Cadbury Mini Egg Scones

April 4, 2011

Sometimes I get crazy ideas in my head. And they don’t leave until I act upon them. Especially when I’m being constantly tempted every time I step into a store for months and months. You see, Easter may not be for another 3 weeks, but Easter candy has been on the shelves of pharmacies and grocery stores for well over a month now. In fact, I think it was put out the day after Valentine’s Day. Pure torture. Especially when it comes to Cadbury Creme Eggs and Cadbury Mini Eggs.

I can’t even express to you how much I love these candies. And I know I’m not alone… The Cadbury Mini Egg Facebook group currently has 318,410 fans. And the Cadbury Creme Egg Facebook group has 1,700, 519 fans. Crazy! But while I love them deeply, I try not to eat them very often because a) I like them to remain special Easter treats and b) well, they’re obviously not good for me. Especially an entire bag. In one sitting. Ahem. But I’ve ignored them on the shelves as long as I possibly could and finally had to buy a bag of the mini eggs. And I immediately knew I wanted (no, needed) to make scones with them.

These are not your grandmother’s scones. Oh no. They’re not really your sit down with a cup of tea and nibble on a scone scone. They’re more of a pour yourself a mug of hot cocoa with extra rum and whipped cream and break these scones out. And I’m OK with that. Because they’re chocolatey and sweet and perfect for Easter morning… And the months leading up to Easter.

Cadbury Mini Egg Scones (makes 12):

• 2 C flour
• 1 t baking soda
• 1.5 t baking powder
• 1/4 t salt
• 3/4 C (1.5 sticks) butter, chilled
• 1/4 C sugar
• 3/4 C vanilla Greek yogurt
• 2 T vanilla
• 1/4 C milk
• 1 C Cadbury Mini Eggs, crushed
• 2 Cadbury Cream Eggs (optional for chocolate drizzle)

(Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees)

Milk is missing from the photo since it was a last minute addition (the dough needed to be moistened more).

These are little eggs of heaven. I could probably eat an entire bag in one sitting… Which is why I try not to buy them and feel that it’s torturous to have them in stores for over 2 months straight. Are you with me?

Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.

Then dice the cold butter into small pieces and add it to the flour mixture.

Using your fingers or a pastry blender, break down the butter in the mixture until it resembles coarse meal.

Now add the sugar, vanilla Greek yogurt, vanilla, and milk to the mixture. I love using Cabot’s Vanilla Bean Greek Yogurt because it has the pretty little specks of vanilla bean in it.

Chop up your Cadbury Mini Eggs. They don’t have to be chopped super finely or anything; basically in thirds or so. Try not to eat too many as you chop.

Add the Cadbury Mini Eggs to the batter.

And mix everything together until the mixture is all moistened by the wet ingredients.

Now separate the dough into 2 pieces. Place one half of the dough onto a lightly floured surface and set the other half aside. Roll the dough into an 8-inch circle. It kind of looks like a giant Easter egg.

Cut 6 triangular sections from the dough and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet.

Bake them at 350 degrees for about 17-20 minutes. They should be lightly golden around the edges and firm, but soft in the center.

Let them cool on the pan for a few minutes and then move the scones to a wire rack to cool completely.

Repeat with the second section of dough.

THEN, I got another bright idea. Why not melt some Cadbury Creme Eggs and drizzle the chocolate over the scones? OK.

I wasn’t sure how it would work, but I cut 2 Cadbury Creme Eggs in half.

And put them in a double boiler over boiling water to melt. The chocolate was super thick, so I added a tablespoon of milk in and mixed well.

Then I drizzled over the scones.

I only drizzled the chocolate over half the scones because I was a little bit undecided about it. I mean, ti was amazing and I was thrilled to be able to combine both kinds of Cadbury Eggs into one treat (!!), but on the other hand, it may have been a bit overkill. I love sweet, but this was sugar overload!

I really do love all kinds of scones, but as far as dessert scones go, these are perfectly amazing. In fact, I’d rather eat these than sit on the couch with a bag of Cadbury Mini Eggs. And just think about how perfect they’d be for Easter morning breakfast?

