Young’s Double Chocolate Stout Brownies

January 4, 2011

On New Year’s Eve morning, I told Chris to pick out a dessert for the evening. See, I love cooking and baking but sometimes I hate coming up with ideas for what to cook or bake. I went and took a shower and when I came back, he showed me a recipe for Young’s Double Chocolate Stout Brownies. Obviously he would pick a dessert involving beer, right? But we’re both big fans of Young’s Double Chocolate Stout and it was definitely a dessert I could get behind.

We pretty much spent our New Year’s Eve hanging out in the kitchen sipping champagne and goofing off. And playing with the new flash Chris’s dad got us for the Canon Rebel 2Ti. We ended up with A LOT of photos. Which is also how we ended up with the fun video you see at the end of this post.

I changed up the original recipe a bit… mainly because it was written using the metric system. I don’t like math and converting things and I wish the world would just use the same system already. Blergh. Anyway, I converted it for you. You’re welcome. And Happy New Year πŸ™‚

Young’s Double Chocolate Stout Brownies (makes about 16 brownies):

β€’ 1 C Young’s Double Chocolate Stout
β€’ 5 oz. plain chocolate (I used Ghiradelli bittersweet 60% cacao)
β€’ 3/4 C unsalted butter (1.5 sticks)
β€’ 1 cup light brown sugar
β€’ 2/3 C flour
β€’ 1/2 C cocoa powder
β€’ 2 large eggs

Have you tried Young’s Double Chocolate Stout before? Even if you’re not a beer fan, I think you might enjoy this. I mean, it’s chocolate! And it’s delicious.

Start off by pouring the beer into a measuring cup and setting it aside to let the foam settle.

Wear a cute apron if you have one. Lucky me, my friend Erin gave me this adorable one for my birthday. I’m pretty much in love with it! And it just happened to kind of match my outfit…

Get out your double boiler or build a makeshift one like I do (just boil a pot of water water and place a heat-safe bowl over that. Lower water to a simmer).

Break the chocolate into the bowl with the diced butter.

Stir until melted.

Remove from heat and make sure the mixture is nice and smooth. Then beat in the sugar. I used my hand mixer. And allow the mixture to cool to lukewarm.

Whisk together the flour and cocoa powder and set aside.

Beat the eggs into the chocolate/butter mixture…

Until it looks glossy.

Then stir in the chocolate stout.

And fold in the flour/cocoa mixture.

My mixture was super lumpy, so I used the hand mixer to smooth it out, without over-beating.

It still had a few lumps, but I figured it was just fine.

Now pour the mixture into an 8×8 pan covered in parchment paper. You might be able to simply grease the pan if you want, as covering a square pan in parchment paper is somewhat of a pain. However, if you want an excellent tutorial on how to cover the pan, I suggest this one.

Pour the batter evenly into the pan.

And pop it in the oven for 20-22 minutes at 365 degrees.

Let the smell of chocolate permeate your kitchen.

Remove the pan from the oven. Let cool in pan.

If you used parchment paper, you can easily lift the brownies out of the pan before cutting.

Cut into 16 squares.

Marvel at how these are more like pure fudge than brownies. And how excited you are to try them. Especially since they were made with beer! Chocolate beer!

Make sure you have a can of beer ready to drink along with your brownies.

OK, fine champagne will do, too. It was New Year’s Eve, so we had to pour some bubbles!

Plus, the lovely couple sitting next to us at Grafton Street bought us this bottle after we got engaged.

Oh yes, the brownies. WOW. I’m not even sure I would describe these as brownies. They were more like squares of fudge. So yes, you have to be a fudgy brownie person to like these. Which I most certainly am.

The stout definitely wasn’t overpowering, but you could tell it was there. And I absolutely loved that.

OK, now don’t laugh. But we decided New Year’s Eve totally called for some flavored alcohol-infused whipped cream. I’m not even a fan of whipped cream, but this caramel one? SO good. I will be making milkshakes with this STAT.

And it was absolutely perfect to top the brownie with. Yes, I realize that I just made a brownie with a stout and topped it with an alcohol-infused whipped cream. No, these brownies are not for children.

But if you are an adult, you will enjoy this immensely.

The next morning, Chris was going through all the photos we took and said “there’s so many photos, it actually looks like a movie.” So, we decided to make one. It actually looks like I’m making the brownies… You’ll also see me making the cinnamon rolls that I’ll be posting about later this week (and some shots of the delicious steak tips we made from the Meat House). This movie is so much fun, I’m thinking we might have to make them more often!

