Strawberry Frosted Doughnuts

In case you haven’t noticed, doughnuts are definitely the talk of the Internet lately. And after I made my Indian-spiced doughnuts a while back, I was hooked on doughnut-making, too (doughnut? donut? I still don’t know). However, while those doughnuts were allegedly “healthy,” they were still fried. So, I’ve been super excited to try out my doughnut pan for some baked, much more healthified doughnuts.

I’ve heard it’s tough to find the perfect baked doughnut recipe because, well, they’re not fried. And fried tastes good. After tons of research, I finally got my inspiration from King Arthur’s baked doughnut recipe because I genuinely trust them. I did make several changes and replaced the buttermilk powder and water with vanilla Greek yogurt for some added flavor. I decided to try a strawberry frosted doughnut and next time I make them, I might try eliminating the cinnamon and nutmeg below for a more “vanilla” taste.

Vanilla Baked Doughnuts (makes 6):

• 1 C all-purpose flour
• 1/2 C sugar
• 1 t baking powder
• 1 t cinnamon
• 1/8 t nutmeg
• 1/4 t salt
• 3 T low-fat vanilla Greek yogurt
• 2 large eggs
• 3 T vegetable oil

(Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees)

When Cabot took me and Chels to Sugarbush Resort in Vermont, they stocked our fridge full of Cabot cheese and other goodies. And at that point, I had no idea they even made Greek Yogurt. But I instantly fell in love with this low-fat vanilla bean yogurt. Seriously, it’s heavenly. And you can even see the little specks of vanilla in it! I waited what seemed like forever for my grocery store to stock it and at long last, they did! Now it’s a definite fridge staple.

OK, let’s get started on the doughnuts! Whisk together all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt) in a medium bowl.

In a separate bowl, beat eggs, oil, and yogurt.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Don’t over-mix or your doughnuts will likely be too dense.

Make sure your doughnut pan is greased or buttered. Even if it’s a non-stick pan, you’ll want to oil it well as healthy-ish doughnuts can tend to stick.

Fill each doughnut form half full. You can use a pastry bag to do this, but I found it easier to simply spoon the filling in.

Bake doughnuts at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

You’ll know they’re done when they’re slightly brown and spring back at touch.

Remove doughnuts from pan and let them cool on a rack.

Of course, you’ll want a topping or coating for your doughnuts, right? I had frozen strawberries and thought a strawberry icing would be pretty. Again, I decided to use Cabot’s vanilla Greek yogurt for the icing, instead of butter. This makes a much healthier icing! You could probably half my below recipe since I was left with quite a bit of leftover icing (not always a bad thing).

Strawberry Yogurt Icing:

1 C frozen strawberries, thawed
• 3/4 C vanilla Greek yogurt
• 1 C powdered sugar

In a blender or food processor, puree strawberries until nice and smooth.

Whisk together confectioner sugar and yogurt until well-blended.

Pour strawberry puree into mix and combine with whisk.

At this point, I put the icing in the fridge for about 30 minutes since it was extremely thin. It didn’t thicken up a whole lot, but it was a little better. Of course, butter would have thickened it right up, but, well…I was determined to make a butter-free icing!

With a pastry brush, lightly glaze each doughnut.

I put a couple coats of icing on since it was thin and seemed to get sucked into the doughnut.

Then I put some sprinkles on top. I was super happy with how the doughnuts ended up in appearance… So pretty!

And while absolutely delicious, these doughnuts were definitely a bit more cake-y than your typical fried doughnut. Not necessarily a bad thing… Just not fried goodness. But that’s what you’re getting into if you’re not frying your doughnuts. And cake-y? I’ve never had a problem with that.

Next time I make these, I might actually leave the cinnamon and nutmeg out because I think it took away from the vanilla flavor and made them taste a bit too much like cinnamon bread/cake.

I definitely think the vanilla yogurt added to the richness and moistness of the doughnut. A lot of people complained that the King Arthur recipe was a bit too dry in the reviews. But I didn’t get that at all in these doughnuts. Yogurt for the win!

My verdict? Really, nothing compares to a fried doughnut. But if you’re looking for something a bit healthier that’s still absolutely delicious, baked doughnuts made with vanilla Greek yogurt is a fabulous option.

And it just means you can eat more doughnuts. More often. Without splattering all that oil all over your kitchen.

What’s your favorite swap or technique to make baked goods a bit healthier?

• I didn’t even know that Cabot made a Greek yogurt. I like making small substitutions in baked goods that I don’t think will have much impact on taste. Sometimes there is a fine balance between lightening a dessert and making it taste healthy. Love that strawberry glaze!

March 15, 2011 8:45 am
  • Ok, this is fate. I literally searched for a recipe on Friday for strawberry frosted donuts because I just got a pan and wanted them to be my first! Looks SO pretty!

March 15, 2011 8:52 am
  • I really need a doughnut pan STAT. These recipes are killing me. It’s interesting that Cabot Greek Yogurt isn’t very prominent on the grocery shelves. I’ve never seen it!

