S’mores Pancakes

Bad day? Week? Month? Life? I’ve got the cure. Really, all you need is to have had a bad minute to justify eating chocolate and marshmallow fluff for dinner. Because that’s essentially what this is. You’re probably better off eating it for a Sunday afternoon brunch after a rough Saturday night, when indulgences are always excused. But I had it for dinner. And I refuse to feel bad. So there.

If you know me, you know I have a special place in my heart for s’mores. Really, I do. I think it’s one of the best flavor combinations in the world and I would love to recreate those flavors a million different ways. When the idea of s’mores pancakes crossed my mind, I realized it could be pretty perfect. Graham cracker pancakes, marshmallow fluff, and chocolate sauce. Simple, yet beyond satisfying.

I made my own marshmallow fluff for this recipe because a) it’s the easiest thing ever and b) store-bought Fluff scares me. I’m totally going to be one of those moms who lets their kids eat junk food, but only if it’s junk food I make myself. They’ll be like “mommy, can I have an Oreo cookie?” And I’ll be all, “Sure, honey; just give me an hour in the kitchen and your Oreo cookie will be ready.” But at least we’ll always have marshmallow fluff in the refrigerator. Yes, refrigerator because it doesn’t have all those shelf-stable preservatives that the store-bought stuff has.

S’mores Pancakes (serves 2 hungry or greedy people):

Marshmallow fluff:

2 egg whites
1 C corn syrup
1/4 t salt
1 1/2 C powdered sugar
1 T vanilla
1/4 t cream of tartar

Because I’ve made marshmallows before, I knew I could make fluff. Because really, all marshmallows are are fluff with gelatin. Making the fluff is a lot easier and less messy than going all the way with the marshmallow (you know what I mean).

In the bowl of a standing mixture beat together the egg whites, corn syrup, and salt on high speed for 4-5 minutes until it thickens quite a bit. Your mixture will have started clear, but after beating, it will turn bright white… like fluff!

Now, simply mix in the powdered sugar, vanilla, and cream of tartar on low speed, until combined.

See? Easy. And it looks exactly like what you’d buy in the store.

You can make this ahead of time and pop it in the fridge. It should stay fine in your fridge for about 10 days and if you’re making it for these pancakes, you’ll have a couple cups extra, for lots of peanut butter and fluff sandwiches. Or just plain fluff on everything.

Next, I started making the graham cracker pancakes. Which are basically the same as regular pancakes, but with graham cracker crumbs.

Graham Cracker Pancakes:

1 C flour
1 T sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt
3/4 C graham cracker crumbs (about 8 crackers)
1 egg, beaten
2 T butter, melted
1 1/4 C milk (I used light vanilla soy, but any kind should do)

Take about 8 graham crackers, put them in a plastic bag, and whack them with something like a meat tenderizer, until they’re in fine crumbs.

Now, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and graham cracker crumbs until well combined.

Add whisked egg, melted butter, and milk into the flour mixture and mix until blended.

Heat a griddle or pan at medium heat and spray lightly with cooking spray.

Pour a couple tablespoons of batter onto the griddle and let cook about a minute on each side.

They’ll be pretty light and fluffy, thought the graham crackers give them a little extra denseness.

And well, if you’re going to make s’mores (in any form) you need chocolate. I made a super simple sauce with a Hershey’s bar because if you’re making s’mores, you need to use Hershey’s chocolate.

Chocolate topping:

• 1 bar Hershey’s Milk Chocolate

Just break the chocolate up and put the chocolate in a double broiler (or in a saucepan over another saucepan of boiling water) and stir it until melted.

Really, my photos aren’t all that pretty. And I probably should have made these pancakes a second time before posting about them. But, to be honest, these pancakes are a once a year sort of meal. As tasty as they were, they’re as decadent as anything and after eating a plate-full, the pancakes and I need a little time apart. I think they understand

You can arrange these any way you want. I started by spreading the marshmallow fluff on the top of one pancake.

Then I put the second pancake on top.

I put a little chocolate sauce on top of that.

And then repeated, with another pancake, more fluff, a fourth pancake, and more chocolate. It’s messy. But a beautiful sort of mess.

I was going to put a fifth pancake on top to sandwich the whole shebang together, but frankly, it had to end somewhere. And I think that somewhere was here.

I think Chris thought I was crazy for serving graham cracker pancakes covered in marshmallow and chocolate for dinner, but he didn’t try to stop me. We’ve both had rough weeks, we haven’t been able to get to the grocery store, and a little chocolate and fluff has never hurt a soul. If anything, it helped us. In fact, I think we’re both a little happier this morning.

And when I saw Chris take a bite of the Hershey’s chocolate bar I left on the plate for decoration, I knew I was totally justified in my dinner choice. There is never enough chocolate.

Make these for brunch or dinner or simply for the best afternoon snack ever.

They’ll cure a bad day or simply a bad second and make you feel like a kid again. Bonus points for the fact that you don’t even need a campfire or marshmallow roasting stick to make them.

Speaking of, have you ever seen this video of Martha Stewart making marshmallow roasting sticks? Watch it. It’s fantastically wonderful.

What’s your favorite not-really-dinner meal to have for dinner?

• Melanie said:

This. Is. Amazing.

June 8, 2011 2:59 pm

LOVE! And this is why breakfast for dinner rocks! And I’m totally going to be that Mom too…;)

June 8, 2011 3:01 pm

I am very impressed you made your own fluff. what a fun dinner. sounds like you will be the coolest mom ever. the kids will have to understand the wait will be well worth it!

