Jelly Doughnuts

I’m not going to lie. Ever since i made those baked strawberry frosted doughnuts, I’ve been craving more doughnuts. Real Doughnuts. Fried doughnuts. Don’t get me wrong, the baked doughnuts were delightful, but I’m really not sure there’s a way to make a baked doughnut taste like an actual doughnut. And I have not been able to get doughnuts off my mind. Particularly, for some odd reason, jelly doughnuts. So, I finally decided they had to be made. Sometimes it’s best just to satisfy the craving and move on, right?

Jelly doughnuts doughnuts are much easier to make than I previously thought they would be. And it was actually kind of amazing to drop them in the hot oil and see them puff up into doughnut-looking shapes. This is one of those recipes I had fun with… even though all the waiting was excruciating!

In other news, Chris and I spent an entire day cleaning our apartment (it’s not big, but man we have a lot of stuff!) and the clean kitchen has made cooking and baking so much more fun! I cleaned absolutely everything out of the cabinets and shelves and re-organized all of it. We even figured out a way to give me a whole free stretch of counter! Which will hereby be known as by dough rolling counter :)

We fit all the appliances into one corner and while they take up some space, it’s so worth it to me to be able to have my KitchenAid AND blender ready to use at all times.

If you lack kitchen counter space, I highly recommend a butcher block. It’s saved my life many times. Though it thinks there are households out there who actually only have four bottles of wine. Ha!

My cookbooks are now organized and half of that top shelf is stocked with tea. We have A LOT of tea. We have a bit of a tea obsession. Chris says we can’t buy more tea until we make our way through some of this, but we’ll see how long I can last without buying more…

I also cleaned out the whole pantry, so I can actually find what I’m looking for when I need it. Like those eight bags of chocolate chips.

My favorite part of the reorganization project might be that I now have a whole cabinet shelf devoted to cupcake making and decorating. Clearly an absolute necessity to me.

Sorry, I’m just a little bit proud of the new organized space :) And it’s so true that having open clean space makes being in the kitchen so much more enjoyable. That’s probably partly why I had such a craving to make doughnuts! So, on with them.

Just a note before I start- I used all-purpose flour and mixed it with vital wheat gluten. This makes for a more elastic dough, which is perfect for doughnuts. If you have white bread flour instead of all-purpose, you can use that and leave out the extra gluten. If you just have all-purpose flour, I think it would be OK, but the doughnut probably won’t be as chewy as you want it to be. Whole Foods has vital wheat gluten in case you’re wondering.

Jelly Doughnuts (makes 12):

• 4 C all-purpose flour
• 3 T vital wheat gluten
• 1 t salt
• 2.5 t dry active yeast (1 packet)
• 1 C lukewarm milk
• 2 T sugar
• 2 large eggs, beaten
• 2 T unsalted butter, melted and cooled
• Vegetable oil
• 1 C seedless jelly or jam of choice (I recommend red raspberry or strawberry)
• Cinnamon and sugar for rolling doughnuts

Combine the 4 C of flour, 3 T vital wheat gluten, and salt. Whisk together.

In a small bowl, stir together the yeast, 2 T sugar, and 2 T of the lukewarm milk. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, until it gets a bit foamy.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, add the flour mixture, yeast, and the rest of the milk. Also add the eggs and butter.

Mix the ingredients into a soft, but not sticky, dough.

Then pop your dough hook onto your mixer and knead the dough for about 2 minutes. If you don’t have a dough hook, you can put the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead it until it’s smooth and elastic.

Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl.

Cover the bowl with a towel and place it in a warm place. Let it rise for about 2 hours.

It should just about double in size.

Now, punch down the dough and place it on a lightly floured surface, kneading a bit.

With a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough out to be about a 1/2-inch thick. Yay for my dough rolling counter!

Cut out 3-4-inch rounds with a biscuit cutter or whatever tool you have. My largest biscuit cutter was still a bit too small, so I used a drinking glass. It worked well :) You might need to gather the scraps and re-roll the dough to get all the rounds you can.

Lightly flour a baking sheet and place the rounds at least a 1/2 inch apart.

Cover with a towel and let them rest in a warm place for about 20 minutes, to rise a bit more.

Now you’re ready to heat your oil!

Heat about 2-3 inches of vegetable oil to 350 degrees.

Put a couple of the rounds in at a time and fry on each side for about 2 minutes, until golden and puffy.

To be honest, I was skeptical about putting these flat dough rounds into oil and having them turn into doughnuts. But they poufed right up! It was kind of awesome.

Make sure you use a slotted spoon to lift your doughnuts out of the oil.

And place them right into a cinnamon/sugar mixture. I started with about 1/2 cup of sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon cinnamon. After making my way through half the doughnuts, I added another 1/2 cup sugar and teaspoon cinnamon.

Once the doughnuts are cooled a bit, it’s time to fill them! I filled a pastry bag with the jam and then fit the tip into the doughnut and piped the jam in.