New Years Cooking from Chels and Sues on Vimeo.

So, that’s how I got my New Year’s off to a great start. How about you?

Tagged With β†’ β€’ β€’ β€’ β€’

48 Responses to "Young’s Double Chocolate Stout Brownies"

1. Lexi says:

these sound AMAZING and I know that the boy will love them. I think I’ll be making these this weekend, in a cute apron, of course!

2. Not sure how I have been missing out on a chocolate beer AND alcohol infused whipped cream all this time! You just gave me an amazing excuse to look for both, though!!

3. Kim K says:

those sound/look amazing! i wish i wasnt just starting my biggest loser competition! by the way, i saw that alcohol infused whipped cream in my local liquor store and apparently all the college kids are using it in a different way than how us fogies would use it πŸ˜‰

4. Erin says:

Love the video! and of course I love the apron πŸ˜‰

5. Ooh yum! I’d like one of these right now, please!

6. sweeter salt says:

You guys are too cute! And… these look delicious! I made my fiancee a Guinness chocolate cake with Bailey’s Irish Cream frosting for his birthday last year (Oh my god, it was good). I’ll have to store this recipe away for when he needs a special treat. The boy loves his beer and chocolate!

7. Erica says:

Wow! Those look like fudge! how delicious. And I’d be all about that whipped cream. How about on top of a cup of coffee or cocoa? Yum! A great way to kick off the New Year. We spent our New Years in with Mandi & Bryan. It was low key and fabulous.

8. i’ve made guinness chocolate cake, but this looks EVEN BETTER!

9. Oh my goodness! I am making these next. They look incredible. The whipped cream made me laugh out loud πŸ™‚
    There is nothing better than an evening in the kitchen with great homemade food and bubbly!

10. #1 Those look amazing.
    #2 Please make a movie every time. I LOVED that.

11. Emily says:

These brownies are the coolest. my husband would love them (since they involve beer and all). The video was adorable – the song is perfect and you guys look like you had the perfect evening. Happy engagement!

12. tbella says:

Those sound so delicious! And I’m really tempted to get some boozy caramel whipped cream before that’s illegal.

13. I already told you on facebook that I love that video. Were all the pictures taken with an external flash? They look fantastic!

14. Daisy says:

Happy New Year! The addition of caramel boozed up whipped cream is very necessary!

15. A couple of thoughts: (1) I totally make Bret pick out meals all the time. Like you, I don’t mind cooking it but I don’t often want to decide! (2) Did you guys self-timer that photo? Haha – love it! (3) I totally tried the whipped cream at a party last month and totally agree – SO GOOD! and finally (4) I got your email and will respond as soon as I can!

16. Simply Life says:

oh I’ve never seen those before – they look great!

17. Shannon says:

I LOVE Young’s… I made brownies on NYE with Godiva White Chocolate LIqueur but I want to make these now too!

18. Mmm, these look delicious. And I love the cute apron!

19. Mandi says:

I am so in love with chocolate stouts! This recipe sounds friggin awesome. BTW, that video…too cute!

20. veron says:

love this fudgy looking brownies. never made them with stout though, curious now.

21. Sharlene says:

I have heard that whipped cream can really get you tipsy it’s apparently so alcoholic! The whole combination sounds like a dream though. And I love the picture of you and Chris in the kitchen. So cute!

22. Sarah says:

Not usually a fan of beer, but I may just purchase some of this chocolate stout to try this recipe out – looks delish. Filing away the idea for the Superbowl!

23. Beer AND Brownies?! You’re like the perfect soon-to-be wife! lol πŸ™‚

24. Those look utterly decadent, especially with that whipped cream on top. I’m really needing a brownie now. πŸ™‚

25. Barbara says:

You’re right…the video is really cute!

I must be living under a rock because I have never heard of Youngs Double Chocolate Stout OR the caramel whipped cream! But does that ever look delicious. My sons would love those brownies! (yes, they are adults!) Guess I better investigate!
    Happy New Year my friend!

26. Shannon says:

you two are too cute πŸ˜‰ and fudge? not complaining πŸ™‚ for some reason, i’m craving brownies now…

27. peachkins says:

wow! that brownie looks to die for!

