… probably the third blog I started reading !!

2. Um yes I want some please. I wish I had an icecream maker but my apt is seriously lacking in storage space. Although does Kitchenaid have an ice cream attachment for the mixer? Hmmm…

3. Sues says:

@Karen Yes!!! That’s what I have and it’s awesome. I keep the bowl in my freezer all the time, so it doesn’t take any counter/shelf space and it’s always cold enough/ready to go. As long as you have enough room in your freezer, it’s absolutely perfect!

4. Um, yeah. Thats kind of genius. GENIUS! LOVE IT! REminds me of the time my sister made red hots ice cream…

5. Sharlene says:

I love I love I love! And yes please make a milkshake out of this. Drinkable candy corn sounds dangerous but oh so delicious.

6. Victoria says:

This is brilliant!! What an awesome ice cream flavor, mmmmm 🙂

7. Liz @ Blog is the NEw Black says:

I die.

8. Gina says:

Oh my gooooodnessss, I’m dying. This needs to be sold in stores 🙂

9. Lora says:

This is just fabulous. A big thanks from a candy corn freak like me.

10. i used to eat candy corn by the BAGFULS and kinda od’d. but this might bring me back!

11. Oh my gosh!!! You guys are just amazing.

12. beautiful! i don’t love candy corn, but i bet i would love this ice cream!

13. Emily says:

omg… this really is incredible. What a clever idea!

14. sweetersalt says:

YUM – that is amazing. My fiancee and I love candy corn to the point where we can only buy the small bags, and then have to put it out of eye sight so we don’t pour it buy the bucket full down our throats. We’ve OD’d one too many times. But… I may need to try this this weekend!

15. Shannon says:

I’ve been wanting an ice cream maker for some time now… I know think I can say I “need” one. YUM YUM YUM!

16. Peabody says:

Glad you liked it. The next time I make it I will add candy corn pieces. I just wanted to see how much flavor I would get without the extra pieces. MMMMM.

17. Kristen says:

Trying this IMMEDIATELY. How have I not thought of this before?! I have a serious candy corn obsession. Good job ladies!

18. wow! what a good idea. i’ve been inhaling candy corn (fortunately for me, husband doesn’t like it) so i need some recipes to help with my addiction. thank you 🙂

19. Melissa says:

this looks awesome! Very festive idea

20. Monique says:

wow. amazing color! and the texture looks to die for. My roommate has been eyeing my ice cream maker. I think its time for some homemade ice cream! yums

21. Claudia says:

The candy corn gods are definitely smiling. Even making me think again about imbibing those sweet autumn treats again. And your Thanksgiving pizza remains inspiring – voted and good luck!

22. You have totally outdone yourself. And I am now in the market for an ice cream maker.

23. Beccy says:

Hey! I love your blog, but I just need to add a little opposition to your theory 🙂 I’ve always hated candy corn. However that might also stem from growing up in Germany and without many sweets!

24. Jeanne says:

Candy corn ice cream – what a crazy idea! But a delicious one.

25. Evan @swEEts says:

Candy corn ice cream!? I think I just died and went to candy corn heaven.. I’m one of those people that can’t wait for Fall solely because of the candy corn abundance.. I have one pack at home and one at the office at the moment 🙂 Just so I’m always near it!

26. theminx says:

Clever idea, but candy corn? Just the thought of it makes me want to go brush my teeth.

27. Heather I. says:

WOW, that idea had never crossed my mind, but I’m sure glad it entered yours! That is one dessert I’d never forget!

28. i love candy corn. even though i’ve eaten so much of it at points in my life, i’ve felt sick. i can always go back. and will always go back. and yummmmmmm.

29. Nicole says:

I can’t take much of the candy corn, but I completely agree that it’s better a little frozen 🙂

30. I don’t have an ice cream maker so I think Ben & Jerry’s or Edy’s needs to market this ASAP!

31. Joanne says:

I have a pretty high candy corn tolerance also. I totally OD on it on Halloween but then I’m perfectly fine for next year. Love this candy corn ice cream! I saw it on Peabody’s site and fell in LOVE. And now you just made me fall in love even more.

Just voted for you guys!

32. I’ve somehow never heard of this, but I love it! I live in Phoenix, where it’s warm year round, and am always thinking ice cream sounds perfect regardless of the season/holiday. Thanks for the cool idea and recipe!

33. Eden says:

ha, I wish I could hand this out instead of candy on halloween!

34. Meg Rosenberg says:

have u seen the candy corn recipes on this is amazing, i posted that your recipe for Candy Corn Ice Cream is up in the comment section for Candy Corn: Henge (a stone henge sculpture made of candy corn). Candy Corn Mousse and Chocolate Covered Candy Corn also on the food52 site. Other fabulous Halloween treats, including a delicious fall cocktail with Maker’s Mark, Apple Cider, and Maple Syrup. Cheers!!

35. Whoa. I gained 7 pounds just reading this post. I am not a candy corn fan at all but I think my boyfriend might finally propose if I served him this.

36. Juliana says:

Wow, what a great idea…love the color of the ice cream…must taste SO yummie!

37. This looks to-die-for-good! YUM!

38. I have to admit I’m not a huge candy corn fan, but your post is making me wish I had an ice cream maker and some candy corn!

39. newlywed says:

Oh, yum! I have a very, very, very high tolerance (okay, obsession) with candy corn, and can’t wait to try this!

40. PERFECT HALLOWEEN TREAT EVER! im not kidding, this is insane!!! i dont think its ever crossed my mind to combine ice cream and candy corn!!! <3

41. I just gained five pounds from looking at these photos alone.

42. MichellePC says:

This isn’t even funny how good this looks. An ice cream maker is definitely going on my Christmas list.

43. Kerstin says:

I love this! I usually overdo it with candy corn and then can’t look at it for awhile, but this looks like the perfect way to enjoy it!

44. Shannon says:

haha, why is it always that we eat to much of these candy corn?? 🙂 great job!!

45. Janel says:

Hi Ladies! I’ve been dying to make this and stashed a bag o’ candy corn from halloween to use this weekend for my friend’s dinner party. Question though – after you let the mixture cool, you said to freeze it overnight. Doesn’t it then become rock solid and impossible to put in the ice cream machine? Last time I made regular old (coconut milk) ice cream, I just refrigerated it for a few hours before putting it in the machine, but the ice cream machine bowl was frozen. Hope I’m making sense…anyway, let me know!