Spicy Grapefruit Margarita

July 8, 2011

Meet your new drink of summer. “Hello, new drink of summer, nice to meet you.” Take a good look because I think you’ll be getting to know each other veryyy well this summer. Thank goodness this drink is easy on the eyes. Not to mention the taste buds. The second I saw the Spicy Grapefruit Margarita in Bon Appetit this month, I knew it was going to be my drink of summer. I mean, habanero infused tequila? That beats even the jalapeño infused vodka I made last month. Because really, habanero trumps jalapeno every time. Sorry jalapeño, you know I still love you. Facts are facts.

Everyone needs a drink of summer. And it should be cool and refreshing… But with a nice kick. Because what’s summer without a little spice? After an entire week went by, I decided it couldn’t wait one more second and I whipped these up for a 4th of July BBQ. Before you make these, just know that the tequila and habanero needs 3 hours to steep. Luckily I had exactly 3 hours. Some things are just meant to be.

My instincts were a little bit off here when it came to the grapefruit juice. I grabbed a couple grapefruit and then realized 2 grapefruits weren’t going to give me even close to 6 cups of juice. So I added in another. Still not enough. So, I poured in some 100% grapefruit juice picked up from the corner store. I tried. What I’m trying to tell you is that even though the photo below shows 2 grapefruits, you’ll probably need 6. Or you can simply use grapefruit juice (just make sure it’s 100% juice) for a quick fix. Or you can cut this drink down to serve fewer people. But why would you really want to do that?

Spicy Grapefruit Margarita (serves 8):
Adapted from Bon Appetit

• 2 C tequila
• 2 habanero chiles, cut in half
• 6 C fresh pink grapefruit juice (about 6 grapefruits… or you can use 100% grapefruit juice from a carton if needed)
• Kosher salt

Pour the tequila in a large pitcher and add the habaneros in. Let steep for about 3 hours. The recipe says you can let them steep even longer for a spicier kick… But holy crow this was crazy spicy. And you know me, I love my spice!

You can actually feel free to make this up to a month ahead of time. But I recommend removing the habaneros instead of letting them steep for a whole month. Eeek.

Squeeze your grapefruit juice while the habaneros are steeping. And push through a strainer.

Pour some water on a small plate. On another small plate, pour some kosher salt.

Dip the rims of your glasses onto the plate with the water and then onto the salt.

Obviously put a lime slice on the rim as well.

Pour the grapefruit juice into the pitcher with the tequila. Add ice and stir it to chill.

Then put ice in your salted glasses and serve the drink up!

I mean, really? This drink is perfection to me.

It’s the kind of cocktail where at first you might be like, “Whoa! Too much spice!” But then the more you sip on it, the more you really start to enjoy it. The hot kick combined with the cold iciness was incredible and perfect for a steamy July evening.

And honestly, I think it’s just about the prettiest drink ever. It looks so innocent being all pretty and pink, doesn’t it? Little would you suspect the punch it brings!

Don’t worry, we actually did some eating on the 4th of July, too. Lots of it, in fact. Long live The Meat House (um, have you tried their jalapeno burgers? You must! With these drinks, of course) and our summer of grilling (and cocktails).

Have I mentioned I love summer? Plus, today equals one week until a nice much-needed vacation. Lake Chautauqua, here I come! Please prepare your nice weather for us 🙂

Happy Cocktail Friday! I hope your weekend is all kinds of cool with a spicy kick!

What will you be sipping on this weekend?

Tagged With

35 Responses to "Spicy Grapefruit Margarita"

1. These margaritas are adorable in the mason jars!

2. The mason jars are perfect! I need to try this spicy cocktail making thing soon.

3. Mal says:

I saw this in Bon Appetit and was wondering about it as well! It looks fantastic.

4. Nisrine M. says:

It sounds fantastic and I love it served in mason jars.

5. Spike says:

Hello, new drink of summer! looks perfect

6. sweeter salt says:

I’ve recently discovered my love for silver tequila (after many years of hating it) so this sounds delicious. I recently had a grapefruit / tequila cocktail at a restaurant so now I want to try it on my own – yum!

Laura

7. A.Judy says:

The Lake is waiting for all of you………can’t control the weather but can guarantee the creation of many happy memories…….can’t wait!!

8. briarrose says:

Now that is a drink with some kick to it. 😉 Love the jars as serving glasses.

9. Daisy says:

fantastic drink! I need to make this one next!

10. This has some of my very favorite things ever! I love that you used mason jars. This weekend I’ll be sipping on some wine we recently bought, but I bet I can sneak in a cocktail (or five) 😉

11. These margaritas sound great, and I love that you served them in Ball jars!

12. Erica says:

Seriously- mason jars make every drink awesome! But this sounds so intriguing! I love the idea of adding some spicy kick to a grapefruit beverage. And your intro to this post made me laugh 🙂 Have a great weekend

13. Lauren says:

Grapefruit is so refreshing in the summer!

14. Jackie says:

This looks SO yum. I wanna go home and start drinkin’ early!! =)

15. the salt is perfect- i like when it’s coarse grain like that! major props for whipping up such a yummy drink! 🙂

16. Habanero in my drink?? Yes, please! Better make it 2!!! 🙂

17. Habanero infused tequila? Oh yes! I can tell we’re going to be good friends. 🙂

18. Simone says:

O that looks lovely! Now if only the weather here would improve this would be perfect for one of those long hot summerdays!

19. These look awesome! It’s my birthday tomorrow, so I’ll probably be sipping on any cocktail that’s within reach. 😉

20. Michelle says:

I firmly believe that everything tastes better when it is served in a mason jar! Happy weekend!

21. Kerstin says:

More drinks should contain grapefruit juice – these look amazing! i love those mason jars too!

22. This looks amazing! I know what I’m drinking tonight 🙂

23. I love grapefruit. I love The Meat House. I love summer too and this post. 🙂

24. Wow. Grapefruit margs sound absolutely excellent. I wonder if the heartburn would be worse or better than limes? I’ll have to try them to figure that out.

25. Olga Duate says:

Preparing different drinks for my birthday in August—–I have chosen this as one of them –Spicy Margarita drink —will let you know soon<3

26. ohhhh, yummy. last night, over some regular margaritas, i realized that tequila is my new favorite booze. making these soon!

27. Looks like the perfect summer drink!

28. miri leigh says:

Love the mason jars and the added kick!

29. Um, adorable! I love it. And especially love the mason jars for serving! I NEED to get some mason jars!!

30. Joanne says:

I have some serious grapefruit love (though it has taken me 24 years to get there!) so I’m pretty sure this needs to be MY drink of summer, as well!

31. Vanessa says:

Pretty! Cocktail Monday? Post more…

32. awww sues.. This spicy grapefruit margarita looks so exotic !! 🙂

33. Spicy Grapefruit Margarita. It is really great!!! Want to try it now. Love it.