The scone is packed with vanilla flavor that perfectly complements the milk chocolate candies. I’m also a big fan of the dark chocolate Cadbury Mini Eggs and think those would definitely work in the scones, too. The scones were not your sometimes typical dry scones and were definitely more moist and almost cookie-like. But they still had plenty of the flakiness I love about scones.

When I first started this baking experiment, I wasn’t quite sure how the scones would come out, so I’m super excited by how awesome they are. I had to send a whole batch of them to work with Chris because let’s be honest. I can’t be trusted sitting in the apartment alone with these. It’s a rainy Monday morning and these might be the only thing that can make it better 🙂

What’s your favorite kind of Easter candy?Are you feeling tortured that Easter candy has been on the shelves so long?

Tagged With

54 Responses to "Cadbury Mini Egg Scones"

1. Erica says:

oh my gosh! What a cute Easter idea! I feel like I need to make them for our celebration!!! I love the circus peanuts that are shaped like bunnies and chicks.

2. Joanne says:

Um yes these easter treats were totally put out the day after V-Day (at least here they were!) and I found it utterly disturbing. As if the V-Day temptations weren’t enough!

Now I feel more prepared for them however. Especially after seeing this scone. Seems like the perfect excuse to eat chocolate for breakfast!

3. Shannon says:

Pure brilliance. I too could finish a bag in one sitting. And now they make them in dark chocolate too?! I love the idea of putting them in scones, I’ve been seriously on a scone making kick lately!

4. Molly says:

I’m kind of in love with this recipe.

5. Michelle says:

I’m with you and love Cadbury mini eggs and creme eggs but I also love the Reese’s peanut butter eggs!

6. What a fantastic idea!! I love Cadbury mini eggs!! Those and the Reese’s peanut butter eggs are my favorites for Easter.

7. I love outside-the-box scones, and these look fabulous! I made Girl Scout inspired scones with coconut, chocolate and caramel a couple weekends ago. I say we organize a non-traditional scone party!

8. brandi says:

you have got to be kidding me! those are so fun! we LOVE the mini eggs but I’m not sure I could ever save enough to actually bake with them 🙂

9. Susan says:

What a great idea! When my girls were little there was always Cadbury in their Easter baskets 😉

10. A.Judy says:

Sues…I always knew you were a girl after my own heart………..I’ll be trying this recipe for sure!!!

11. How cute!! I’ll have to say the Cadbury mini eggs are my favorite too!

12. maiah says:

oh my goodness i feel like you wrote this for me and my obsession with cadbury mini eggs. LOVE. 🙂

13. You have made me a very happy girl on a Monday! I love mini eggs and scones! I’m making these pronto!

14. emily says:

Haha, this is so awesome, Sues. My fave Easter candy are the Reese’s Eggs. Love chocolate + pb combo. Maybe you can make a scone recipe out of those, eh?!

15. For some reason I never loved the cadbury eggs, but these scones look so good I may have to try them again!

16. Melissa says:

I love the Cadbury cream eggs the best! I waited as long as I could to have one this year and wanted just ONE but only found a package of four – oh well haha. I see this recipe translating to all sorts of breakfast sweets like pancakes and waffles and muffins, or a Cadbury cream egg omelette??

17. Wow! Those are a Cadbury lover’s dream!!! I think I might have to try making those – YUM!

18. Daisy says:

Cadbury mini eggs are definitely up there with fave easter candy!! These scones are such a brilliant idea!

19. Bee says:

Ooh… last year I bought five bags and totally OD’d on them. One bag is still in my drawer. I wonder if year-old mini eggs would lend themselves better to a baked treat than snacking? Hmm…

20. Annie says:

Amazing! They look delicious!

21. Shannon says:

I think I’m about to faint. My love for mini eggs is astounding. I love this idea and will definitely try!

22. magical. the regular cream eggs are my favorite, totally!

23. sweeter salt says:

YOU ARE A GENIUS. I am so making these for easter morning.

between these cadburry eggs and peeps the drugstore is like a temptation mine field this time of year. SO MUCH DELICIOUS MULTI-COLORED CANDY!

