Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese

Happy Monday! See? I’m trying to be pleasant about it, but in truth, I’m feeling a bit sluggish. I actually generally enjoy Mondays, simply because they bring with them so much potential. Anything can happen with a whole week spread out in front of you. And this Monday is especially promising because, not only is it the start of the week, it’s also the start of the month.

I tend to waver between cooking complicated, ambitious meals on Monday evenings and simple, “let’s please ease into this week slowly” meals. I can already tell I’m going to need to ease into this week/month nice and gently and this sandwich is the perfect way to do so. Sure, it’s a simple grilled cheese. But really, it’s so much more than that.

As you probably know by now, I like to add spice to my meals whenever possible. So, what’s better than a jalapeño-packed grilled cheese sandwich? And since jalapeño poppers are just about the best party appetizer ever, I decided to recreate them into a sandwich. Bacon-wrapped jalapeño poppers, of course. Because until recently, I didn’t even realize people ate jalapeño poppers without bacon. Huh.

Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese (makes 2 sandwiches):

• 3 jalapeño peppers
  • 1 t olive oil
  • 4 strips bacon
  • 4 slices crusty bread
  • 1.5 T butter
  • 1 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese
  • 3 oz. pepperjack cheese(I used Cabot’s 50% reduced fat)

(Turn broiler on high)

Start by cutting the jalapeños into strips and getting rid of that membrane. I disposed of many of the seeds, but left some since I knew I wanted the sandwich to have a kick.

Brush the jalapeños lightly with olive oil and place on a foil-covered baking sheet.

Broil the peppers for about 5-7 minutes, until nice and blackened. Put the peppers in a bowl and immediately cover, so they can steam. Once they’re cooled, remove from bowl and take the skin off. It should come off from the pepper easily.

While the peppers are broiling, you can start cooking the bacon. Cook it until it’s nice and crispy.

Divide 1.5 T butter between each slice of bread. Slather the tops of two of the slices with cream cheese. Place bread slices butter-side down on cooking surface over medium-low heat.

Put jalapeño peppers on top of cream cheese. On the other two slices of bread, lay out cheese.

Cook open-face for about 5 minutes, until the cheese is nice and melty and the bread is crisping up (but not burning).

Remove bread slices from pan and put bacon on top of the cheese.

And your grilled cheese sandwich is complete! I love that it’s basically a deconstructed jalapeño popper snuggled in between bread.

I honestly don’t think I’ll be able to look at “normal” grilled cheese sandwiches the same way ever again.

OK, Monday, you’re really not so bad when you get started off this way. And I have a feeling this sandwich bodes really well for what the rest of August will bring. Fingers crossed.

Now, it’s time for me to get this week started in the best way possible. With the new Bon Iver blasting on Spotify (seeing Bon Iver on Friday and I can’t wait!!) and a nice mug of hot Starbucks coffee in hand. Plus, it’s the season finale of The Bachelorette tonight. Yes, I watch and I have no shame :) Who are you rooting for? I’m Team JP all the way. But I have to say, I’m quite excited for the upcoming Bachelor Pad… It’s going to be scandalous!

I hope you all have a fabulous first day of the week and month and that August is your best month yet. I can’t believe that summer is flying by so quickly and that before long, pumpkin recipes will be back in regular rotation! Sorry, I won’t get ahead of myself :)

What are you looking forward to this week/month?

I’m looking forward to cooking our first meal in our new place tonight!

August 1, 2011 8:26 am
  • I don’t do cream cheese but the rest of this sandwich?1 YUM!

August 1, 2011 8:26 am
  • Ooh fun! I definitely love the bacon but my hubs would love the jalapenos – will have to give this a try sometime :)

August 1, 2011 8:52 am
  • Cara said:

Team JP with you! Also, the previews to Bachelor Pad looked so juicy last night. I am definitely going to make these sandwiches this week, what a genius, delicious idea!

August 1, 2011 8:57 am

this grilled cheese looks life changing. such a great recipe!

August 1, 2011 9:02 am

We have tons of jalapenos from our garden- i will totally be adding them to my grilled cheese. We are starting this month with a bang!

August 1, 2011 9:14 am
  • Dawn said:

Wow that sounds amazing! I often put jalapeños in my grilled cheese, but nothing so fancy as this! I can’t wait to try it. :)

August 1, 2011 9:24 am
  • Great idea! Looks delish.

(I’m team JP too)

August 1, 2011 9:38 am
  • Candace said:

That is the best looking grilled cheese that I’ve seen in a long time. I love that you used Cabot’s products too. We are Cabot lovers around here too. Thanks for sharing this great idea!

August 1, 2011 10:41 am
  • This is a great idea! I love jalapeno poppers too but have a confession that might shock you: I’ve never had a bacon wrapped jalapeno :( That will change as I will be recreating this sandwich soon!

August 1, 2011 10:45 am
  • Monique said:

How gorgeous and tasty does taht look!?!
    I am having a day from hell so far… and this gives me hope!

August 1, 2011 11:11 am
  • Pam said:

Wow, wow, WOW! That looks fantastic!!!

August 1, 2011 11:37 am
  • the heat of the summer makes me sluggish too. i’m upping my lemon juice and water in the mornings to help me get going. humidity kills me.
    this sandwich? is the bomb. genius girl!

August 1, 2011 12:06 pm
  • Ann said:

This looks so great!! Where do you find the Cabot reduced fat pepperjack? I only ever see the regular cheddar in reduced fat (usually Stop & Shop).

August 1, 2011 12:48 pm
  • ooh bacon is clearly necessary here! I’d love to slather a little sweet jelly on it too!

August 1, 2011 1:24 pm
  • LaGrande said:

Hell yes, i want write a one of inference like this but didnt have period, may i repost this Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese « We are not Martha

August 1, 2011 2:23 pm
  • Sues said:

@Ann- I know Market Basket has a lot of the reduced fat Cabot cheeses. And I’ve seen reduced fat jalapeno (very similar to pepperjack) at the Stop and Shop in Brookline, MA!

August 1, 2011 2:51 pm
  • NicoleD said:

This is genius!

August 1, 2011 3:35 pm
  • Epicurea said:

what a delightful and fun blog! and i guess you just made everyone’s monday a little less painful :-) .

August 1, 2011 4:51 pm
  • Kelly said:

I am definitely a bachelorette fan and on the JP bandwagon. I wasn’t in love with him in the first episode but he has definitely gotten cuter to me over time. :-) And that grilled cheese sounds a-ma-zing. I haven’t had many jalapeno poppers in my life, but I love the sound of this re-imagined as a grilled cheese sandwich. So sinful!

August 1, 2011 6:03 pm
  • Amy said:

That looks and sounds AMAZING. I’m not a huge jalapeno fan, but I do like the poppers…YUM!

August 1, 2011 7:24 pm
  • An awesome grilled cheese, excellent with jalapenos and bacon!

August 1, 2011 7:32 pm
  • