Black Bean and Corn Soup

AKA the easiest soup recipe in the world.

Let me start by saying I’m not a fan of meals made from canned foods. Like at all. So when I lined all the ingredients up for this recipe, I was momentarily disturbed. That’s a lot of cans. And some frozen corn. But then I justified it by realizing canned beans are A-OK. And so are canned tomatoes. Canned chicken broth obviously isn’t as good as homemade, but fat-free and low-sodium isn’t so bad. Frozen corn is better than canned corn and it’s all I can get right now. And I threw in some fresh red bell pepper and jalapeno for good measure. So, really it’s not bad.

I needed a meal to make to accompany my chile-cheddar bread from the other night. When I spotted a black bean corn soup on Cooking Light’s website, I realized with a few alterations, it would be the perfect soup to go along with the bread. Of course, that meant adding some jalapeno :)

Basically, this is one of the easiest soups you could ever make. And you should probably be sure to keep all these ingredients in your pantry at all times so you can make it in a pinch. Whenever I use multiple cans of black beans, I think about the time my sister ordered 33 cans of black beans on Peapod instead of 3. She could have made a whole LOT of this soup.

Black Bean and Corn Soup (makes about 5 servings):

• 1.5 C frozen corn
• 3 (15-oz) cans of black beans, rinsed, drained, and divided
• 1 1/2 C fat-free, low sodium chicken broth (or veggie broth)
• 1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes (no-salt-added if possible)
• 2 T chile paste (such as sambal oelek)
• Pinch of salt
• 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
• 1/2 C red bell pepper, finely chopped
• Goat cheese or greek yogurt for topping

Heat a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray.

Add corn to pan and saute for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Combine two cans of beans and chicken broth in a blender and process until smooth.

Add bean mixture, remaining can of beans, tomatoes, chili paste, and salt to corn in pan.

Stir to combine and then bring to a boil.

Cover, reduce heat to medium, and bring to a simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. About 5 minutes before it’s done cooking, toss in the jalapenos and red peppers.

Annnd that’s all. It legitimately has to cook for 15 minutes. And all you really had to do was open a few cans. It just feels so wrong. But trust me, it’s so, so right.

I topped my soup with some goat cheese for a little extra zing. And obviously ate it with my chile-cheddar bread.

I absolutely loved this soup because it was super thick and creamy, without having any cream or even milk in it. That, to me, is the sign of a perfect soup.

Even Chris liked it… And he, allegedly, doesn’t like black beans. I say allegedly because I’m pretty sure he just didn’t realize how fabulous black beans really were.

If you don’t end up eating all the soup (or make a double batch), it also freezes really well. I know it’s almost spring (thank goodness!), but you definitely still have some time left to make this soup before the chilly weather arrives. I’m telling you, it’s SO easy, you can make it and still enjoy the rest of your evening. You don’t even have to miss the Bachelor or American Idol (if you’re into that kind of thing, which… I am).

What’s your favorite super fast meal?

Oscar Awards Red Carpet Swag Bag Giveaway Winner!

The winner of our Orville Redenbacher Swag Bag is Courtney Sprague! Congratulations, Courtney!!! And we’ll be contacting you shortly, so we can send you your goodies :)

Happy Wednesday :)

• LOL that is a lot of cans but it looks great anyway. I love corn in black bean soup because it adds a wonderful sweetness and crunch.

March 9, 2011 9:54 am
  • vanessa said:

This looks yummy. Also, you should look for low-sodium goya black beans (has a little blue label). I love black beans and put them in everything, and was recently horrified when I realized how much sodium they contained! Rinsing def. helps though.

March 9, 2011 10:14 am

Ha! I made a slow cooker lazy red sauce this past weekend using a lot of canned and frozen goods and I was equally disturbed. But it was easy and delicious!

March 9, 2011 10:17 am

I am the same way! I usually hate cans too…but sometimes they just make delicious dishes. Black bean soup is one of my favorites. I always try to add extra kick and corn. Glad you enjoyed

March 9, 2011 10:38 am
  • As long as you steer clear of canned green beans (the worst in my opinion) I think you’re a-ok! This looks yummy, and soul-warming. Nom.

Laura

March 9, 2011 11:24 am
  • Monique said:

i loathe frozen veg. i tolerate canned veg.
    this dish looks amazing! i love it!

March 9, 2011 11:56 am
  • Kelly said:

Wow. 33 cans of black beans!?! I cannot imagine what she did when the delivery arrived. I will admit I have a bit of an aversion to canned things – particularly because with some stuff there seems to be a fair amount of sodium. Frozen doesn’t usually bother me usually because it’s frozen at the peak of freshness so generally they taste pretty good as long as you don’t overcook them.

March 9, 2011 12:40 pm
  • to be honest, we make chili or soup from canned beans and tomatoes quite often. it’s surprising, but the produce available in southern california is HORRIBLE! you can’t get a fresh tomato from a grocery store to save your life, and the ones at the farmers market cost way too much.

this recipe looks so good, we’ll have to try it!

March 9, 2011 1:30 pm
  • tbella said:

MMM. We call this BBS in my house (never too many acronyms!). I’ve been making a variation on this since I saw the recipe in a WW cookbook like a gazillion years ago. It’s like 3 (old) points for a cup or something crazy low. Addicted! Though I must try it with your chile bread!

March 9, 2011 2:41 pm
  • Have you tried getting dried beans and soaking them? I’ve found I get so much more from them than the canned versions. Then after soaking a whole bag, I split them up in jars and freeze them!
    Love your recipe, I’m going to have to try this one soon.

March 9, 2011 3:17 pm
  • I love bean soups- like almost too much. This looks delicious- and definitely easy! Soups are definitely my go to easy meal- they are so comforting both to make and eat!

March 9, 2011 3:59 pm

doesn’t like black beans? crazy talk :) love how easy and delicious this is, perfect for that bread!!

March 9, 2011 4:48 pm
  • oh it looks great!

March 9, 2011 6:30 pm
  • Sharlene said:

Looks wonderful! Although I’m against it to a degree, I secretly love dishes that can be put together out of the pantry with very few fresh ingredients. That way I can always have dinner even if I don’t have time to grocery shop!

March 9, 2011 11:53 pm
  • emily said:

haha, i feel the same way about canned food…except canned beans. i love them. this soup looks amazing! i think it’s getting added to my list of fall/winter/rainy spring soups, for sure. :)

March 10, 2011 9:45 pm
  • Kelsey said:

boookmarking! I love black beans and even more so I like easy recipes.

March 12, 2011 11:23 pm
  • Maiah said:

Hahaha you had me at 33 cans instead of 3. Amazing!

January 2, 2012 8:19 pm