Project Food Blog #5: Thanksgiving Pizza… Pie!

What’s better than sitting down to a piping hot pizza? Well, Thanksgiving dinner, maybe. It’s getting close to one of our very favorite times of year and clearly Thanksgiving dinner is on our minds. And when we heard Project Food Blog challenge #5 was to come up with our own remix for a pizza, we started to imagine ways to turn a pizza into our favorite holiday.

Let’s face it, the various dishes involved in Thanksgiving dinner go together so well that you don’t even mind when they get all “touchy” with each other on your plate. In fact, you might even take your fork and pick up a little bit of turkey, some stuffing, sweet potato, and cranberry all at once. And when the holiday’s over, you still find yourself ordering Thanksgiving sandwiches whenever you see them. At least, we do.

As with most creative processes (or experiments) a brainstorm session is key and a great starting point to get all of your ideas out in one place. After spending many hours bouncing ideas off of one another we somehow came to the conclusion that instead of doing a traditional pizza, we wanted to play around with two rings of dough, one representing an “entree” and the other representing dessert. Once you finished the entree ring the dessert would be fully exposed for you to enjoy. We thought the idea was unique and creative but since it was a complete experiment we wanted to see how it look before we purchased all of our ingredients and got in the kitchen. Chels designed a simple inspiration board/”pie” chart (get it?) of some ingredients we were interested in using. Originally we were planning on leaving the top of the dessert ring exposed but we thought it would add such a nice touch to add a lattice top and really separate the two components!

For this recipe, we didn’t line up our ingredients to take a photo at the start. Like we mentioned, it was a major experiment for us and we just wanted to go where the pizza took us instead of being restrained by an exact recipe. And while you’re more than welcome to follow our recipe exactly, we also encourage you to add your own Thanksgiving favorites to your pizza. The more personal the better!

For both the outer and inner rings we used a traditional pizza dough, but seasoned each differently to better distinguish between the main course and the dessert. Let’s start with the entree dough. Of course, we followed the recipe for our very favorite no-knead dough (which we actually have memorized by now!).

We broke up a large amount of dough for our entree pizza (make sure to save some for the dessert pizza!) We added rosemary, sage, and Bell’s seasoning, making sure to work it into the dough. We were SO pleased with the results of this… the dough tasted almost exactly like our favorite stuffings.

Then we rolled the dough out.

And cut a circle in it just the size we wanted the inner dessert pie to be.

We removed the circle of dough and set it aside… We wouldn’t be using this for the dessert pie since it was already seasoned with the savory herbs. You can also use this piece to extend your outer ring if necessary.

Now we had our outer entree ring.

Which we lightly brushed with olive oil.

For the sauce component of our pizza, we decided to make a cranberry chutney using fresh cranberries.

IMG_0993.JPG

We lightly brushed the cranberry chutney on the outer ring.

IMG_0998.JPG

And sprinkled some gorgonzola cheese over the top.

We added some arugula for a bit of green. Which looked like a Christmas wreath and only gave us more ideas for the future ;)

And, of course, plenty of sweet potatoes and turkey (We cooked a small turkey breast ahead of time)! A little seasoning of salt and pepper, too!

At this point, we had quite the Thanksgiving dinner scene going on in the kitchen!

We baked the outer ring for about 15 minutes in a 500 degree oven. At this point prepare for your home to smell just like Thanksgiving ;)

———–

Every good Thanksgiving dinner includes pie, especially a classic apple pie! We used the same pizza dough recipe, making our pie a true “pizza pie.” But this time we added cinnamon and nutmeg to the dough to give it a sweet touch.

We cut the dough in a circle that would fit the center of our outer pizza ring. We saved the remaining sweet dough because we knew we wanted to make a lattice top for the pie.

We prepared our apple pie filling.

Apple Pie Filling:

• 2 apples (we used granny smith)
• 3/4 C apple cider
• 4 T fresh lemon juice
• 1/4 C sugar
• 3 T corn starch
• 2 t cinnamon
• 1 t nutmeg

First we peeled, cored, and sliced the apples. Then we tossed them them in the lemon juice and sugar.

In the meantime, we combined sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a saucepan over medium heat. We added the apple cider and brought it to a boil. Then we added the apples, stirred for a minute, lowered to a simmer, and covered for about 5 minutes.

The apples thickened up quite nicely. YUM!

We generously topped our mini pizza pie round with the apple pie filling and dried cranberries.

