Jalapeño Orange Spritzer

I did it. I really did it.

You knew if I continued Cocktail Friday, this had to happen eventually. Jalapeño-infused vodka. A huge container of jalapeños at Trader Joe’s caught my eye and then it hit me. What could possibly go wrong with jalapeño vodka? Well, it turns out a lot of things if you don’t wear rubber gloves when chopping and seeding the jalapeños. But we won’t get into that here. Really though, if you’re working with jalapeños wear gloves. That’s all.

I had a lot of back and forth debate within my head about what kind of drink to make with the jalapeño vodka. I knew orange would be a great accent. But I was also slightly tempted to muddle some strawberries and simply splash in some soda water. In the end, the orange won out because I had a feeling the super spicy vodka would need something to cut it a bit.

And it did.

Jalapeño Orange Spritzer (makes 2):

• 6 oz. vodka
• 1 jalapeño, sliced with seeds removed
• 5 oz. orange juice
• 2 oz. soda water

Chop one jalapeño and remove the seeds. If you’re really scared of spice, you might want to soak the sliced peppers in cold water overnight. Actually, if you’re really scared of spice, you probably won’t be making this drink. But maybe you’re feeling a little crazy or something.

Pour 6 oz. vodka in a container and drop the jalapeño slices in. I used my Chef’n Salad Dressing Emulsifier that Chels got me. While I love making salad dressing in it, it might also be my new favorite cocktail mixer/liquor infuser. Dear Chef’n, please let me market your Chef’n Salad Dressing Emulsifier in new and innovative ways.

Let the vodka and jalapeño infuse overnight. Or if you’re scared of spicy stuff, just let it sit for a couple hours.

When you open the container or vodka in the morning, don’t take a big whiff of it. Just trust me. Don’t. Unless you really, really need some waking up. Jalapeño vodka… the new coffee?

When you’re ready to enjoy your cocktail, fill a shaker with ice, 3 oz. of the jalapeño-infused vodka, and 2.5 oz. of orange juice. Shake well.

Pour into a glass and top off with club soda. Add a jalapeño slice to the side. Because you’re already overdoing it anyway.

Taste! Because it might be too spicy for you. I’m telling you, we like it HOT around here. If it’s too much to handle, add in more orange juice or club soda. Or add in more plain vodka if you’re not into watering your drinks down. I get that. Also, the first sip might make you think it’s spicier than it is. My lips burned a little. But then I drank it right down!

I also think it might be nice to make a simple syrup if you’d prefer to sweeten the drink up and tone the spiciness down.

This cocktail was super spicy, but also really, really flavorful and just plain amazing. I’ve never had Absolut Peppar, but I imagine the jalapeño vodka was a bit similar. I’d probably even sip it slowly on the rocks. OK, maybe with a splash of water.

We took our drinks out to the deck and sat outside for the first time this year. It was delightful!! I can definitely see us spending happy hour out here quite often this summer. The pool opens tomorrow, but I don’t think we’ll make it out there this weekend. Maybe next! That means Cocktail Friday, Saturday, and Sunday poolside.

This was one of my favorite Cocktail Fridays yet! Minus the fact that Dateline was a re-run tonight. I hate when that happens.

But the Bruins won and are going to the Stanley Cup, so I guess that makes up for it (I don’t really know what I’m talking about; I’m really not a big sports fan. But I do love Boston and love when our sports teams do well!).

My bottom line is that you should make this. If you’re making it for company, be sure you warn them that it’s spicy before they take a big gulp.

Also, you should probably have some Mexican food with this. Perhaps even my Shrimp Tacos with Strawberry, Avocado, and Mango Salsa.

Now if I could just figure out how to infuse cupcakes into vodka, I’d be all set.

Or make jalapeño cupcakes. With vodka in them. OK, it’s Friday night and it’s time for me to relax for the next three days :) Happy Memorial Day weekend!

Do you have any big plans for this weekend? Cocktails involved?

• Lora said:

I love the idea of jalapeño vodka. Even though they are 26 euro a kilo here, this is a must try. The cocktail looks amazing!