24. These scones are so cute! Perfect for Easter. Thanks for sharing, girls!

25. Chris says:

These were a big hit at the office today. They we are all gone in 15 minutes.

26. Shannon says:

omg, i love you. that is all.

27. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t love Cadbury eggs and I am sure I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t love these scones! They are amazing!

28. veron says:

that’s sounds fantastic in scones and such a great idea for Easter.

29. Mary says:

And to think I thought I’d seen it all. You are a wicked genius that folks as Cadbury are going to love. The scones sound sinfully delicious. Have a great day. Blessings…Mary.

30. marla says:

These scones are some kinda fabulous! Love those little cadbury eggs.

31. Juliana says:

Great idea for scones…and must taste really yummie with all the taste of the cadbury eggs 🙂 Have a great week!

32. That’s such a fun idea! They look great!

33. Sutapa says:

That’s so deliciously Cadbury! The idea for topping is great!

34. Quisha says:

Those are so colorful and cute! I’m not a huge sweets fan so I usually go for scones. I’d probably have a few of these for sure.

35. Meesh says:

this is amazing. what a creative idea, and perfect for easter obviously. LOVE IT

36. Such scrumptious and adorable scones with the mini eggs, so neat!

37. Kari Elmes says:

OMG! I can so relate to this! I have been addicted to mini eggs for years now and await the arrival of them with anticipation each year!
    I have actually found a no name brand of these eggs sold in bulk which I prefer to the cadbury’s brand.
    I am definitely going to try these scones very soon, my mouth was watering as I read through the recipe and saw the photos. I am not a baker and hope that I won’t mess it up 😉

38. You’re too cute. I love the minis as well and think you are a genius for making scones with them! Definitely an even more special way to enjoy (or maybe inhale? lol) some seasonal chocolate mini eggs 🙂

39. I just showed this to my husband and I think he might be expecting me to make these this weekend. Hah!

40. Oh yes…another way to add the important chocolate food group to my breakfast! These look scrumptious! I love the little Cadbury eggs. 🙂

41. Jaime says:

WOW!!! I love cadbury eggs…. these are right up my alley!

42. Seeing your scones just brightened up my day and made me smile. These look like one delicious idea and, best of all, it means that eating candy for breakfast is A-OK.

43. Katie says:

what a fun idea! i haven’t had cadbury eggs in forever, i think i need to start eating them again!

44. Sharlene says:

I can’t stand how it’s one holiday after another in stores these days. It makes me so anxious! Knowing this scone recipe though, I’m excited to get out there and prepare for the festivities.

45. Jacquelyn says:

I didn’t think you could improve on Easter candy, but you did it! Thanks for the Cabot mention 🙂

46. Victoria says:

Ahhhh, these are so cool!! I’m an April baby and so Easter candy was always plentiful around my birthday. My cakes would annually feature marshmallow peeps! Quite frankly, growing up, it wasn’t a birthday cake without peeps, haha.

47. Susan says:

What a fabulous idea for my FAVORITE Easter candy!! And, they include my new fave yogurt too – love that Cabot Greek. Just baked Meyer Lemon-Cranberry Scones with it on my blog.

48. Jules says:

These are genius. I’m going to have some mini eggs left from some classes I’m running and now know exactly what I’m going to do with them!

49. Elizabeth says:

Soo, my roommate just broad a bag of the eggs home so I had to show her this recipe. We will probably be making them tomorrow morning.

50. LauraD says:

I made these last night and they are unbelievably good! They are the perfect easter dessert. Thanks so much for the idea

51. Cadbury mini eggs are literally my favorite candy – not just at Easter but ever. I’m obsessed. Always have been. When I was in high school I used to keep a bag in my car just so it would smell like them. These look unreal. Must -make for Easter

52. Val says:

I made these already and I’m making them again for easter brunch… one step to make it easier.. and safer… stick the mini eggs in a ziploc bag and crush with a rolling pin or meat mallet. It will save you lots of time! 🙂

53. Loretta says:

I used coconut greek yogurt and it tasted really nice with the cadburry eggs!!

54. A way to eat these for breakfast–yay!