Broccoli Soup with Sauteed Mushrooms

Need a detox after weeks of holiday eating? Nah, me neither. But just because I love nothing more than to indulge in cupcakes and cookies and eggnog desserts, doesn’t mean I don’t like my veggies, too. In fact, I’ve never had anything against vegetables. I just think they can be a bit boring sometimes. So, rather than simply eat up the huge bushels of broccoli I had in the fridge (why the heck did I buy so much in the first place?), I wanted to do something a bit more fun with them. Yes, I just used the word “fun” to talk about broccoli! Every recipe I looked up for broccoli was “stir fry” or “broccoli and pasta.” Ugh, boring. Until finally I started seeing a few broccoli soups.

Seriously, this soup took about 10 minutes to make. I’m not lying. It was incredibly easy and perfect for a busy week night. I combined a few recipes because I wanted to keep the nutrition of the soup, but also wanted to add some creaminess. The obvious solution for me is Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt is pretty much ALWAYS the answer. Especially Chobani. Yum.

Broccoli Soup with Sauteed Mushrooms (serves 4):

• 2.5 lb. broccoli, florets only
• 1 t olive oil
• 4 oz. mushrooms, sliced
• Handful of fresh parsley, chopped
• 2 t lemon juice
• 1 T red pepper flakes
• 2 cloves garlic, peeled
• 4 oz. plain Greek yogurt

IMG_1964

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook broccoli florets until they start to soften, but are still bright green (about 5 minutes).

IMG_1972

In the meantime, heat the olive oil in a pan and throw in the mushrooms, garlic cloves, and red pepper flakes. Season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.

Add the parsley and toss.

IMG_1971

Now, all you have to do is remove the broccoli from the water (but save water) and put it in a food processor (or blender). Puree the broccoli, adding a little of the water to the puree as you go. Here, I also added the Greek yogurt for an extra bit of creaminess and continued pureeing. Taste. If you want it thinned out a bit, add more water. You can add more yogurt, too. Whatever you want! Season with salt and pepper.

Serve topped with mushrooms and parsley.

IMG_1990

Since it’s pretty certain that I will not be satisfied with only a bowl of soup, I knew I needed to have a little something on the side. And generally carbs make me the happiest. What? If I’m getting my veggies in, a few carbs will do no harm. Luckily, I had some leftover flatbread dough in my fridge. I also just received some pesto from the amazing Pestos with Panache by Lauren.

I had been DYING to try the Fabulous Fig and Gorgonzola pesto. Doesn’t just the name make you drool?

IMG_1982

So, I decided to simply roll out the dough, spread the pesto on top, and bake it for about 10 minutes at 450 degrees.

IMG_1985

Then dig in to a giant bowl of beautifully-colored broccoli soup. I thoroughly enjoyed the soup, but I’m telling you, it basically tastes like a big bowl of broccoli. So healthy, but it definitely needs some major seasoning. Salt, pepper, and I’d add in some more hot peppers for flavor’s sake.

IMG_1986

But I do love broccoli, so this really did hit the spot. Next time? I might actually puree some sauteed garlic up with the broccoli. That could give it the perfect kick. The soup was warm when I served it, but I bet it would be good cold, too.

And the bread! I wasn’t sure how the pesto would do in the oven and while it did brown up quite a bit, it was delicious. Perfect for dipping. I think I want to spread the fig and gorgonzola pesto on everything. Welcome to my life, Pestos with Panache! Please stay for a while.

IMG_1999

I’m fairly obsessed with the color of this broccoli soup. The mushrooms on top were a perfect touch, but for an even greater pack of flavor, you could mix them in.

IMG_1997

Phew, could this broccoli soup help me get off the sugar kick I’m currently on? Nope, probably not. In fact, I’m super disappointed the holidays are over and I have no more excuses for making holiday baked goods. Well, I guess there’s always New Year’s, right?? Yup, definitely making some baked goods to celebrate the coming of 2011.

How do you make your vegetables more fun?

P.S. Thank you SO much for all the engagement congrats and wedding-planning advice. I’m so excited to get started :)

• I am not a big fan of broccoli but I’m liking it in the soup.I should give it a try!

Nisrine

December 29, 2010 10:54 pm
  • Those mushrooms look Ah-Maze-Ing. I’m totally bookmarking this recipe! And I don’t have to make veggies more fun because I love them just the way they are :)

December 29, 2010 11:44 pm
  • This recipe is so elegant. Perfect for a rainy day. But you should try making your own pesto…or even experiment with different types of bread toppings. It’s really fun.

December 30, 2010 12:14 am
  • that soup sounds terrific – esp. with some cheddar cheese on top!!!

December 30, 2010 2:30 am
  • wow nice work with that soup, and yes, I am definitely drooling over that pesto!

December 30, 2010 8:15 am

Yum. I seem to love every green soup I try. I like making my vegetables into “fries” in the oven. So tasty!