We rolled out the leftover sweet dough and cut it into strips for the lattice top.

And gently wove the dough to create the pie’s top. We also brushed the lattice with some melted butter.

We then sprinkled the top with some more cinnamon and nutmeg.

And baked for about 10 minutes at 500 degrees.

Once the pie was finished baking we assembled our Thanksgiving Pizza! We gently lifted the outer ring and placed it over the inner ring so it would essentially make one pizza and have a nice snug fit.

We always take things to new heights in the kitchen… especially when it comes to getting a good food photo ;)

IMG_1023.JPG

With most kitchen experiments there’s always the moment of truth. We know traditional Thanksgiving foods go well together but how would it all taste on a pizza? With an apple pie in the center?

We cut our slices…

IMG_1040.JPG IMG_1043.JPG

Inspected our work…

IMG_1045.JPG

Tried to sneak a couple of bites…

IMG_1046.JPG

Finally dug in…

IMG_1047.JPG

Savored each bite

IMG_1057.JPG

IMG_1059.JPG

Liked it so much that we inhaled another piece…

IMG_1060.JPG

And proudly showed off our masterpiece…

IMG_1064.JPG

IMG_1066.JPG

While sipping spiked apple cider. Naturally.

IMG_1069.JPG

Thankfully there were leftovers.

IMG_1070.JPG

And speaking of leftovers. We think making this pizza with your Thanksgiving leftovers this year is a brilliant idea! We also think there’s a chance we might make a few hundred of these, freeze them, and start shipping them out for a frozen Thanksgiving pizza year round. Because that would be heavenly for all of us. The pizza honestly tasted exactly like a Thanksgiving dinner. Which not only has us even more excited for the actual holiday, but it also has us super happy to know we can make this pizza year round! And the apple/cranberry pie dessert was a definite bonus.

If you would attempt to make this pizza with your leftovers (or buy one of our frozen ones, hehe) please vote for us! Voting opens tomorrow, October 18th!

[Sues and Chels]

• You two are SO creative – it’s impressive! I’m thrilled you made it to this round and can’t wait to see what else you come up!

October 17, 2010 4:29 pm
  • katiek436 said:

oh my goodness! This is so creative and looks great! I wish I were eating some of it now, not because I’m hungry but because it just looks that great! Now I can’t wait for the “dreaded” Thanksgiving Leftovers :) Voting tomorrow!

October 17, 2010 4:29 pm
  • Pizza is a thing of beauty and you made it a celebration to boot! GREG

October 17, 2010 4:39 pm

y’all are SO creative. Brilliant! you should start a business :) Of course I will be voting for you- now pass me a piece of the center :)

October 17, 2010 4:42 pm
  • Liz said:

You two are hilarious. So creative!

October 17, 2010 4:51 pm
  • Lizzy said:

What a creative idea… and perfect timing! You got my vote!

October 17, 2010 4:53 pm
  • Lauren said:

I really wasn’t sure what you two were thinking when I started reading this post but wow! It really came together and looks delicious! I may have to try this myself!!

October 17, 2010 4:54 pm
  • Kalen said:

HAHA… the picture of you standing on the counter resembles me last night trying to take pictures of the pumpkin bread I made! I thought my husband was going to lose his marbles!

October 17, 2010 4:58 pm
  • I WOULD ABSOLUTELY ORDER ONE !! ;)

this is so amazing and creative! you DEFINITELY have my vote! WOW – looks SO delicious!

October 17, 2010 5:00 pm
  • Chris said:

Seriously girls you really nailed this one. Talk about thinking outside the box… This is fantastically brilliant. *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap*

October 17, 2010 5:02 pm
  • Sharlene said:

This is SUCH an original idea!! I’m loving the whole thing, especially the extra dessert pie in the center. I think I’ll make this for a party (once I get invited to one)! Congrats on making it to the next round :)

October 17, 2010 5:26 pm
  • Amanda said:

Okay, that is just crazy creative. Not just a thanksgving pizza, but one with an apple pie in the center? That’s almost insane! Well you’ve impressed me, you’ve got my vote.

October 17, 2010 5:53 pm
  • Bridget said:

This was an incredible idea!! I love that you made the middle part a dessert, that is so creative! Not to mention delicious sounding!! I think you guys should definintely make it to the next round!

October 17, 2010 5:54 pm
  • Jessica said:

I totally love it!! You guys are awesome!! Best of luck with Project Food Blog!!!

