Chili Lime Shrimp Tacos with Strawberry, Avocado, Mango Salsa

There are some things I’m 99.9% sure I’ll never enjoy: Camping. The Wire. Whipped cream. Monkeys. Star Wars. Sugar in my coffee. Birkenstocks. Raspberry vodka. Overflowing email inboxes. VW vans. Lazy people. My alarm going off. People who talk loudly on their cell phones in public. Taxes. Ads that have audio. The bass of my neighbor’s techno music. Buttered Popcorn Jelly Belly jelly beans.

But, of course, part of the beauty of life is that we’re all free to change our minds. With no warning, at a moment’s notice. And thank goodness for that because it we weren’t, I wouldn’t be currently experiencing the summer of shrimp. As I’ve mentioned a million times before, I grew up completely disgusted by fish. And it wasn’t until high school that I would even try it. Now? I can’t imagine life without all kinds of seafood…. and especially shrimp.

Since returning home from BlogHer Food, I’ve been encouraging myself to get creative with recipes and to start coming up with ideas on my own. Tonight’s dinner was born out of my obsession for shrimp and mango. OK fine, and avocado, tacos, and chili powder. It’s funny because at one point, I also disliked fruit in my savory meals. But today I found myself craving fruit on tacos. My 8-year-old self would be so offended right now.

Chili Lime Shrimp Tacos with Strawberry, Avocado, Mango Salsa (serves 2):

• 15-20 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
• 1.5 t chili powder
• 1 T lime juice
• 2 t olive oil
• 1 C chopped mango
• 1/2 C chopped strawberries
• 1 C diced avocado
• 1/2 C chopped red onion
• 1 C black beans, drained and rinsed
• 2 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
• 4 small tortillas (I used whole wheat)
• Optional: Greek yogurt for topping

.IMG_7951.jpg

Start by putting the shrimp in a ziplock bag with the chili powder, lime juice, and olive oil. Make sure the shrimp is fully coated and let marinate for about 20-30 minutes.

I usually like to grill my shrimp with the peel and tail still on, but this time I removed them so I could pop the hot shrimp on the tacos without having to worry about removing the peel.

While the shrimp is marinating, get going on the salsa. It’s basically just a lot of chopping. Chop the mango, strawberries, avocado, and red onion and put in a medium bowl.

Drain and rinse the black beans, add them in, and mix everything together.

Heat grill pan (or frying pan if you don’t have one) to medium heat and grill shrimp for about 2-3 minutes on each side, until pink. Your kitchen will immediately start smelling like a resort in the Caribbean. In a good way.

Warm tortillas in oven (or microwave). Top with salsa, 4-5 shrimp, and some feta cheese.

You can add some Greek yogurt on top too, for a little extra creaminess and some tang.

This recipe serves 2 and makes 2 tacos for person. I generally eat a lot and think this was the perfect amount.

The weather here in Boston is finally sunny and warm and this Caribbean-style meal was perfect for eating with the windows open, a slight breeze coming in. It would have been better out on the deck, but my apartment building only has one common deck and it was otherwise occupied. Oh well, the summer has only just begun!

I want to eat a million pounds of this chili lime shrimp and I can think of so many dishes it would be fabulous in. But the way the slight spice contrasted with the sweetness of the fruit blew my mind.

And also? These were so simple and quick. The recipe mainly consists of fruit chopping and grilling shrimp. How easy is that?

This meal will definitely be made again in my house. And I’ll continue to thank my lucky stars that I was allowed to change my mind in regard to shrimp. Who knows, maybe some day you’ll find me wearing Birkenstocks while eating Buttered Popcorn jelly beans and enjoying ads that play audio (especially that “congratulations! You’ve won! ad). Doubtful. But at least I’ll always be keeping my options open.

What are some things you’re 99.9% sure you’ll never like? What have you changed your mind about as you get older?

• i never say never. but i’m really not sure i would ever like sweetbreads, even though i have never had it. psychological thing. maybe if i didn’t know what it was.

May 27, 2011 2:24 am
  • emily said:

fruit in savory dishes does sound weird, but it really does work! :) i never thought i’d like oatmeal! when I was younger, my mom used to make it for us every morning, which made me hate it; now I love it.

May 27, 2011 5:56 am
  • These sound fabulous… I love fruit salsas!

May 27, 2011 6:15 am
  • Maris said:

I love mango and shrimp and can only imagine how delicious they are together.

May 27, 2011 7:17 am
  • Elizabeth said:

Whoa, back it up. You don’t like whipped cream???! Really?!

May 27, 2011 8:18 am
  • Those tacos look fantastic! Love the flavor combinations with the salsa and the shrimp! YUM!
    I will never ever ever like brussle sprouts!! Seriously, they are just gross! lol

May 27, 2011 8:53 am
  • Fantastic recipe! I just made shrimp tacos for John on his birthday, and I wish I had included this delicious salsa.