December 30, 2010 9:50 am
  • I am definitely saving that soup recipe! Not that I need to detox or anything………….

December 30, 2010 9:55 am
  • I’m a huge fan of Pestos with Panache, especially the fig and gorgonzola one!

December 30, 2010 10:50 am
  • Melissa said:

I love this soup idea! Always looking for new easy weeknight dinner ideas. I’ve never tried Pestos with Panache but they sound so good! Must get my hands on some!

December 30, 2010 11:27 am
  • Sues said:

@Redo My Shoe- Yes, I LOVE making my own pestos!! But I also love keeping Pestos with Panache in my fridge when I went a quick dinner and a fun spread :) Pesto is probably one of my favorite things ever!

December 30, 2010 11:55 am
  • I really will need to try this recipe – healthy but with a bite :)

December 30, 2010 12:18 pm
  • Mandi said:

Sauteed mushrooms? I’m there…I love the sound of this soup – I always love any soup that has broccoli in it in some capacity. And I’m with you…totally not ready to stop my baking spree yet.

December 30, 2010 2:14 pm
  • Obsessed and not just for the obvious reasons. Mostly because I feel like I could make this and eat the entire thing without feeling the least bit guilty.

December 30, 2010 2:47 pm
  • Lizzy said:

I just made a Broccoli soup from Edible Perspective. I love Broccoli soup! And Pestos with Panache is awesome! So many amazing flavors…

December 30, 2010 2:56 pm
  • I am totally making this. I love healthy creamy soups, and I definitely need to bulk up on veggies after lots of meat and cheese these past couple of weeks!

December 30, 2010 4:02 pm
  • Amy said:

Yumm! I’m so excited for another veggie soup recipe! I love this recipe for zucchini soup. It’s healthy & SO easy! You just need 4 sliced zucchini, 1 onion chopped, as much garlic sliced as you’d like (2-5 cloves), chicken bullion cube, and water. All you do is saute the onion and garlic in olive oil then add the sliced zucchini and soften. Throw in the bullion cube, cover with water and boil. Then take an immersion blender or put in a food processor and blend till creamy!

December 30, 2010 4:33 pm
  • Susan said:

Oh, wow! I want to make this right now it looks so delicious. I’m going to try making lots of healthy soups in the next couple of months and am adding this one to the roster!

December 30, 2010 6:34 pm
  • This soup looks wonderful, beautiful pics. I puree veggies in a blender to make sauces and dressing, throw them in a food processor with seasonings for a veggie “rice” and usually have a collection if raw dips and sauces to try with them.

December 30, 2010 8:14 pm
  • emily said:

Your broccoli soup is so pretty! Definitely better than a stir-fry.
    And that pesto does sound to die for. :)
    And congrats on getting engaged…so excited for you!

December 30, 2010 9:35 pm
  • Sharlene said:

I actually get cravings for broccoli pretty regularly but I’m always trying to think of new ways to eat it. This sounds perfect. Maybe with a few tweaks on seasonings? Also, I’m completely jealous of your pesto. It sounds like a party in my mouth.

December 31, 2010 11:41 am
  • Wow, what a picture, i can guess how much delicious this food is..

Nice Receipe.. I will do it.

Delicious, You guys are rocking.

Sapna
    +91 9829061228

Email spicespulses@gmail.com

December 31, 2010 1:29 pm
  • Bridget said:

This soup sounds fabulous! Esp since it seems so quick to come togehter, and I love your idea about adding garlic :)

December 31, 2010 5:22 pm
  • I’m always looking for healthful recipes, especially those that involve vegetables. This soup really fits the bill!

January 1, 2011 10:22 pm
  • What a great flavour combination for a soup! I like the use of the Greek yogurt to add creaminess!

January 2, 2011 1:01 pm
  • Great pictures! This soup not only sounds delicious but looks delicious as well! A perfect way to eat your vegetables.

January 2, 2011 3:57 pm
  • I literally have every ingredient for this soup in the fridge – except for the mushrooms…..I know what I’m doing tomorrow!

January 2, 2011 7:01 pm
  • Alicia said:

Yum! I love the colours as well! I just book marked this – can’t wait to make it for the cold days ahead!!

January 3, 2011 9:20 pm
  • Sarah said:

January 10, 2011 5:35 pm
  • Hi! I just “stumbled upon” your blog because of the gorgeous picture of this soup. Thanks for sharing. You guys are really cute! I will be back…

January 11, 2011 10:00 pm
  • I made this soup as soon as I got home from work today. I’m not a fan of mushrooms, but they are great with the lemon, garlic, and pepper seasoning. I don’t think I added enough Greek yogurt, which is a healthy way to add creaminess to any soup. Overall, it is a delicious soup that’s easy to make. I would definitely make it over and over again!

January 12, 2011 8:21 pm