Sweet Potato Hummus

Sometimes April comes around and I realize something horrible. I haven’t had an orange vegetable in months. In the fall, I pretty much live off of sweet potatoes, pumpkins, squash, and carrots. But when spring comes around, my favorite vegetables are often neglected. It’s a travesty, really. Especially since this is the time of year I could most use a natural tan. And as we all know, orange vegetables are the best way to get your Jersey Shore skin tone on (hehe). Sorry. I write about celebrity gossip as part of my day job and sometimes it’s hard to get it out of my head. Really, I think about Justin Bieber, Kim Kardashian, Robert Pattinson, and Miley Cyrus ALL THE TIME.

Anyway, I’ve been getting a major orange vegetable craving lately and knew something had to be done. I make hummus all the time, though for some reason, I never make it with tahini. But since this version had a sweet potato base, I figured with tahini would be pretty necessary. When I say this recipe is the simplest recipe ever, it’s the understatement of the year. The hardest part is peeling, chopping, and steaming the potatoes. The rest is just throwing everything in the food processor. Or blender if you don’t have one.

Sweet Potato Hummus (makes 4 cups):

Adapted from Martha Stewart’s Whole Living

• 1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
• 1 can (15.5 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• 1/4 C fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
• 1/4 C tahini
• 2 T olive oil
• 2 t ground cumin
• 1 garlic clove, chopped
• Coarse salt and pepper
• Smoked paprika (optional)
• Pita bread and/or veggies, for serving

First peel and chop all your sweet potatoes.

Then you’ll want to steam them. For some strange reason, I don’t have a steamer basket (hello, wedding registry?), so I made my own makeshift one. I filled a pot about halfway with water, got it boiling and then put a strainer over it and filled it with sweet potatoes.

I let the the potatoes steam for about 15-20 minutes. You could probably just microwave them if you didn’t feel like creating a makeshift steamer. But hey, I love a challenge.

I steamed them in two batches since I had so many of them.

The next (and basically last) step is super easy.

Put the sweet potatoes in a food processor. Then add in the chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, oil, cumin, and garlic.

Puree for about one minute. Thin with water if necessary. I definitely had to add a little water to mine.

Season the hummus with salt and pepper and sprinkle some smoked paprika on top if you’d like. Then stick it in the fridge to let it cool.

Serve with pita, of course. The hummus also goes nicely with veggies or crackers.

I love a nice simple recipe I can just throw in the food processor and be done with :) This makes the perfect party appetizer since it’s a beautiful color and delicious to boot.

I absolutely loved this sweet potato hummus, but I would definitely say it wasn’t as smooth and creamy as other hummuses. I didn’t think that was a bad thing; just a bit different.

You give me any way to get my orange vegetables in and I’m happy. This hummus lasts about a week in an airtight container in the fridge. And trust me, I’ve been taking full advantage of that, putting it on basically everything.

Can I just say how happy I am about how quickly this week is flying by? Just have to get through a couple days and then it’s the weekend! And here in Boston, Monday is Patriot’s Day and Marathon Monday :) I still have to work on Monday (one of the perils of freelancing!), but am excited to watch the marathon for a bit since I live on the path. Clearly, I’m way too excited for the weekend when it’s only Wednesday night :) It’s just been one of those weeks!

What’s getting you through this week?

• Haley said:

oh my gosh. I saw the name of your post and thought *two of my most favorite things ever! combined!* this looks awesome!

April 14, 2011 2:10 am

I’ve been in a bit of a funk this week so I’m looking forward to Taste of the Nation tonight and my first 5K on Sunday!

April 14, 2011 6:38 am

mm mmm- Easter app? I think so. This has been a long and busy week. Putting our garden together this weekend is getting me through!!