October 17, 2010 6:02 pm
  • Liz @ Blog is the New Black said:

Awesome and creative idea!!! I esp love the middle being pie! :)

October 17, 2010 6:11 pm
  • Susan said:

Very clever! With dessert in such proximity to the entree, I’m afraid I’d head right to the center :)

October 17, 2010 6:16 pm
  • Sharon said:

OMG…Your entry is unbelievable!! “Creative, brilliant, incredible, amazing, impressive” does not even begin to describe just how you two have taken this challenge to the next level! You have blown us all away!!

October 17, 2010 6:20 pm

This is TOTALLY creative! You ladies have my vote for #PFB2010!

October 17, 2010 6:20 pm
  • rebeccaj said:

could not be hungrier. amazing idea!

October 17, 2010 6:36 pm
  • Elina said:

Wow, awesome!!! What’s slightly freaky is that on Friday night I decided that I was between making a Thanksgiving pizza and a dessert pizza (caramel sauce, apples and a cranberry reduction). Two-in-one is totally genius! :)
    My creation at the end was pretty awesome as well, if I do say so myself. :D

October 17, 2010 6:39 pm
  • Kerstin said:

Wow, how creative – love it!! Definitely the perfect way to enjoy Thanksgiving leftovers!

October 17, 2010 7:39 pm
  • Mike said:

I must say, that idea is awesome to put the dessert pie back into the center. I thought this was just another entry that made multiple pizzas but you completley wowed me. Congrats guys, I will be voting for you. Go Southie!

October 17, 2010 8:07 pm
  • Jaime said:

you two are adorable :) what a lovely idea, this looks fantastic!

October 17, 2010 8:12 pm
  • A. Judy said:

No more slaving over a hot stove at Thanksgiving trying to feed a cast of thousands for me this year………………I’ll take three of your special pizza’s to- go please!
    Incredibly creative and timely idea……a great new take on a classic and traditional meal in pizza form! What’s next for you two!?
    Another sure vote for WANM!

October 17, 2010 9:04 pm
  • Megan said:

This is awesome!! You guys so outdid yourselves this time. And I love the picture of Sues standing on the counter.

October 17, 2010 9:38 pm
  • Oh. My. Goodness. I freaking LOVE this!!! I think I’ve said that for every challenge but seriously? Amaaaaaazing!

October 17, 2010 9:54 pm
  • Brie said:

wow, that’s a very creative take on pizza – love it!

October 17, 2010 10:03 pm
  • This is one of THE best entries I’ve seen so far!!

October 17, 2010 10:06 pm
  • Erin said:

This is a great idea! Great creativity and really amazing!

October 17, 2010 10:07 pm
  • Not to be a brown-noser but this is seriously the coolest thing I have seen in a while! Wish I could vote more then once!

October 17, 2010 10:25 pm
  • #1 You two are brilliant. I LOVE this idea. Pie in the middle just makes it all the better.
    #2 The photos are fabulous. You two hamming it up at the end and of course Sues up on the counter. Perfection.

October 17, 2010 11:12 pm
  • Melissa said:

Awesome, awesome, awesome. You both are so smart and creative. Hands down, you get my vote. And I starred this post in my Google Reader because it’s such fun idea for entertaining. I love it!!! :)

October 17, 2010 11:35 pm
  • This looks so good! I love the pie in the middle, such a good idea & susie on the counter is great. (Steven)

October 18, 2010 12:02 am
  • Eden said:

That picture of you on table is hilarious! Who ended up eating this delicious creation!?

October 18, 2010 1:23 am
  • peachkins said:

so beautiful! I love your photos!

October 18, 2010 2:06 am
  • Barbara said:

How brilliant it that??? Fun to make, fun to eat., You guys are great. Voting now.

October 18, 2010 6:28 am
  • Wow you are so creative! What a unique idea. Funny post as well :)

October 18, 2010 9:15 am

unbelieveable! brilliant! you are always having so much fun in the kitchen too!

October 18, 2010 9:16 am
  • Maria said:

AMAZING! Love this pizza! Good luck:)

October 18, 2010 9:40 am
  • Melissa said:

I’m blown away by your creativity! Brilliant stuff girls! As always, you have my vote!

October 18, 2010 10:16 am
  • Megan said:

I love the pizza-within-a-pizza. So clever! I might have to do this on a future Pizza Friday, in fact. Good luck!

October 18, 2010 10:23 am
  • very creative presentation. I have never seen the idea before!