June 8, 2011 3:03 pm
  • Janel said:

You are insane. These are insane. In a good way! I just felt my blood sugar spike without even eating these…also in a good way :)

June 8, 2011 3:15 pm
  • Nisrine M said:

This is really cool/clever/lovely! Yum!!

June 8, 2011 4:02 pm
  • Jonny said:

making your own fluff? I’d happily have a bad day more often if I had homemade fluff to make it all better.

June 8, 2011 4:23 pm
  • I’ve never been so turned on by a pancake in my life.

June 8, 2011 5:24 pm
  • Ummm. Yes. I will take a stack of these, please ;) . Every now and then I’ll have a sweet dessert-y breakfast for dinner, and every time I do I ask myself why I don’t do so more often!

June 8, 2011 6:06 pm
  • oh. my. gosh. this looks like heaven on a plate! you need to market this! :)

June 8, 2011 8:38 pm
  • omg you are so right, this would make any bad day or week better! I need to go make homemade fluffernutter asap and then these pancakes, yum!

June 9, 2011 6:58 am
  • ohmahgah, i want. the problem with fluff (or homemade marshmallow goo) is that i eat way too much of it in one sitting. like, all of it. so, i don’t really trust myself around it. however, i may need to make these because they look so.darn.good.

laura

June 9, 2011 8:40 am
  • Oh… my…. goodness… those look absolutely decadent!! If you are in need of children, you can adopt me, it’s not a problem, my parents would totally understand :)

June 9, 2011 8:56 am
  • Quite the dinner, that’s for sure :)
    I will totally try to be one of those moms too… better learn how to make the “basics” ;)

June 9, 2011 8:59 am

Oh wow. These might have to be a “must make soon”.

June 9, 2011 9:09 am
  • This is a great idea – something I want to do with my nephews for sure. Love the homemade fluff most of all – I can myself licking it out of the batter!

June 9, 2011 9:52 am
  • Birthday breakfast.

June 9, 2011 11:11 am
  • Wow. These look heavenly!

June 9, 2011 12:52 pm
  • emily said:

oh my goooodness! i need a stack of these after this week.
    plus whatever drink recipe you have up your sleeve for tomorrow x 2. :)

June 9, 2011 4:23 pm
  • Barbara said:

Actually, the video was really funny!
    And your pancakes look perfect! I’d save some of that marshmallow for some chocolate ice cream after dinner! :)

June 9, 2011 8:20 pm

these would be the cure to my day today!! who knew that fluff was that easy to make :)

June 9, 2011 9:12 pm
  • i love you.

June 9, 2011 9:44 pm
  • Bee said:

This is inspiring me to make a cupcake version! Ohhh the possibilities…

June 9, 2011 10:39 pm
  • RebeccaC said:

Everything about this is wrong…and yet so, so right. I too have a love of all things smore….been toying with the idea of a s’more rice krispie treat (what’s with the wierd breakfast tie ins, huh?)

June 10, 2011 8:32 am
  • Sian said:

Thanks for posting this. I am in the UK and corn syrup isn’t easy to find – and graham crackers impossible -… but it’s the idea! We have a whole host of kids coming for a party next Saturday – the main event will be make your own pizza – but I’m thinking some kind of fluff, peanut butter, cholocate pizza will be a dream dessert. … actually thinking about it – marshmallow, chocolate, nut and dried cherry calzone… or … peanut butter, jam….. etc etc

June 10, 2011 2:33 pm
  • These look amazing!!!

June 10, 2011 10:12 pm
  • My sweet tooth is fully activated after reading this post! I love that you had these for DINNER!!! Love this recipe!

June 11, 2011 12:08 pm
  • smartest permutation of a s’more i’ve seen yet. must try. as soon as i can talk myself into the decadence.

June 11, 2011 6:45 pm
  • You are amazing! Give me a stack of those right now.

June 12, 2011 6:14 am
  • brandi said:

okay, seriously. if I’m in boston in july – I want these! :)

June 13, 2011 10:34 am
  • Kelly said:

Yum! How indulgent and fun do these sound. Love it!

June 14, 2011 5:57 pm
  • Aimee said:

My kids would LOVE these. I’m thinking I would make a chocolate sauce in a runny sort of way and then add chocolate chips to top the whole thing off. I might also go on a limb and add bananas to the pancake batter.

The homeade fluff I have to try. That is one huge honking bottle of vanilla!

June 15, 2011 9:12 pm
  • Jessa said:

This is the best thing I have seen in my entire life, I can’t wait to make these.

October 1, 2011 10:19 pm
  • Jessa said:

So I finally made these and told everyone I knew about these. Literally everyone I saw I told them about these pancakes. I love the homemade fluff – I had no idea how simple it was. One little change I made to this was bacon! I crumbled bacon on top and wowza. Technically no longer a s’more at that point but techincally everything with bacon is awesome.

December 5, 2011 6:19 pm
  • Jessie said:

Oh my dear lord!!!! I am seriously about to go to the store right now to get the few more things i need to make this!!! Ha, I can’t believe how excited I just got over this. Can’t wait to make these for the boys for breakfast in the morning lol Thank you!

December 14, 2011 3:44 am
  • nepeta leijon said:

today is 6/26/2013 and tomorrow is my sister’s birthday and my parent’s anniversary and i asked my sister if she wanted me to make them she said that it’s to sweet but i’m making them any way

June 27, 2013 12:59 am