Chocolate Heart Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches

I’ll admit I’m a total sucker for Valentine’s Day. Not in a “let’s go on a date and shower each other in flowers and chocolate” kind of way. But more of a “ooh pink!” “oooh hearts!” “ooh candy!” kind of way. I get total joy out of going to Target at this time of year and seeing all the pretty pink and red heart stuff. Plus, I’ve always believed (whether I’ve been in a relationship or not), any excuse to love your life and the people in it is a good thing. Valentine’s Day just makes me happy. You can tell me to shut up now. I’m sorry.

Anyway, I can’t believe I didn’t already own heart-shaped cookie cutters until about a week ago. Travesty! I purchased a set and have been going crazy with them since. And, of course, they can be used for more than just Valentine’s Day. Hearts are cool year-round, right? But first, I really loved the idea of these chocolate strawberry ice cream sandwiches, so I did a little variation on them.

Chocolate Heart Cookie Sandwiches with Ice Cream (makes about 16 sandwiches):

• 2 3/4 C all-purpose flour
• 1/2 C cocoa powder
• 2 1/2 t baking powder
• 1/4 t salt
• 12 T (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
• 1 1/2 t pure vanilla extract
• 1 1/2 C sugar
• 2 large eggs
• 1 T whole milk
• 1 pint ice cream or frozen yogurt (I used Ben and Jerry’s Cherry Garcia Fro-Yo)

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. And set the bowl aside.

Now, get out your electric mixer/hand mixer/whatever and use the paddle attachment to cream together the butter, vanilla, and sugar.

Then add the eggs and milk and mix until combined.

And slowly add in the flour mixture, mixing on low speed until fully incorporated.

Divide the dough in half and shape each into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for about an hour, until firm.

Once an hour has passed, roll it out into 1/8 thickness on a floured surface. My dough was a bit tough to roll out, cracking here and there. But I just kept pushing it back together (maybe I over-mixed?).

Now use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut the dough. You can really use any size (or any shape if you don’t like hearts!) as long as you make sure there’s a same-sized top and bottom for each sandwich.

Keep going until you get through all the dough. When I had cut as many hearts as I could, I took my remaining dough and rolled it back out to get more.

I only ended up using one of my dough disks and kept the other in the freezer for a later date. I got about 16 hearts from one disk.

Now, place the hearts on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and chill for another 30 minutes. I hate chilling things; it’s booo-ring. But I know it’s important.

When you take the cookie dough out of the refrigerator, use a fork to prick holes all over the hearts.

I could have been a little neater on mine… That’s what the next disk of dough is for!

Now, bake the cookies until firm, about 12-15 minutes at 350 degrees. Let them cool on the pan for a bit before cooling all the way on a metal rack.

Once cooled, you’re ready to sandwich in some ice cream! I used frozen yogurt in an effort to make a delightful treat a little less sinful. I know, what’s the point? But I actually do love Ben and Jerry’s frozen yogurt and can barely taste a difference. I wanted something pink-y, but couldn’t find strawberry frozen yogurt at my grocery store!

You know me, I would usually make my own ice cream. But time was of the essence. And ice cream, while easy, takes tons of time in the freezer.

Anyway, the Cherry Garcia was delicious! Any kind of ice cream/frozen yogurt would be good sandwiched in between these cookies, though. Then again, the cookies would be fabulous plain, with no ice cream at all. But still, you should add it.

Especially if you love ice cream sandwiches. Shaped like hearts.

Make these for someone you love this Valentine’s Day. Or make them for yourself. Because you love yourself, right? And you totally deserve it.

The ice cream melts quickly, so you’re probably better off eating these at home alone anyway.

Of course, if you absolutely hate Valentine’s Day, you don’t have to use a heart cookie cutter. Perhaps you could find a skull and crossbones cookie cutter? Or maybe you could use the heart, but break the cookie down the middle. Just whatever you do, make cookies and put ice cream in the middle. And you’ll have a very happy Valentine’s Day :)

Do you love or hate Valentine’s Day?