October 18, 2010 10:26 am
  • Lynn said:

Amazing! Y’all are so creative! That’s an award winning Thanksgiving dinner right there.

October 18, 2010 11:16 am
  • Monique said:

i am so happy to see you two still duking it out in this competition! This is a great entry! and SOOO creative! Might make my thanksgiving a million times easier…being that its my birthday and all. lol

October 18, 2010 11:17 am
  • WOW! We always eat the Thanksgiving dinner at the 99, and this is a surefire reason to make it at home, and satisfy all our tastebuds! We voted already!

October 18, 2010 11:33 am
  • Pam said:

So creative and tasty! Great job girls. I am off to vote.

October 18, 2010 11:52 am
  • oh girls, i love it! so creative, and you’re right, I think ill use my thanksgiving leftovers to make one of these!!

October 18, 2010 11:59 am
  • Kelly said:

This is the most brilliant creation I’ve seen in a long time! Well done – it’s making my mouth water :)

October 18, 2010 12:13 pm
  • I heart thanksgiving! You got my vote. I also posted a link to your entry on my other blog (ediblecrafts.craftgossip.com)… I posted my entry there today, but had to include some of my other favorites from the contest.

October 18, 2010 12:16 pm
  • This is awesome. Last Thanksgiving, my roommate and I discussed how awesome a Thanksgiving themed pizza would be. Our ideas were a little different than your pizza and definitely did not include that AMAZING center pie. But I was so excited when I saw your title–so glad you actually executed a Thanksgiving themed pizza! I can’t wait to show my old roommate. You’ve got my vote, ladies!

October 18, 2010 12:16 pm
  • Thanksgiving on a pizza?! GENIUS! You girls are so creative! Good luck! :)

October 18, 2010 12:18 pm
  • i absolutely love this recipe, best pizza idea ever!

October 18, 2010 12:41 pm
  • suuuuuch a good idea! i love it!

October 18, 2010 12:43 pm
  • I love it – what a creative idea!! Congrats to you ladies for making it so far – I’m seeing good things!! :)

October 18, 2010 12:58 pm
  • Lisa said:

Wow, now that is a Thanksgiving feast. Plus, the stuffing flavored crust? You’ve got my attention right there. Love your method for taking pics, I’ll have to try standing on my kitchen counter too. You’ve definitely got my vote. Good luck.

October 18, 2010 1:03 pm
  • This is so creative! Awesome idea. :)

October 18, 2010 1:21 pm
  • Anna said:

The best of all is to see how you girls are having fun together. Great job. Your pizza looks stunning.

October 18, 2010 1:26 pm
  • Lisa~KAM said:

You guys rock! What a fantastic idea! So where do I place my order? Voted ladies (=

October 18, 2010 1:35 pm
  • Katie said:

that’s such a creative idea! it looks soo amazing too, i’m definitely ready for some yummy thanksgiving food now!

October 18, 2010 1:51 pm
  • That is such a work of art!! Love the idea for Turkey day leftovers!

October 18, 2010 2:22 pm
  • Kim K said:

i want that. right now. my two favorite things in this world are (1) pizza and (2) thanksgiving. i actually have a song and a dance that i perform that i call the “pilgrim” at thanksgiving. i need to make that asap.

October 18, 2010 3:04 pm
  • Amanda said:

Great idea. And that dough looks drool worthy. Gotta go vote!

October 18, 2010 4:21 pm
  • joanie said:

Absolutely incredible…you gals are THE most creative and talented ever! Jim and I can’t wait to be your “tasters” …the sooner the better. Then, we’ll really feel like pizza gourmets! Go for the gold, “S & C”!

October 18, 2010 4:24 pm
  • Once again a fantastic post!!! You two make a great team! Are you looking for a third chef? ;-) One VOTE from me! Hopefully see you in Round 6! ;-)

The Young Foodie

October 18, 2010 6:46 pm
  • Just BEYOND creative and amazing!! You ladies hit it out of the park! You have a vote from me!

For my entry, I made pizza for all the wrong times of day: some Deep Dish Pizza Cupfakes and Pizzas Benedict :) Come see if you’d like!

October 18, 2010 7:17 pm
  • Love your opening Thanksgiving Pizza “map”. Creative and fun entry. You’ve got a vote from me! -Katy

October 18, 2010 7:29 pm
  • Julie Q said:

Your posts just get better and better! It took me 12 minutes to read this entire post because I was fixated on each picture!!! off to vote now :) you got this!