28. Brownies with beer? Yes, please!!!

29. How do you discover this stuff?!? Alcohol-infused whipped cream? I seriously need a genius idea like that so i can quit working and be the genius who came up with say, feet warming socks or something. The brownies look delicious πŸ™‚ Happy new year, friend!

30. Julie Q says:

seriously, you already know how cute i think that video is! plus the song is so fitting- cos the music video was kind of like that too πŸ™‚

31. Jaime says:

I’m not a fan of beer but you sure make me want to try this!

32. Kelly says:

Mmmm, I mad some brownies with guiness a few years ago for St Paddy’s and despite my not liking beer, I loved them. Yours look equally tasty. I saw that whipping cream at the liquor store yesterday. It definitely piqued my curiousity!

33. Shelley says:

Hehe, this video makes me smile every time! Ask Chris about the stupid video we tried to make when he was here last…Oh and those brownies look delish!

34. Rebel mel says:

Lookin’ good ladies! I’ve been planning on branching out with my stout-baking; maybe I’ll try these brownies next!

35. Pam says:

Rich and decadent!

36. MJXS says:

Right, it contains alcohol, so not for children. Because one beer across twenty-four brownies will certainly give a child alcohol poisoning.

37. Sues says:

@MJXS- Hi! If you’re a new reader, you might not get that I joke around a lot. And I never said a kid would get “alcohol poisoning” from a brownie (in fact, the alcohol burns off!), but the whipped cream does have lots of alcohol in it. Anyway, it was all in good fun. Thanks for visiting!!

38. These look DIVINE. I am not a huge beer fan, but I plan to hunt this chocolate stout down! Some for baked goods…and some for me πŸ™‚
    I can’t wait to try these out, thanks for the conversion!

39. Oooh, stout and brownies! Amazing! I want one right now. My husband would go crazy for these,

40. Those brownies look excellent with the double chocolate stout, must have such wonderful rich chocolaty taste!

41. Bridget says:

Those brownies looks SOOO amazing! So chocolaty!! I know my husband would love them too!
    Ok your the first person I’ve heard of trying that flavored whipped cream…I always thought it looked gross when I saw it at the store, but if you say its good I believe it!

42. emily says:

I need to get some chocolate stout stat! I haven’t had too much success with homemade brownies, but yours look delicious. and alcohol enfused whipped cream sounds like the perfect topper! πŸ™‚

43. Wow, Delicious. And that caramel whipped cream looks perfect as a topping!!

44. Erin A says:

I JUST saw these! Way too funny. I made Double Chocolate Stout Cupcakes with Young’s for my St. Patty’s Day post! OMG that stuff makes some GREAT cupcakes and I bet these brownies are to die for also!

45. Cranky says:

These look awesome and I will make them for my wife as soon as she has the baby. Two comments:
    1. I love how you also have bottles of Rogue’s Shakespeare (or is it their chocolate?) stout on the counter behind you. As well as other interesting looking beers behind that—what is the silver waxed one?

2. While the idea of alcohol infused whipped cream is awesome and only right and natural, I respectfully submit that you missed the opportunity to make this whole chocolate monster even more delicious by making the whipped cream from scratch and mixing in a different chocolate beer. A friend of mine made a home brewed stout that was an incredibly sweet, syrupy chocolate mess, drinkable only in the smallest portions. It made an amazing whipped cream.

Other than that, you are obviously a genius! Thanks for the great recipe.

46. Sues says:

@Cranky- Awww thank you!! Behind the Rogue Shakespeare (yum!) I see a Pretty Things Jack D’Or. And behind that? I *think* it’s a Unibroue Γ‰phΓ©mΓ¨re, but I may be wrong. We tend to have lots of beer around our kitchen, always!

And you’re totally right… Next time homemade whipped cream it is. Yum!

Congrats on the baby πŸ™‚

47. Alain says:

In the foreword of tge recipe, you mention that the world should use on measuring system. Well… it almost does. The USA is, with only a few remaning countries, resisting the change to the metric system. T is a much more logical system. I grew up in Canada with the impreial system and in 1976, we switched to the metric system and i would never go back. Of course it does tske a certain adaptation time. and for a good while both values were printed on products… and still is. But we adapted. It’s the nature of humans to adapt… but the resistance to changes is probably stronger… All that being said, i can’t wait to try you recipe with the Mocha Stout my brewery just released ! Cheers!!!

48. elizeth says:

That looks divine. Its a shame we dont have this cream in Brazil,but Im sure it will still be amazing. Thanks and cheers.