I’m 99.9% sure I’ll never like olives. I know, I know… everyone finds this aversion difficult to believe; but I just can’t stand ‘em!

May 27, 2011 9:10 am
  • Jess said:

I can’t believe you don’t like whipped cream!

For years I was convinced I hated guacamole. I’m not sure I’d even tried it, it just looked gross and seemed like something I would hate. But then I ate it and I mourn all the years of guacamole loving that I missed out on!

May 27, 2011 9:15 am

I feel the same way about camping…but it is on my 30 by 30 list!

May 27, 2011 9:44 am
  • Maria said:

Great recipe for summer!

May 27, 2011 9:50 am
  • brandi said:

yes, please and thank you. I’d like these with one of your awesome cocktails tonight. is that possible? how far is Boston? :)

So glad I’m not the only one that doesn’t like the popcorn jelly belly’s :) they’re my favorite candy of all time, but I don’t like that flavor!

May 27, 2011 10:24 am
  • kathy said:

the shrimp tacos-awesome! love the salsa-anything with mangos really. agree with all your nevers and add sweetbreads and liver

May 27, 2011 10:36 am
  • Uhm, YUM! I would like this in my belly now please. Why oh why idi it take me so long to find you guys!!!!

May 27, 2011 10:49 am
  • Sues said:

@Elizabeth- I know! I’ve never like it, especially if it’s in a can. Ahh! Even the sound of the can makes me feel sick. I’ll never heap my dessert full of homemade whipped cream, but I do find it much more tolerable than the canned stuff.

May 27, 2011 11:21 am
  • Joanna said:

I have such an aversion to Birkenstocks! Good to know someone else feels the way I do. I also hate blue cheese, which I know is a food sin, but it’s never worked for me. L-o-v-e the look of these tacos though!

May 27, 2011 11:21 am
  • yum said:

I’m totally making this tonight!!! Looks delicious!!!

May 27, 2011 12:06 pm
  • I loved your list but can’t believe you don’t like whipped cream! These look fabulous, I love all the different flavors you put together.

May 27, 2011 12:15 pm
  • These look so fresh and delicious!

May 27, 2011 2:14 pm

these look lovely! So, I always liked fish growing up, but I never liked shrimp or lobster (which was something of a travesty being a year round kid on cape cod, whose dad caught lobsters for fun.) Well I tried them EVERY summer figuring one year I would eventually like them. Thank gosh I was an open minded kid. It took awhile, probably even until college for me to enjoy the taste/texture.

May 27, 2011 2:18 pm
  • Love love love love everything about this! Mmm!

May 27, 2011 3:32 pm

Sues! This looks awesome. I didnt like shrimp growing up either, but i love it now-especially when it has a nice kick. I am 99.9 percent sure i will never like olives, mushrooms, snow/cold weather of any type, beef, anchovies, donuts

May 27, 2011 5:02 pm
  • Livvy said:

omg YUM! all of the ingredients in here are SO up my alley; I love shrimps, mango avocado, black beans, green yogurt, all that great stuff! I am SOOOO SOOO happy that I found you blog and I am so excited to continue reading more! It rocks. :)

May 27, 2011 8:44 pm
  • kelly said:

Okay. These are pretty creative, but the flavors are so perfect together. I just did a watermelon based salsa, so fruit is good. Pineapple works, too! Erm…I’ve slipped into lazydom, and put sugar in my coffee….

May 27, 2011 8:59 pm
  • Megan said:

I’ve been getting mango salsa cravings a lot lately… I think maybe because it’s so summery. I love the feta in these.

And no whipped cream… really?

May 27, 2011 10:10 pm
  • I’ve totally been on a taco kick lately. These sound awesome!

May 29, 2011 5:36 pm
  • Tessa said:

This sounds right up my alley! Love shrimp and love fruit.

I don’t think I’ll ever like raw celery… the smell alone is just awful to me. I used to hate tomatoes as a kid and now I quite like them, same with spicy foods.

May 29, 2011 11:53 pm
  • Brittany said:

My Mum would adore this recipe! She loves seafood and fresh spicy dishes

May 30, 2011 10:37 am
  • Victoria said:

I’m so proud of you for branching out (and no longer being disgusted by seafood, haha). Your shrimp tacos look so delicious, perfect with an ice cold beer (Corona, anyone?) and good company. Hope you’re having a great weekend!

May 30, 2011 5:50 pm

ew, i hate buttered popcorn jelly bellies too!! and it took me awhile to come around to shrimp, but i do like it now and i love the looks of these tacos! yum :)

May 31, 2011 9:14 am
  • These seriously look amaaaazing. And oh man alive I hate buttered popcorn jelly beans. I may love Harry Potter but I am not a fan of “every flavor beans.” Give me the basics plus black licorice and call it a day.

May 31, 2011 6:30 pm
  • Courtney said:

These tacos were phenomenal! So easy, so colorful, and so delicious. Thanks! :)

March 18, 2012 7:51 pm