Sweet Potato Cookies with White Chocolate Chips and Cranberries

For some reason, the other night while I was sleeping I thought, “Hmm, I wonder what a sweet potato cookie would taste like”. Don’t ask how that thought popped in my head, but I swear some of my best ideas come while I’m half asleep or dreaming. I love sweet potatoes in every form (mmm, sweet potato pie!), so I figured it was necessary to incorporate it into a cookie.

The following morning, the first thing I did was get to researching. I found quite a handful of recipes that sounded promising, but decided this recipe from Evil Shenanigans sounded the best… because of the white chocolate chips and cranberries ;) That combination, along with sweet potatoes, sounded outstanding to me! The Evil Shenanigans’ recipe actually included pecans but, as you all know by now, I had to omit them due to my allergy. Oh, and while we’re on the topic of my tree nut allergy… I had a piece of almond by accident in a salad recently and I wound up with a swollen lip. Doesn’t look like this allergy is going away any time soon. Waa waa.

Anywho. Back to these show-stopping cookies, my dear friends.

Here’s what you’ll need:

IMG_2519.JPG

• 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
• 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
• 1/4 cup white sugar
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 1 teaspoon vanilla. I, for some reason didn’t have any more vanilla extract, so I used vanilla beans, which, for some reason, I did have. Go figs ;)
• 1 egg
• 1 cup sweet potato puree
• 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1/8 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
• 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
• If using, 1/3 cup pecans, finely chopped
• 1/4 cup dried cranberries

It’s times like these when I’m impressed with my spice cabinet since I had everything :)

Here’s what you do:

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line your baking sheets with parchment paper.

IMG_2521.JPG

• In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter, white sugar, brown sugar, and honey until fluffy.

IMG_2522.JPG

My Dad bought me this honey from a farm near my parent’s house and I am in love with it. I need a refill soon :)

IMG_2523.JPG

IMG_2524.JPG

• Add the egg and vanilla (or vanilla beans) and mix on a medium speed until light and fluffy.

IMG_2525.JPG

• Now, add the sweet potato puree and continue to mix.

IMG_2531.JPG

IMG_2532.JPG

• In another bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and all of your spices together.

IMG_2533.JPG

• And add the flour mixture to the sweet potato mixture until everything is nicely incorporated.

IMG_2536.JPG

mmmmmmmmmmm, mmmmmmmmmm, mmmmmmmmm.

IMG_2538.JPG

• Gently fold in the cranberries, white chocolate, and other add-ins you chose to use.

IMG_2539.JPG

• Next, you’ll drop tablespoon size scoops onto the baking sheets and bake for about 10-12 minutes. They’re supposed to be soft but I suggest keeping an eye on them as they approach the last few minutes of baking as different oven settings vary. If you feel they need some additional time, feel free to keep them in a bit longer. They’ll continue cooking/setting after you take them out of the oven, too.

The flavors in these cookies could easily be my best friend. They all worked so well together and the moistness and consistency of them, quite honestly, blew me away. Yes, they’re cookies, but the texture is a bit muffin-y or even cake-y, which was a pleasant little surprise.

IMG_2545.JPG

IMG_2546.JPG

I tried to share with co-workers as much as possible, but let’s be honest, I wanted them all for myself. And since we’re playing the “let’s be honest” game… I’ve been eating them for breakfast, too ;)

[Chels]

• Oooh great idea- they look delicious and like the perfect cookie consistency!

January 23, 2011 3:27 pm

Such a great alternative to the pumpkin cookie. LOVE this idea!

January 23, 2011 3:39 pm
  • Love the idea of a sweet potato cookie! These look terrific.

January 23, 2011 3:50 pm
  • Jess said:

What a creative idea!~

January 23, 2011 3:52 pm
  • Victoria said:

I come up with recipe ideas when I’m falling asleep too! This looks like a great sweet potato cookie! I would totally eat them for breakfast, so don’t feel guilty ;-)

January 23, 2011 3:57 pm

ooh, how fabulous. especially with those cranberries and white chocolate :)

January 23, 2011 3:59 pm

I would have never thought to make sweet potato cookies! How fun. I’m a fluffy cookie fan, so I would definitely be down with the cake like consistency!

January 23, 2011 4:00 pm
  • Kerstin said:

What unique cookies! I’d enjoy them for breakfast, too, after all sweet potatoes are healthy, right? :)

January 23, 2011 4:04 pm
  • Lauren said:

I’ve been thinking about these since you mentioned them on Twitter… they look fabulous! I LOVE sweet potatoes… and white chocolate + dried cranberries… and cookies :) .

January 23, 2011 4:24 pm
  • I am so glad you liked them! Your cookies looked really tasty … those last shots made me start craving them again!

January 23, 2011 4:58 pm
  • Sharlene said:

These sound fantastic! I love all things sweet potato so I’m sure I’d love these too!

January 23, 2011 5:20 pm
  • Christ on a cracker! These guys sound divine. I’m also in the eat-sweet-potato-in-any-way-shape-or-form camp, so I will be making these promptly!

January 23, 2011 5:54 pm
  • Sweet potato cookies sound fabulous! And best of all, they don’t sound bad for you! hah

January 23, 2011 6:10 pm
  • i have been looking forward to this one ever since you tweeted it. love sweet potato anything. and they look good girl. i made one a couple years ago with a savory twist.
    love that name evilshenanigans!

January 23, 2011 7:22 pm

This sounds fabulous! I wake up thinking about food…I love that you dream of it!

January 23, 2011 8:02 pm
  • I love this idea! Genius!

January 23, 2011 8:38 pm
  • This is such a creative little cookie – They look so delicious, and I can understand why you haven’t been able to stay away from them. Thanks for sharing! I’ll have to try these next time I have leftover sweet potatoes.

January 24, 2011 1:00 am
  • These sound so good! I was thinking of making oatmeal cookies with white chocolate chips and cranberries last night, but went with pb oatmeal with white choc chips instead. Wish I had seen this first – yum!

Laura

January 24, 2011 9:33 am
  • Too bad you couldn’t make it to the cookie swap party because I would have loved to try these. Actually I picked up a can of sweet potatoes last time I was at WF and thought they’d make great cookies. Yup, looks like sps definitely belong in cookies!

January 24, 2011 11:41 am
  • Elizabeth said:

Omg, sweet potato and white chocolate, yes. I’ve used pumpkin in cookies several times, never sweet potato though (I think). I’m definitely curious how it tastes baked into a cookie.

January 25, 2011 4:39 pm
  • Hey Chels, what a great eureka! moment, I love trying out flavours that wouldn’t normally be put together, so this recipe has given me a few ideas for some new recipes.

January 26, 2011 10:44 am
  • bianca said:

I LOVE sweet potatoes but my hubs hates them! He does love white chocolate however, so I’m tempted to make these and not let him in on the fact that they have sweet potato puree to see what he thinks. Great idea, thanks for sharing!

January 26, 2011 11:29 am
  • Katie said:

sweet potatoes, white chocolate and cranberries sounds like an amazing combo! i need to make these!

January 26, 2011 1:34 pm
  • Tami said:

Such an interesting combo of ingredients! I love sweet potatoes but not so much white chocolate but I would try these anyway. The combo has piqued my curiosity. :)

January 27, 2011 4:49 pm