May 28, 2011 1:48 am
  • Maris said:

It looks really good but I will add to the warning from my own experience with jalapenos-Don’t rub your eyes especially when wearing contacts! Have a nice week-end!

May 28, 2011 6:07 am
  • wow! this is so creative! wish I had that last night! :)

May 28, 2011 7:53 am
  • Nisrine M said:

I’m not used to jalapeno in drinks but I’m loving the idea. Happy long weekend!

May 28, 2011 8:06 am

If you go to Triple 8 Distillery in Nantucket, ask for their habanero and pineapple infused vodka. SO good!

May 28, 2011 10:02 am

How fun is this? Josh is obsessed with jalapenos. I could totally use some from our garden. The pictures of you two outside are so cute :) ENJOY the weekend. I am spending most of today with my Mom, tomorrow, walking the bridge in Charleston and Monday??

May 28, 2011 10:04 am

Love jalapeno infused vodka… my dad has made it a few times. So great in bloody marys too!

May 28, 2011 10:06 am
  • Jaime said:

pass me one of those! :)

May 28, 2011 10:11 am
  • Ha! I was just telling the SO how lame we were to watch Dateline on a Friday night. :) We are not alone!

May 28, 2011 11:04 am
  • Joanne said:

Will I EVER learn to wear gloves when using jalapenos? Doubtful. But I will learn to make these cocktails. Delicious!

May 28, 2011 11:15 am
  • Mary said:

Those look so refreshing and judging from those happy faces they must be delicious as well. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

May 28, 2011 11:22 am
  • #1 You are just the cutest. Seriously loving the pics.
    #2 I will be doing this. Hope it sets my mouth aflame in a tasty way.

May 28, 2011 4:05 pm
  • emily said:

Sues! I did the exact same thing making homemade salsa last weekend. I got the nasty oil on my hands, then touched my face and my eyes..let’s just say I won’t be making homemade salsa for a while now. :(

That said, this cocktail looks amazing! Hope you enjoy the long weekend; I”m spending it with family and friends. :)

May 28, 2011 4:45 pm
  • Bee said:

Eeee I am loving all your cocktails :) Jalapeno infused vodka… who knew!

May 29, 2011 11:57 am
  • oh, my GOSH. david is going to want one now! but i don’t have any vodka in the house! this is a definite problem! ;-)

May 29, 2011 8:22 pm
  • Barbara said:

Wow. I’m making this ASAP!

May 30, 2011 9:12 am
  • Kelly said:

I am such a wimp, I could never handle this. But everyone in my life loves spicy stuff, this is so cool!

May 30, 2011 3:02 pm
  • I am a huge fan of jalapenos! I love anything spicy. Not a big fan of cocktails, but I’ll absolutely drink this one!

May 30, 2011 5:43 pm
  • wow, i’d love to try this — but maybe would stick to a baby batch the first time around. I made a cucumber infused gin this weekend!

May 30, 2011 9:05 pm

looks like a perfect start to the weekend! you guys looks so relaxed and cute sipping them on the deck. I made it to my roofdeck for the first time this year on friday, but was less creative and just drank Peroni’s. next time, making these for sure!!

May 31, 2011 9:49 am
  • brandi said:

Okay, if I seriously get to come to Boston this summer, I’d like a cocktail on the porch :)
    This sounds like such a fun recipe. Nick loves spicy things, so I think he’d love it.

May 31, 2011 10:25 am
  • Bridget said:

I must send this link to my best friend, she LOVES spicy!! I am getting there….I bet I’d like the “medium” version of this drink ;) Looks delicious though.

May 31, 2011 12:04 pm
  • I just had a vision; it involved vodka and jalapenos. I’m thinking this could rock out some mighty fine bloody mary’s as well…

May 31, 2011 8:05 pm
  • Susan said:

This looks like an amazing drink. I’ve been really getting into jalapenos lately in my meals, but in a drink? That’s another level.

May 31, 2011 10:27 pm
  • Jackie s said:

Will definitely try this . I make jalenpeno infused vodka by the 1/2 gallon to make pinapple pepper martinis

May 24, 2013 9:58 pm