March 15, 2011 9:15 am
  • Erin said:

Those look great! I’ve been trying to eat healthier etc, despite being a food blogger and it can be tough! I recently posted about baked sweet potato fries with rosemary, garlic and olive oil and they were delish! But yet at the same time, I posted a White Chocolate Strawberry Swirl cheesecake on the blog and have a strawberry cake with strawberry cream cheese frosting to post soon too LOL. I’d love to try my hand at these. They sound great for sweet breakfast. Maybe a nice alternative to my healthy breakfast sandwich stuffed with cheese/bacon and yes still healthy (also posted). Hmmmmm. YUMMMMMM! Look forward to trying it! :) Thanks guys! (ps sorry for the novel. too much coffee this a.m.)

March 15, 2011 9:16 am
  • Monique said:

Only you can make me abandon my chocolate peanut butter pie plans for tonight to search for a donut pan.
    They are STUNNING! Truly!
    I’ll bet they freeze really well!!! (stash a donut for T.O.M. LOL)

March 15, 2011 9:19 am
  • I love that donuts are back! Brilliant. I had a donut at the Donut Plant in NYC a few weeks ago…OMG. I could have died! Delicious! Look forward to trying this in my “weekend test kitchen”.

March 15, 2011 9:20 am
  • Elle said:

Oh, how pretty! I’ve yet to jump on the baked doughnut bandwagon, but you’re convincing me to with these! Such a great idea to use yogurt, too. Want!

March 15, 2011 9:54 am
  • brandi said:

Dangit. I’ve got to find a donut pan!

There isn’t anything like a hot, fried donut, but I’ve always liked cake donuts more than yeast ones, so I think I’d love them :)

March 15, 2011 9:55 am

Yum! The look perfect! I am actually not a fried donut fan (btw- I think its Dunkin Donuts fault that there is confusion over doughnut vs. donut ;) )- so a baked version sounds fabulous. And the pink makes it so pretty! I like to make a healthy chicken parm fully in the oven. I also use a lemon juice/water combo instead of egg. It turns out pretty yummy!

March 15, 2011 9:57 am
  • These look so good! I can not resist a pink frosted donut, so perhaps I could actually feel ok about eating these (not filled with all the evil ingredients like Dunkin Donuts – ugh!).

Laura

March 15, 2011 10:14 am

these look so pretty! I have noticed donuts are all the rage lately! I think you played a big part in starting the trend!! :)

March 15, 2011 10:33 am

I totally trust King Arthur Flour too when it comes to recipes. These donuts look great!

March 15, 2011 11:06 am
  • Wowza! These look amazing. I’m going to make these and frost them green for St. Patrick’s Day. Can’t wait to share these with our Cabot people.

March 15, 2011 11:23 am
  • Joanne said:

I feel like the thing about baked donuts is that as long as you accept that they will not taste like fried, we can all agree that they are delicious! I mean, HELLO they are basically CAKE. I love that strawberry yogurt glaze. Perfect.

March 15, 2011 11:45 am
  • Victoria said:

Those doughnuts are absolutely gorgeous! I’ve got to get on the doughnut bandwagon!

March 15, 2011 12:18 pm
  • These look gorgeous! I got a doughnut pan for Christmas, and have been dying to use it!

March 15, 2011 12:31 pm
  • yum! the icing looks gorgeous!

March 15, 2011 12:41 pm
  • Megan said:

They look adorable! (But I’m probably always going to make fried doughnuts… as you said… nothing compares.) I do love that little doughnut pan though and on more than one occasion I have tried to talk myself into baked doughnuts just so I can buy it!

March 15, 2011 1:00 pm
  • I love that cook book and I love strawberry frosted donuts! I always try to add whole wheat flour to make things a little more “healthy” haha

March 15, 2011 3:21 pm
  • Juliana said:

Wow, these donut looks great, first they are baked; second the strawberry glaze looks terrific on it…yummie! Have a great week :-)

March 15, 2011 3:28 pm
  • briarrose said:

Oooo…I so want a doughnut pan. These look wonderful and I love the glaze.

March 15, 2011 3:50 pm
  • I have those pans, I just need to get moving and use them! I love donuts, yours look fantastic!

March 15, 2011 3:52 pm
  • Sharlene said:

More doughnuts are never ever a bad thing! I’m so jealous of your doughnut pan. I’ve tried out the Cabot Greek yogurt and love it but haven’t seen that vanilla bean flavor around yet. I’ll keep a lookout.

March 15, 2011 4:25 pm
  • Wow! These look so good. Baked too. i loved the healthy spin on it. I just discovered your blog and love it! My best friend and i have a blog together too (except we do live together), always fun to see other people collaborating as well :)

March 15, 2011 4:29 pm
  • Barbara said:

What fun! A donut pan! I love it and love the idea of baking instead of frying. These look marvelous!

March 15, 2011 4:50 pm
  • Ashley said:

These are the prettiest pink… I just love them! I want to bite into my computer screen- YUM!