October 18, 2010 7:56 pm
  • annelise said:

this is amazing! I usually have pizza on thanksgiving, but this is much more seasonal than mine.

October 18, 2010 8:07 pm
  • This is such a creative pizza, and it looks absolutely delicious! Thanksgiving is also my favorite holiday, and I am definitely one of “those” people that takes a little bite of everything on my plate in each forkful. Thanks for the great recipe idea!

October 18, 2010 8:27 pm
  • Leah said:

What a unique idea for pizza! I’m loving the idea of the smaller pizza pie for dessert in the center. Great way to use up all those leftovers, too.

October 18, 2010 9:13 pm
  • Jules said:

Wow, what a creative idea! Love the two pies combined as one, and suddenly I am getting very excited for Thanksgiving : )

October 18, 2010 9:26 pm
  • Dudes, I thought I’d seen it all as I’m almost done reviewing all the Pizzas. I already knew I was going to vote for y’all, but you’ve blown me away with this one. Too fun and super creative. I love it!

Shelly, Nibbles of Tidbits

October 18, 2010 11:07 pm
  • I must make + eat this on Thanksgiving! One of the best PFB posts I’ve read. I love the 2 in 1 idea–brilliant!

October 18, 2010 11:38 pm
  • notyet100 said:

yummy,..

October 19, 2010 3:02 am
  • Joan Nova said:

What a fun idea — and great execution!

October 19, 2010 7:03 am
  • Lauren said:

Ladies… can I just say that this is an INCREDIBLY creative idea?! I love the ingredients you used, and the finished product is beautiful!

October 19, 2010 11:49 am
  • Jeanne said:

I love everything about this: the concept, the flavors, the photos! What a gorgeous pizza pie! I would definitely order one. And I’ll vote for you immediately!

October 19, 2010 12:02 pm
  • what’s better than thanksgiving dinner…on a pizza! Awesome. Love all the flavors and so super creative.

this is my first time to your blog. I’m loving finding all these new blogs through the contest. great job ladies and I totally digging that pearl bracelet! So chic!

October 19, 2010 3:08 pm
  • Nicole said:

Such a creative idea! Just voted :)

October 19, 2010 3:52 pm
  • You ladies never cease to amaze me with your creativity! I wish I could vote for your pizza more than once :)

October 19, 2010 5:01 pm
  • That is awesome!! Just voted for you — good luck!

October 19, 2010 6:07 pm
  • Beverly said:

What a fun & creative idea! You can bet I’ll be saving this for thanksgiving leftovers for sure!!!!!!! Who could resist thanksgiving leftovers made into a pizza?! AWESOME! And definitely voted for!

October 19, 2010 7:07 pm
  • Suzy said:

That is so cool! You guys are so creative and fun…I am so glad I found your blog through this contest! You’ve got my vote again!

October 19, 2010 9:04 pm
  • Super clever, and brilliant way to put Thanksgiving leftovers to use! :)

October 20, 2010 9:34 am
  • Melanie said:

You guys are my favorite contestants for a reason. That was pure genius.

October 20, 2010 4:20 pm
  • Reeni said:

I was thinking of doing a Thanksgiving pizza too! I’m glad I didn’t cause yours would of put mine to shame! Love the pie in the middle. So cute! Good luck!

October 20, 2010 8:58 pm
  • Alicia said:

you girls are so freaking creative. I’d like to place an order for 10 pizza’s please :)

October 21, 2010 1:08 pm
  • Sandy said:

Wowee Zowee, You 2 are just incredible…I wished I lived next door to you -your blog is so creative and so much fun.. I look forward to reading it ! Good luck you have my vote !

October 21, 2010 1:10 pm
  • A lattice topped pizza? For sure. This makes Thanksgiving clean up so much easier with dinner and dessert on one plate. Good luck!

October 21, 2010 1:42 pm
  • Jen H said:

Such a creative idea! I love the way it looks and I can only imagine how good it tastes. My favorite part of thanksgiving is mixing everything on the plate into one bit and it looks like you recreated that with your pizza!

October 21, 2010 3:31 pm
  • Lori Lynn said:

Most clever pizza! Most fun photos! You got my vote! Good luck!
    LL

October 21, 2010 6:27 pm
  • You really are the most creative domestic divas I know (or rather, read, I suppose)!

October 21, 2010 8:34 pm