And yes, I know it’s totally over-commercialized, but I guess sometimes I’m a sucker for commercialization. And hearts. and pink. And red. And love! OK, I’m really done now.

• Those. Look. AMAZING. The fact that you put Cherry Garcia in the middle was like the clouds parting and the Universe shouting “You must make these!” ;-) I feel a little guilty commenting on these chocolate wonders, not because of Sweat and the City, but because I’m partaking in the 7 day vegan challenge. I’m curious if I could research vegan substitutes for the eggs & butter, and put coconut ice cream in the center. Thanks for sharing! :)

February 8, 2011 11:20 am
  • I am totally with you about Valentine’s Day. Whether I’ve been in a relationship or not, I can’t help but smile about a holiday (albeit a commercial-driven one) that focuses on love!

February 8, 2011 11:47 am
  • Ohhh, love these! And the cherry garcia is perfect along with the chocolate. Can’t wait to give them a try myself.

February 8, 2011 12:18 pm
  • Elizabeth said:

These are fantastic. Ice cream sandwiches are quite possibly one of my favorite desserts ever. Did the cookies get soft from the ice cream at all?

February 8, 2011 12:21 pm
  • Monique said:

i am having some girls over the saturday after Vday. I totally dont hate the holiday but sometimes the obviousness that everyone around you is in love is like pouring salt in an open wound. I think its a fun holiday but only when its not being rubbed in my face.
    But im no scrouge. I love everyone. And I promote love all round.
    I might be making these as they look fantasmo

February 8, 2011 12:34 pm
  • Rose said:

These are too cute!

February 8, 2011 12:40 pm
  • Lauren said:

*LOVE* these ice cream sandwiches! Great idea to use Cherry Garcia as the filling :) .

February 8, 2011 12:49 pm
  • Maria said:

Love these!

February 8, 2011 1:08 pm
  • These are totally adorable.

February 8, 2011 1:09 pm
  • These look delicious! I better run out and get some heart-shaped cookie cutters too:-)

February 8, 2011 1:13 pm
  • Totally stole my idea! ;) LOVE THIS!

February 8, 2011 1:14 pm
  • Megan said:

I love Valentine’s Day too. It’s the perfect excuse to make pink treats (see my post on Friday), shower someone with love and affection, and make a romantic dinner. I don’t think it has to be about flowers and jewelry and such… just spending time together… even with friends… I used to throw girlie v-day parties when my friends and I were single.

February 8, 2011 1:22 pm
  • Awh, these are so cute! I’m not a big Valentine’s Day fan, but I do enjoy the reds and pinks and cuteness. I just posted my Beet Risotto recipe, which is a go-to for V-Day, so I supposed I’m somewhat in the spirit.

Laura

February 8, 2011 1:29 pm
  • Ann said:

I just realized that I don’t have heart shaped cookie cutters either! I will be hunting some down this week. I think for our Valentine’s treat I’m going to go old school sugar cookies with pink icing and red sprinkles. I also will use any excuse I can to wear all pink :)

February 8, 2011 1:50 pm

These are so cute!!! I recently discovered the HUGE selection of cookie cutters at Sur La Table and have been looking for a fun project using some of the more unique ones… ice cream sandwich cookies it is!

February 8, 2011 2:00 pm
  • yum yum yum!
    just one question– why do you have to poke the holes? i never understood that!

February 8, 2011 2:32 pm
  • Julie Q said:

You really need to put up a disclaimer for pregnant women about going to your website. I would eat these for dinner tonite if i had them!!!!

February 8, 2011 2:48 pm
  • Oh lord Sues…you just had to do that. I’m a huge valentines addict as well. Target is so evil this time of year. Sometimes I just go through to look at all the red and pink hearts but don’t buy a single thing. These look deeeeelish! Last yr I made heart shaped rice krispy treats. I was going to dip one side in chocolate and then we decided just to eat them.

