Glazed Lemon Cookies

When I want dessert, I want dessert. Chocolate. Cookies. Ice Cream. Cake. All sans fruit, please. Don’t get me wrong; I’m a huge lover of fruit, I just like to keep it away from my desserts. Usually. Of course, fruit, and especially citrus, is so light and summery and sometimes I can’t resist making a fruity dessert. And occasionally, I actually fall in love with a fruity dessert. Like these glazed lemon cookies.

From this year on, I think I’ll have to make these at the advent of every spring. And maybe even in the dead of winter when I’m desperately craving some spring. If I close my eyes tightly enough…

Glazed Lemon Cookies (makes about 24 cookies):
Adapted from Martha Stewart

• 2 C all-purpose flour
• 1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
• 1 T finely grated lemon zest
• 1/2 C (1 stick) butter
• 1 C sugar
• 1 large egg
• 1 t pure vanilla extract
• 2 T fresh lemon juice
• Lemon glaze (see below for recipe)

(Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees)

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest.

In a separate large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer, until light and fluffy.

Add in the egg, vanilla, and lemon juice and beat until combined.

Then, with the mixer on low, slowly beat in the flour.

On a cookie sheet, drop dough by the teaspoon about 1 inch apart. You’ll probably need 2 baking sheets.

Bake the cookies at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes, until edges are golden. Let cool for a couple minutes on the cookie sheets before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

Now, on to the lemon glaze! And though the cookies really are fantastic on their own (trust me, I ate 3 while they were cooling), the glaze makes them about a million times better. And it’s also the easiest thing ever, involving 3 ingredients.

Lemon Glaze:

• 2 C confectioners’ sugar
• 2 T finely grated lemon zest
• 1/3 C fresh lemon juice

So, all you have to do is whisk 2 cups of confectioners’ sugar, 2 tablespoons of finely grated lemon zest, and 1/3 cup lemon juice, until smooth.

Some day I want to publish a book called “The Aftermath.” And it will be packed with photos of messy cooking scenes. I’m confiding in you with my ultra amazing idea, so don’t copy my idea, please :)

When the cookies are completely cooled spread them with lemon glaze. As much or as little as you want. I had A LOT of glaze left over… but that could have something to do with the fact that I ate a few cookies before they were glazed. They didn’t stand a chance.

And then let the cookies rest of an hour so the glaze hardens. Sticking them in the fridge will speed up the process a bit.

And then bite into a light, refreshing glazed lemon cookies. These are totally the kind of cookies you could eat 10 of, no problem. They’re soft, but with a little bit of crisp around the edges.

And they’re incredibly tangy and lemony without being too pucker your lips sour.

You should definitely add these cookies to your must-make cookie list. You do have one of those, don’t you? They’re quick and super simple, but totally tasty.

Now, I wonder how these cookies would taste with some chocolate chips involved. Just kidding. Kind of. (Seriously though, white chocolate? Now, that could be awesome).

Are you a fruity dessert person or do you prefer your fruit more as a snack than as a dessert?

Also, let us know if you’re going to be at BlogHer Food in Atlanta in a couple weeks!! We’ll be there and can’t wait to meet new blogger friends as well as familiar faces :) Whether you’re going or not, follow us on Twitter @wearenotmartha for lots of updates!

These remind me a lot of the lemon cookies Maria (two peas and their pod) makes- it looks so yummy. i am definitely a fruity dessert person. For some reason, I’m not a huge chocolate person. In fact, the only time I’ve really enjoyed chocolate (a specific chocolate- the baking chunks) has been during pregnancy! Odd ball I am :) I wish I was going to BlogHer! Have so much fun

May 9, 2011 7:54 pm
  • Maris said:

I must admit that fruit is more of a snack and sweets are more of a dessert, These lemon cookies look like a perfect dessert!

May 9, 2011 8:01 pm
  • oh they look like the perfect spring/summer cookie!

May 9, 2011 8:05 pm
  • i am so with you on the fruit thing. i’m all chocolate and sweet all the time until BAM! i need something with fruit. these look so good! (and is there anything more delectable than looking at butter and sugar creamed together?)

May 9, 2011 8:09 pm
  • Julie Q said:

I’m usually a fruit as a snack kind of girl, but if it sneaks into my desserts, I don’t turn it away ;)

May 9, 2011 8:35 pm
  • Jeannie said:

I love anything with lemons and these cookies of yours looks yummy! I love fruits in cakes e.g. stone fruit cakes or tortes:) But I love fruits in salads too!