April 14, 2011 6:57 am
  • brandi said:

this sounds so good! and I love that you write gossip for part of your day job :) I feel like that’s what I SHOULD do! The first websites I check every morning are: gmail, people.com, thesuperficial.com, and justjared.com.

obsessed much? :)

April 14, 2011 8:05 am
  • oh what a fun hummus idea! Plans with friends have been getting me through the week :)

April 14, 2011 8:10 am

I’ve been wanting to make sweet potato hummus for awhile! Now I have a tried and true recipe to use!

April 14, 2011 8:36 am
  • I’ve never had sweet potato hummus before, but it looks and sound delicious! Will definitely need to try this one!

April 14, 2011 9:07 am
  • What a great idea! I love sweet potatoes and hummus, so why not?!

April 14, 2011 9:13 am
  • Julie Folan said:

mmmmmmm this sounds SO good! I can’t wait to make it this weekend :)

April 14, 2011 9:39 am
  • What a great idea!! Also, any time I see the outdoor photos, I now think of those pink slippers! ;)

April 14, 2011 9:40 am
  • I have been living for the weekend since Tuesday. I love Marathon Monday!

April 14, 2011 10:11 am
  • Monique said:

I have a HUGE jar of tahini that needs to be used up. I love this recipe. So creative. so yummy sounding!!!

April 14, 2011 10:42 am
  • NicoleD said:

Never thought of this combo, but it looks fantastic! It is definitely time for more orange things.

April 14, 2011 11:04 am
  • my brother recently sent me this recipe. thanks for test driving it for me!!!

April 14, 2011 11:40 am
  • Such a great twist for hummus – who doesn’t love some sweet potatoes to dress up a dip!

April 14, 2011 11:53 am
  • You know all about my sweet potato obsession, but you might not know that I also absolutely adore hummus! Therefore, I know I would love this :) . I’ve read that peeling the chickpeas will result in a creamier & smoother hummus… but it sounds like a lot of work to me. I’ll probably try it at some point – when I don’t have anything better to do for an hour or so ;) .

April 14, 2011 1:05 pm
  • That sounds divine! I’m a bit of a hummus purist, but I would give this one a try!

April 14, 2011 2:52 pm
  • Andy said:

I wonder how it would be with roasted sweet potatoes instead of steamed? I bet it would have a more mellow, sweet flavour…. i’m going to give it a go!

April 14, 2011 3:09 pm
  • I see you’re a Penzey’s spice lover! Me too! ESPECIALLY smoked paprika! Oh and their cinnamon is dynamite too!

April 14, 2011 4:17 pm
  • This looks AMAZING. I live for hummus!! And friends, sleep and wine are getting me through this long week!

April 14, 2011 4:22 pm
  • I will absolutely be trying this!

April 14, 2011 6:35 pm
  • This looks delicious! Such a great combination! I could totally use this as a sandwich/wrap spread, even in a vegetarian lasagna! So glad to find you through Tastespotting!

April 14, 2011 8:10 pm
  • The sweet potato hummus sounds awesome!! This savory version looks awesome, but I want to try experimenting with a more dessert-like version too!

April 14, 2011 11:14 pm
  • Bridget said:

This looks soooo good! Two of my favorite things combined :) I havent made hummus in a long time either.

I’m glad at least one of us is have a week fly by…my week has been crappy (work wise) but looking forward to the weekend!!

April 15, 2011 10:15 am
  • Kerstin said:

This sounds so addicting and I love how healthy it is! Yay for the weekend :)

April 15, 2011 11:39 pm
  • YUM! I just bought some tahini – this looks like a great way to use it!

April 20, 2011 1:01 pm
  • You have been shared! Hello! You don’t know me, but I have a fairly new facebook page called Recipes, cooking, and food; and I just wanted to let you know that this webpage has been shared there. If you want to check the page out, here’s the link:

Hope you will stop by and visit my page, and feel free to join in the food fest going on there. Plus, on the info page, there are links to other places where Recipes, cooking, and food can be found on the internet. Happy cooking!

May 24, 2011 1:33 pm