“In the Bag” features in magazines and on blogs are my absolute favorite. I think it’s a combination of a couple of things. One, we’re all a bit nosy and for some reason it’s intriguing to see what other normal people carry around on a daily basis. Two, who doesn’t love a good makeup or beauty recommendation? I’m a product junkie (or a “marketer’s dream come true” as my dad once described me). Yes, I love good packaging and creative branding, but most importantly, I love a good product. And when I find a good product the first thing that comes to my mind is to share it with everyone I know. That’s where this blog comes in handy I think we all deserve to know when a product just works the way it should.
I’ve mastered the art of doing my makeup in no more than 5 minutes. I think it’s because I stick to just a handful of products. Easy peasy.
Although there aren’t many, these are my tried and true makeup favorites:
1. Revlon Illuminance Creme Shadow. I’ve been using these shadows for years and, for the price, nothing else seems to compare. The quality is great, the colors in each quad are stunning, and they work just as well, if not better, than any designer creme shadow. Trust me, I’ve compared. (find it)
2. NARS Cordura Eyeshadow. This is my go-to duo of shadows. It’s what I wear if I decide wearing makeup is necessary on any given ordinary day. A little of the light gold as a base and to “dress” things up a little, the darker mocha color is used as an accent. They’re just easy shades that work with basic outfits. (find it)
3. Chanel 19 Enigma. My initial thought when I bought this shadow was “mehhh, a bit pricey”. But this was the first shadow where I could literally feel a difference as I applied it. The richness of the colors really shined through, the way the shadow fell off the brush and across my eyelids was definitely more noticeable than any other powder shadow I’ve ever used. The colors just pop and the minerals in them add a nice subtle twinkle. (find it)
4. Chanel Glossimer 227 (Pleasing). I’m not going to lie, I’ve gone the greater part of my 20s just wearing Vaseline and chapstick on my lips. I never considered myself a “color on the lips” kind of gal. Although I’ve experimented with color, I just felt most comfortable without. I recently decided I perhaps should act like a lady and should add a touch of something, so I tried this lip gloss. Which, by the way, my sister has been wearing since she was 2 years old. Kidding. But she’s been wearing Chanel Glossimer for as long as I can remember. It literally feels like a really nice chapstick. (Not so sure how Chanel would feel about that statement!) But it’s in no way sticky and it’s as smooth as can be. But it adds the perfect touch of glossy color. This is my most highly recommended makeup product. If I had to pick just one item to wear for the rest of my life, it would be this. (find it)
5. C.O. Bigelow Mentha Lip Shine. When C.O. Bigelow’s Boston location closed a year or so ago, my first thought was, “How will I get my mentha?!” Then I quickly discovered I could just order it online. Crisis averted. But this is my basic gloss, for everyday wear. Especially raw and windy winter days. It keeps your lips coated nicely to prevent chapping, but adds a strong layer of non-sticky gloss. It looks and feels dazzling. (find it)
6. MAC Format Frost Blush. I don’t wear concealer or coverup so the only way I add a touch of unified color to my face is with this blush. A couple or few quick sweeps with a big brush and that’s all you need for a glowing face. (find it)
7. NARS Liquid Eyeliner (Shake Down). I don’t wear eyeliner too much, but when I do, typically for an evening out, I like to have fun with it. My go-to “fun” eyeliner is a liquid. The consistency of the liner gives you optimum control over the weight of the line and the colors are quite vibrant. (find it)
8. Chanel Inimitable Intense Mascara (10). Saving the best for last. Have you ever purchased a cosmetic and thought to yourself “I always want this in my life?”. I mean, that’s dramatic. But that’s how I feel about this mascara. Ever since high school I’d worn Jet Black by Clinique mostly because my eyes are so sensitive due to allergies. It served its purpose but it never blew me away. Recently, while purchasing a refill, I walked by the Chanel counter and started talking to their makeup artist. I told her I was looking for a mascara but had sensitive eyes etc. Long story short, she told me she too had really sensitive eyes and always wears the Chanel’s Inimitable Intense. Yes, I’m the idiot who believes anything any salesperson tells me. But I bought the mascara and I’m happy to report it knocks my socks off. The consistency, the richness, the brush, everything. It takes your lashes to an entirely different level. I’m the first to admit that I don’t have much to offer in the eyelash department and just wearing this the past couple months makes me feel like I can bat my lashes proudly (find it)
I’ve shared what’s in my bag… so what’s in yours? What are you favorite, tried and true cosmetics? The products you absolutely can’t live without or the ones you most proudly share with friends?