It was tough to tell exactly how much jam I was putting in, so for some of the doughnuts, I went back in added more. I like a lot of jelly in my jelly doughnuts!

And then it was finally time to relieve my craving. Jelly doughnuts, fried not baked, were all mine.

I’m pretty certain I measure all jelly doughnuts on standards set by Dunkin’ Donuts, the doughnuts (donuts? whatever) I grew up with. And I have to say, these were incredibly similar. However, I’m happy to say they weren’t greasy at all! But unlike the baked doughnuts, they were light and airy and weren’t cakey. Yay!

I love you baked doughnuts, but when I have a craving for the real deal, I want the real deal. I also love these new placemats my mom got me from Kohl’s this weekend (along with some super cute items from Lauren Conrad’s collection. Uh, I know I’m 28, but I LOVE Lauren Conrad’s designs for Kohl’s).

jd.jpg

Mmm. I really need to plan a brunch party ASAP because I need a good excuse to make these doughnuts again. Next up? I think I’m going to need to try Boston creme doughnuts. Similar concept.

See all the nooks and crannies? Now, that’s a doughnut!

If you make these, be aware that they really are best the day you make them. They weren’t bad the next day, but by the third day, the doughnuts were definitely a bit stale and the sugar was dissolving off. But seriously, these shouldn’t last over a day in your house! They’re most fabulous when they’re still a little bit warm :)

A nice clean apartment and a plate full of jelly doughnuts? I’m a very happy girl! And now that I’ve tackled jelly doughnuts, I’m almost feeling confident enough to confront the pain au chocolat I’ve been dreaming about…

What have you been craving lately?

• i LOVE that you made jelly donuts! my uncle owns a dunkin donuts and i remember going into the kitchen and watching them pump in the jelly/creme with AWE

April 21, 2011 11:39 pm
  • Thanks so much for sharing photos of your pantry! I’m so nosy! I loved it! If you think you have too much tea, let me tell ya, I’ve got more! My tea collection has moved into my laundry room. It’s pathetic. I keep saying I won’t buy more til I drink some, but I come home with 2 more boxes weekly! To use some up, I make iced tea with single-cup bags.

About the doughnuts: yes yes yes :)

April 22, 2011 12:04 am

They look so awesome after the puff up!! My Mom worked in a bakery growing up and she said her favorite thing to do was to fill the jelly doughnuts :) Hooray for a clean kitchen. I cleaned out my freezer today- felt incredible!

April 22, 2011 12:44 am
  • I’m so impressed with the donuts and the organizing! :)

April 22, 2011 7:11 am

I had a mini jelly donut at Island Creek Oyster Bar for the first time in years! And hooray for your kitchen reorganization!

April 22, 2011 7:20 am
  • Your kitchen looks great, but these donuts look amazing!

April 22, 2011 7:44 am
  • These looks insane! Must made asap.

April 22, 2011 8:26 am
  • Those look amazing!!! When I was a kid, the only place close enough to us to get donuts was called Winchell’s…boy did I love it when my dad would ask me if I wanted to take a ride to “Win’s and grab some dough”!!
    Loving the organized kitchen…I need to seriously do that soon!

April 22, 2011 9:01 am
  • kathy said:

i love the new “print recipe” icon on the website. to be honest, i have to stay as far away from donuts as possible because i would never stop. i have been wanting to try the beignet recipe from Foodbuzz a months ago-fried dough, beignets, donuts-i love them all!

April 22, 2011 9:10 am
  • Congrats on your kitchen cleanse. I always feel good when I organize my life! Those doughnuts look FANTASTIC. The nooks and crannies are totally there. I need to get my hands on these!

April 22, 2011 9:19 am
  • brandi said:

the kitchen looks great!

and you guys are killing me with all these donuts ;)

April 22, 2011 9:21 am
  • I love looking at other people’s kitchens—I’m just curious like that, lol. Good job on the organizing! I have never had jelly doughnuts—I’m more of a chocolate doughnut kinda girl—but your pictures have intrigued me. I’ll probably hit up DD for one today. :)

April 22, 2011 9:23 am
  • Meesh said:

I really should not have read this given my current state of hunger. Going to Dunkin Donuts for lack of a better instant gratification option!

April 22, 2011 9:37 am
  • Bridget said:

I still have yet to make donuts!! These came out beautifully!! I really really want to have people over for donuts once I get around to making them ;)
    Nice job on the cleaning! Good know someone else has as much crap/kitchen things as I do haha. I need to do the same with my pantry. I love all your colored sugars and reminds me that I need to stock up…you know, just in case!

April 22, 2011 10:24 am
  • Excuse me while I wipe off the drool from my keyboard.

April 22, 2011 10:56 am
  • In the donut realm, I have been craving maple bars, do they have those here? I am from the west coast and they were very common at home.

And I love your pink nails to match the jelly donut day!