March 15, 2011 4:53 pm
  • Velva said:

I don’t bake often, when I do, I rarely substitute for healthier ingredients. I go for it. I would probably agree with you that a fried doughnut is tastier than a baked one…but, what you did was beautiful. very nice.

btw, I really like Cabot Greek yogurt.

Cheers.
    Velva

March 15, 2011 5:33 pm
  • Elizabeth said:

I don’t think I’ve ever tried a baked doughnut and I’m really curious what they’re like. That glaze looks so picture-perfect. Seriously one of those photos should be on the cover of Gourmet. Want one SO much.

March 15, 2011 8:16 pm
  • Jenny said:

Thanks for the tip on my site! :) What a lovely post also! The strawberry glaze looks amazing, divine, splendid!:) I will definitely have to try this!

March 15, 2011 8:39 pm
  • Jeannie said:

Wow! The visuals are definitely enticing, have not tried baking donuts but if they are healthy, I am all for it…beautiful!

March 15, 2011 8:42 pm
  • Mandi said:

ok, you have officially inspired me to get a donut pan and make donuts…I have never done it, but these look so ridiculous!! And adding the yogurt was genius, I will definitely have to do that to help with the moistness factor! Oh, and P.S. I was also obsessing over Joy’s grapefruit scones as well…her stuff always makes me drool! =)

March 15, 2011 9:17 pm
  • Lin Ann said:

What a great idea! They sound so delicious with the vanilla and strawberry . . . Love the pictures! The one posted on Foodbuzz jumped right out at me!!!

March 15, 2011 9:22 pm
  • Angela said:

Those are so pretty! I will take a dozen.

March 15, 2011 9:27 pm
  • Kerstin said:

So pretty! I think if I’m going to have a donut, I want the real thing, but my hubby would definitely enjoy your lightened up version!

March 15, 2011 9:53 pm
  • Ann said:

I need to get one of those donut pans. I love your healthy donuts. They look wonderful!

March 15, 2011 10:20 pm
  • I bet you wouldn’t even miss the fried aspect with this yummy glaze!

March 15, 2011 11:10 pm
  • Sutapa said:

Yummylicious healthy donuts! Your strawberry yogurt icing is just so sensational! Love it!

March 16, 2011 3:09 am
  • These donuts are so pretty! I love the idea of using vanilla greek yogurt to add even more flavor!

March 16, 2011 7:18 am
  • Susan said:

Those donuts are so pretty!

March 16, 2011 7:27 am
  • So pretty! I love anything pink, and I love the idea of a baked donut. Frying scares me!

March 16, 2011 8:37 am
  • Alicia said:

These look delicious! I have yet to get myself a doughnut pan.

March 16, 2011 11:36 am
  • these look amazing! i know what i’ll be asking for for my birthday gift…a donut pan!

March 16, 2011 11:49 am
  • Those look silly delicious! Love that they are “healthy!”

Mary
    Delightful Bitefuls

March 16, 2011 12:19 pm
  • Bridget said:

Beautiful!! And Bonus that they are pink and sparkly :) I too need a damn donut pan haha, and I lvoe the addition of the yogurt. Wish I had one of those bad boys right now!

March 16, 2011 12:21 pm
  • Jaime said:

oh wow, are those CUTE or what?! :)

March 16, 2011 1:12 pm
  • Brandie said:

Yes please! I’ll take a dozen! :)
    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment! I’m your newest follower and I’m following on facebook too.
    Wonderful blog y’all have here!

March 16, 2011 2:51 pm
  • Kristy said:

Oh my! Those are my daughter’s fav dougnut at Dunkin’ Donuts. Yours look so much better and healthier, I must buy a donut pan!!! lol

March 16, 2011 2:58 pm
  • Reeni said:

What delectable treats! I love that they’re baked – I have been using king arthur’s white whole wheat in a lot of my baking to make it healthier. And I love their recipes!

March 16, 2011 7:40 pm

love that strawberry frosting ;)

March 16, 2011 8:53 pm
  • WOW!! I LOVE me some doughnuts! These look incredible : )

March 16, 2011 10:39 pm
  • Sarah said:

My life will clearly not be complete until I get a donut pan! Those look amaze :)

March 16, 2011 11:01 pm
  • Kelsey said:

even if they weren’t as good as a fried doughnut, they look fabulous! I saw these images on your facebook and had to come on over to take a peak.

March 16, 2011 11:06 pm
  • I love a good cake donut! And these seem heathier than your normal donut so that’s a plus!

March 17, 2011 10:25 am
  • rita said:

that doughnut looks so pretty. i love how it’s baked and not fried. a really must try recipe.

March 17, 2011 6:27 pm
  • Abbie said:

I love baked donuts, too! Great idea! Love the blog.

March 18, 2011 2:18 pm
  • aishahias said:

I’ve never tried baked doughnuts before. But yours look amazing! :D

March 22, 2011 6:06 am
  • Emily said:

Frying freaks me out, so baked is the only way I’d even attempt to make my own doughnuts. I’ve bookmarked this recipe for (very near) future experimentation. Thanks, Sues!

May 16, 2011 11:54 am