Sparkling Peppermint Sugar Cookies

December 9, 2010

It seems like every year, I get a ridiculously slow start on my holiday baking. I think it has something to do with the fact that Christmas seems to sneak up on my so quickly. One minute, I’m minding my own business eating pumpkin and the next minute Santa Claus is coming down the chimney. And let me tell you, Santa Claus does not enjoy pumpkin parfaits. Oh no, pumpkin is far too healthy for him. He’d much prefer sugary, buttery cookies. Like these ones.

I spotted this recipe on one of my favorite dessert blogs, With Sprinkles on Top, and the photo was just too stunning for me to resist. I changed up the recipe a bit (like adding some more mint extract for an extra holiday kick!), but was overall, totally happy with the results. And I think Santa would be, too. Not that he needs any more sugar in his system.

Sparkling Peppermint Sugar Cookies (makes about 24):

• 3/4 C sugar
• 1/2 C butter (1 stick), softened
• 1 egg
• 1/2 t vanilla extract
• 1/4 t mint extract
• 1 2/3 C all-purpose flour
• 1 t cream of tartar
• 1/2 t baking soda
• 1/2 t salt
• 1/2 C crushed candy canes or peppermint candies (about 7 candy canes)
• 1/4 C sugar, for coating

(pre-heat oven to 350 degrees)

Though they’re just regular old candy canes, I have to say, I was quite surprised a 10-pack was only $1. I mean, after inflation and all, I would have figured CVS would try to get at least $2.99 out of me for this box. And you know, I am so trained to pay that that I actually said, “these are only $1? Ew, they must be generic” as I searched for the non-generic ones. Then I realized a) they’re candy canes. Is there a non-generic? and b) each one of these probably costs $.00001 to make. So, I gladly grabbed a few boxes and went on my way, before there was a markup on aisle 5.

First, you’ll want to crush your candy canes or peppermints.

I crushed mine in my little Cuisinart mini chopper. You know, next time I’ll probably just put them in a bag and throw some books on top of them or something. Because instead of crushed, these were more pulverized (I’m telling you, this little machine has A LOT of power).

See? This was after only a few presses of the button. Like powder. They worked fine, but bigger pieces may have been a bit prettier in the final product.

Combine 3/4 C sugar, and butter in a mixer (or bowl with hand mixer) and blend at medium speed until creamy. Then add egg, vanilla, and mint extract and blend to combine.

In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt.

Slowly combine that to the butter/sugar mixture and blend on low speed, until fully mixed.

Then, stir in 1/4 C of your crushed candy canes.

And mix it up.

Take the other 1/4 C of crushed candy cane and mix it in a bowl with the remaining 1/4 C sugar.

Now, shape the dough into 3/4 inch balls and roll in the sugar/candy mixture.

Place the dough balls about 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.

I managed to get some larger pieces of candy cane on the dough; and not just powder.

Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes (I would try to stick to 8 for softer cookies) at 350 degreees. And then let them cool on cookie sheet for about 1 minute before moving them to a wire rack to finish cooling.

I absolutely loved these! It’s like taking a sugar cookie and kicking them up some major holiday notches. And I feel like the “chewiness” of this cookie is very easy to control. If you want a crunchy cookie, bake for 10 or 11 minutes. But if you want a chewy, soft cookie stick to 8.

These are totally the kind of cookies Santa will go crazy for. I mean, they’re buttery, sugary, and super pepperminty. Plus, I think they’re kinda pretty. I think the reindeers would even eat these.

And since I can’t remember the last time I ate a candy cane for enjoyment, this is the perfect thing to do with those little inexpensive treats.

Which begs the question: why is it so hard to find peppermint candy canes these days? After a quick trip to Target’s candy aisle last year, I realized they had almost every single possible flavor candy cane in the world (soda flavors?!), except for peppermint. And all those other flavors? Yup, they’re more than $1 a box! Peppermint totally gets the shaft.

Oh and by the way, if you’re looking for another awesome holiday cookie recipe, try these Chocolate Peppermint Bark Cookies I made last year. And please, let’s embrace the peppermint candy cane (but not so much that prices are driven up).

Happy holidays! Now let’s get sugared up!

What’s your favorite flavor candy cane? Does it bother you that peppermint candy canes seem to be neglected?

Tagged With

51 Responses to "Sparkling Peppermint Sugar Cookies"

1. Annie says:

Yay! I’m so glad you liked these 🙂

2. Roberta says:

Those cookies are beautiful. They look so good. And I don’t even like peppermint.LOL

3. Karen says:

These cookies look delicious! I’m definitely adding them to my Christmas baking list. Oh, and I just made those exact same peppermint bark cookies from Bon Appetit last night! 🙂

4. Brilliant! I love how candy canes make everything look so festive.

5. your right, these cookies are so pretty!

6. These are beautiful cookies!

7. Erica says:

These are adorable! So festive. I honestly don’t think I’ve eaten a candy cane in years. I guess wintergreen would be my fav flavor though

8. Shannon says:

ooh, classic 🙂 i’m with you on peppermint candy canes!

9. These look so pretty! I love taking a candy cane and putting it in a mug of hot cocoa. Yum!

10. Tabia says:

OMG I want to leave work right now and go home to make these. Wow.