April 22, 2011 11:52 am
  • Donuts are pretty much favorite thing ever. I think I could eat a whole box and the another box. Yours looks just like anything you would find at a store!!! Honestly, it makes me want to reach over and take a bite.

April 22, 2011 12:27 pm
  • Barbara said:

Great job organizing! I really, really need to do that. One more thing for a rainy day.
    Love your donuts…will save the recipe for company!

April 22, 2011 1:20 pm
  • Megan said:

Oh no… now I think I’m getting a fried doughnut craving! Those look incredible! And I always have to keep my KitchenAid on the counter too. I keep my food processor on top of the cabinets and it’s a pain to get down… so when I have even more counter space, that will be staying down too!

April 22, 2011 1:54 pm
  • I loved the peek into your well organized kitchen! Those donuts look incredible. Happy Easter!

April 22, 2011 3:50 pm
  • YUMMMMM. those look so good! also, your organization is totally inspiring. i think our “baking cabinet” is getting a re-do this weekend!

April 22, 2011 3:50 pm

awesome job with everything! the doughnuts, the organized kitchen! I love seeing pictures of organized space. it makes me super happy!

April 22, 2011 4:00 pm
  • Chaya said:

Years ago, I had a portable dishwasher. Do they still make them? Anyway, we put butcher block on top and it was the greatest. I could put anything down on it and I used it for everything.

I love jelly doughnuts and I have never made them. I guess, I should add them to my possibility list. Yours look deliciousl

April 22, 2011 4:25 pm
  • I love having a clean kitchen. Definitely jealous of all the space you have! The donuts look great. I’ve been wanting to make them for a while now…

April 22, 2011 4:56 pm
  • Reeni said:

The doughnuts look incredible! Thanks for the tip on the wheat gluten. Your kitchen looks so good – I need to do that with mine! I work so much better when things are organized.

April 22, 2011 9:36 pm
  • Ann said:

So ambitious, but those donuts look fantastic! Really good.

April 22, 2011 10:25 pm
  • Holly said:

Great post!! And I LOVE me some Jelly doughnuts! Mmmmm : )

April 23, 2011 12:31 am
  • Reason 4,587 I know we’re meant to be friends: Look at all that canned pumpkin in your pantry! I may not cook a whole lot (that’s what I have a husband for, heh), but by God, should there ever be a famine, I’ll be able to make pumpkin pie for months!

As far as what I’m craving…well, I didn’t realize it until now, but come to think of it, a jelly doughnut WOULD be a delightful midnight snack. (Good thing there’s no Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts near my apartment.)

April 23, 2011 2:09 am
  • Joanne said:

I think the fact that you have 8 bags of chocolate chips just solidifies why exactly I adore you. And all the pumpkin. We are two of a kind!

Those jelly doughnuts look AMAZING. Love how you really plumped them up with filling!

April 23, 2011 8:18 am
  • Susan said:

Nice apartment! That is quite a collection of tea you have ;)

I love jelly-filled doughnuts. Yours turned out so good! Congrats!

April 23, 2011 10:34 am

oh my gosh, those look SO good!!

and i have a tea drawer for my obsession ;) And quite a few cans of pumpkin as well!

April 23, 2011 11:03 am
  • Sharlene said:

These look absolutely amazing. I’ve always wanted to try making a filled doughnut but for some reason I have a hard time deep frying things and using up all that oil. I think I’ll have to suck it up thought because these look too good to resist!

April 23, 2011 2:29 pm
  • Victoria said:

First of all, excellent work cleaning up and organizing your kitchen!! It’s important to have good space to start out with. Also, I’m glad you were able to make those jelly donuts! They look so great and really are easy to make. What a great post-kitchen-cleaning treat ;-)

April 23, 2011 3:29 pm
  • These are amazing.

April 23, 2011 6:44 pm
  • I love an organised kitchen and these doughnuts look perfect!

April 23, 2011 10:17 pm
  • Mary said:

Your kitchen looks wonderfully organized and your donuts sounds delicious. That was a great tutorial. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

April 24, 2011 7:21 pm
  • Hoppy Easter !!!

April 24, 2011 9:34 pm
  • Claudia said:

Oh now look what you’ve done. You have me craving jelly doughnuts. Fried not baked. The jelly doughnuts of my childhood. Still warm and jelly dribbling down my chin. These are perfect! And so smart – to use up cabinet space with your appliances. When I did that – I used them evermore. Enjoy your kitchen!

April 24, 2011 10:23 pm
  • Jelly doughnuts are my one weakness when it comes to doughnuts. I can’t resist them. If I had a batch of these, I’d have one in each hand.

April 24, 2011 11:29 pm
  • Super impressive! Both the jelly donuts and organizational skills. Nice work!

April 25, 2011 5:21 pm
  • i need these in my life! :)

April 26, 2011 12:12 pm
  • Kerstin said:

That last picture is making my mouth water – yum!! So impressed and wishing I had one (or two!) right now :)

April 28, 2011 10:26 pm