February 8, 2011 2:59 pm
  • No, don’t shut up about Valentines cuteness, I can never get enough of it either. Target is the best :) Your cookies look delish. Perfect ice cream flavor choice, too!

February 8, 2011 3:17 pm
  • Nicole said:

Adorable! I love the little fork pokes all over the cookies.

February 8, 2011 3:19 pm
  • Amy said:

LOVE IT! these look so awesome. i think i want to make some. but maybe with just gooey frosting in the middle.

February 8, 2011 4:21 pm
  • I love love… and heart shaped things :)
    Also, I know some people hate valentine’s day (like most men) but I think that it’s fun to dedicate a day to love. Adam and I actually deemed March 1st our official valentine’s day – this way we won’t have to fight for (overpriced) restaurant reservations… and I’m happy for him to pick up some stuff on sale for me, after the “legal” holiday. :D

February 8, 2011 6:04 pm
  • Tania said:

Wait, I thought granola was supposed to be healthy!?!?
    J/k these look awesome.

February 8, 2011 6:07 pm
  • Tania said:

and I somehow just posted that on the wrong post… sorry.

February 8, 2011 6:08 pm

ooh, i do hate valentine’s day, but i lurve these sandwiches :) fabulous!!

February 8, 2011 7:15 pm
  • Sharlene said:

I’m just a sucker for all the love people seem to share around Valentine’s Day. Not anywhere near Christmas/holiday level but it’s enough to make me happy :) These look SOOOOOO GOOD!

February 8, 2011 8:20 pm
  • I have always loved Valentine’s Day, single or in a relationship. Like you, I love pink and love and chocolate, and V-day is such a bright light in the midst of a drab, post-Christmas winter.

February 8, 2011 8:57 pm

I love it. pretty sure i always have and always will. glad to hear your take is such a positive one. enjoy your first vday as an engaged woman. these sandwiches look awesome. cherry garcia all the way

February 8, 2011 9:46 pm
  • Laurel said:

I need some of these immediately! So yummy! I’d love for you to submit this to the M&T Spotlight: http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

February 8, 2011 9:56 pm
  • Ann said:

These sandwiches are beautiful. Cherry garcia seems perfect.

February 8, 2011 10:11 pm
  • These are the cutest things ever and I am sure they taste amazing!

February 8, 2011 10:30 pm
  • Reeni said:

What scrumptious treats for Valentine’s day! Or any day! Any holiday that revolves around chocolate is ok in my book!

February 8, 2011 11:02 pm
  • Jessicaisbaking said:

These are adorable! Are the cookies soft or hard? Thanks!

February 9, 2011 8:06 am
  • emily said:

your ice cream sandwiches look awesome! i like the idea of using a cookie cutter to cut out the dough (why oh why didn’t i think of that before cutting out wonky squares the last time i made ice cream sandwiches?!). :)

February 9, 2011 10:29 am
  • Megan said:

Love ‘em!

February 9, 2011 10:55 am
  • Cheryl said:

These look great and can’t wait to make them. Question – hopefully not a dumb question but where does the Vodka come in?? :) … Thank you!!

February 9, 2011 11:03 am
  • Cute take on a classic! GREG

February 9, 2011 11:54 am
  • Quisha said:

Those are so cute! I’m not huge into sweets but this recipe looks like it wouldn’t be too sweet. Yum :)

February 9, 2011 2:36 pm
  • These are adorable! My kids would go crazy for these.

February 9, 2011 4:08 pm
  • how cute!! last year for valentines day I made some quick ones with chocolate graham crackers and since I couldn’t find pink ice cream either I rolled the edges in pink sprinkles!

February 9, 2011 11:26 pm
  • Kerstin said:

I feel the same way about Valentine’s Day – these are SO cute, the perfect way to celebrate :)

February 11, 2011 1:11 am
  • Bridget said:

These are adorable!! And perdect for V-day :) Wish I had one right now! I’ve always loved v-day..even when I was single haha. I’m right there with you on anything having to do with pink and hearts :) and chocolate!

February 13, 2011 10:55 pm