11. Monique says:

How awesome! I havent started my holiday baking. I keep meaning to bake and gift but i keep bringing them in for people i work for… lol. ugh.
    Can you freeze cookies??
    and hold the phone… i have to go back in your posts… do i see HOMEMADE VANILLA EXTRACT??? no effing way! i need to get on that ASAP

12. Julie Q says:

these look so delicious!!! I’ve been on a peppermint kick lately, will whip these up for xmas eve fo sho 🙂

13. Victoria says:

These are so festive and they look delicious! I love peppermint (one of my favorite holiday-time flavors!)

14. Nicole says:

I love the pretty candy cane dust! Soda flavored candy canes? Peppermint all the way.

15. i like peppermint okay – i LOVE it with cookies and chocolate though!

16. Sharlene says:

These cookies are gorgeous! I love the adaptation of simple sugar cookies into something more festive.

17. Rhonda says:

Something about candy canes that illicit the holiday spirit. I am traditionaly all the way…must red and white stripped peppermint.

18. Pam says:

What a fantastic idea! I can’t wait to try these tasty treats.

19. Kerstin says:

Sugar cookies are my favorites and these are so pretty and perfect for the holidays! I

20. These look so pretty! I love the classic peppermint candy cane for sure!

21. Kelly says:

Gorgeous. I too, made cookies with peppermint the other day. So yummy. Must. Post.

22. beautiful cookies! can’t wait to try them 🙂

23. These look and sound tasty. I’m totally going to try your peppermint cookies sometime soon.

24. emily says:

your cookies look so festive and delish! i made a giant batch of cookie bark tonight, and i’m definitely on some kind of sugar high. 🙂

25. Velva says:

Christmas has a way of sneaking up on me too. This year, I decided (first year) I am going to bake (scary thought), and these cookies might just be on my list. My kids would love them.

Happy Holidays to you and your family!

26. joan says:

Peppermint! The other flavors do not speak “holiday” for me. 🙂

27. Lizzy says:

I bought all these ingredients yesterday.. I cannot wait to make these cookies! They look awesome. I’m a pretty bad baker so I hope I don’t miss them up. Thanks Sues !

28. Lizzy says:

I bought all these ingredients yesterday.. I cannot wait to make these cookies! They look awesome. I’m a pretty bad baker so I hope I don’t mess them up. Thanks Sues !

29. Marie says:

the peppermint cookies you made last year are my FAVORITE christmas cookie now- I made them last winter and everyone loved them- making them again this weekend! 🙂

30. I personally don’t really care for peppermint, but we are having a hot chocolate bar at my work this week and I think my co-workers would love these!

31. Mary says:

Peppermint is a flavor that I really love. These cookies look beautiful and I’ll wager that they are delicious. I hope you are both enjoying the weekend. Blessings…Mary

32. Susan says:

Those are the prettiest dessert!

33. These are great! Been trying to think of something to make for Xmas day snacks and this has given me few ideas of my own, thanks!

34. Elle says:

These look so festive! My 7 yr old son just decided he *does* like candy canes, so these would be fun to make with him. Thanks!

35. Stephanie says:

These look great! I haven’t bought candy canes in years but now I want to just to make these cookies.

36. Denise says:

I made these tonight to share with my daughter’s ballet class tomorrow after their Nutcracker performance for the parents. We sampled a few and they are delicious. My daughter is so excited to share these with her friends. May even make more for my husband to take to work this week. Thanks for sharing all your recipe finds!

37. Kori says:

These sound delicious! What a fun way to use candy canes. Thanks for sharing, and a very Merry Christmas to you!

38. Kelsey says:

Megan made these and they were awesome!

39. The Nanny says:

Found you on and baked these cookies tonight as a trial run before making more as christmas presents, they turned out great and so easy to make. I bought 48 candy canes since they’re difficult to find so I stocked up when I saw them, guess I’ll be making loads of these 🙂
    Thank you from across the pond.

40. Sues says:

@The Nanny- Thanks so much for commenting! I’m so happy you found our blog and liked the cookies! I definitely stocked up on candy canes, too 🙂

41. Rainy says:

I made a batch last night and they were PERFECT! Today I’m working on a big batch for church on Christmas morning. Thank you!

42. Karen says:

I dipped these on one end in white chocolate and then in crushed peppermint. Very festive!

43. Liz says:

Definitely making these at my holiday cookie party Sunday! Can’t wait! Candy canes are my absolute favorite, and these look fabulous.

44. Craig says:

Made these this past week for a cookie swap. Came out awesome! Highly recommended. No changes needed (and I even doubled the recipe).

45. Emily says:

Just finished a batch for my cookie boxes I’m giving as gifts…awesome! Super easy, tasty, and pretty! Loved it and will be holding on to this recipe for next year!!

46. Andrea says:

Candy canes is perfect for christmas, my children love it! I have made it yesterday from your recipe.

47. snobby pants 101 says:

i really love these cookies i was just kidding these cookies are actually amazing you did an amazing job! keep up the good work they are awesome,beautiful,gorgeous

48. Calderon says:

49. Heather B. says:

They are so pretty! A joy to make. Just finished a batch for Xmas. Might chocolate drizzle some.