May 9, 2011 8:46 pm
  • Pam said:

They look refreshing and delicious – yum!

May 9, 2011 9:46 pm
  • Sharon said:

These cookies were incredible…so, so good!

May 9, 2011 9:47 pm
  • I normally eat fruit as a dessert, it’s a perfect way to end a meal (even though they say you should actually eat your fruit BEFORE a meal because it digests differently). These cookies look great, I love lemony treats.

May 10, 2011 4:47 am
  • I think the same thing when choosing dessert, but lately lemon has much more appeal. These cookies sound wonderful and refreshing!

May 10, 2011 6:07 am
  • I love lemon desserts! and these cookies seem like ‘anytime’ cookies. Like, I always have all of these ingredients in the house and could make them at anytime. I’ll have to bookmark this for the next time I’m craving something sweet and homemade!

May 10, 2011 6:35 am

I definitely prefer fruity desserts over chocolate desserts!

May 10, 2011 7:53 am
  • I have a recipe very similar to this that a friend of mine’s mom gave me. I love them…. they are my second favorite cookie! And honestly, I think white chocolate chips would actually work really well in these cookies….but if I can find a way to put chocolate in something, I will :)

May 10, 2011 8:51 am
  • brandi said:

i’ve been loving lemon desserts lately!

May 10, 2011 9:37 am
  • Lexi said:

YUM!

last week, I found a lemon poppyseed cookie in a coffee shop, so now I am loving all things lemon…I want to try both cookie recipes!

May 10, 2011 10:29 am
  • Amy said:

looks delish, light, summery/springy! yum!

May 10, 2011 10:45 am
  • Mm mmmm! I LOVE lemon cookies and that addition glaze is to die for!

May 10, 2011 11:19 am

and for this reason i’m glad i froze down meyer lemon juice :)

May 10, 2011 11:52 am
  • Joan said:

Yum! I made a lemon cake for Easter and have been wanting something lemony ever since. I made this lemon glaze for it and it was sooo good. I will definitely print this cookie recipe. Thanks!

May 10, 2011 12:08 pm
  • Kelly said:

I’m the same way. What urks me the most are dieting websites and cookbooks that suggest fruit is dessert. Plain fruit. Not for me, thanks.

May 10, 2011 12:34 pm
  • Christina said:

Is it wrong that I would eat these as an afternoon snack with the full intention of having something chocolate-y for dessert after dinner? Seriously, I would love these with some iced mint tea. And seeing as how I’m southern, I would probably eat them on a veranda overlooking a lush garden.

May 10, 2011 1:09 pm
  • These look great! I’m always looking for lighter, non-chocolate desserts in the summertime, so i will definitely be holding on to this recipe!

May 10, 2011 1:10 pm
  • Susan said:

I love lemon desserts and these look wonderful with the bits of lemon zest. I like the idea of white chocolate ;)

May 10, 2011 2:00 pm
  • Holly said:

Mmmmm Lemon is my favorite!! I have got to try these cookies : )

May 10, 2011 2:47 pm
  • Mary said:

These look wonderful. I love lemon and can imagine just how good they must taste. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

May 10, 2011 2:50 pm

I like fruit in dessert, but i like it more with something chocolatey! These look fantastic, though. what a perfect warm weather cookie.

May 10, 2011 4:44 pm
  • briarrose said:

I usually eat plain fruit as dessert….but rarely include it in my actual desserts….I’ve never noticed that before. Lemon I usually think of as more of an ingredient than a fruit though since I’d never just nab a slice and nosh it…unless of course liquor of some sort is involved. ;)

Lovely, bright cookies. Perfect for a spring day. Chocolate and lemon….shockingly good combination….I would totally sneak some into these cookies.

May 10, 2011 6:58 pm
  • Sharlene said:

As I get older and the dense chocolate desserts start creeping on my thighs I’ve come to appreciate the light and more guilt-free option of fruity desserts. I still love my chocolate but these look amazing too now!

May 11, 2011 9:44 am
  • Yes, these are the best. I made them a few weeks ago. I think they’re perfect (and sweet enough) without the icing, but that’s just my call. I love how light tasting these are (even though they’re not healthy). Perfect for summer!

May 11, 2011 5:42 pm
  • Reeni said:

I have been craving lemon cookies like crazy – love these! Tart and sweet are my favorite for desserts!

May 11, 2011 9:43 pm
  • lena said:

these lemon cookies look light to me, i wld love them! couldnt agree more on the aftermath! messy kitchen..so much washing to follow up..!

May 20, 2011 10:52 am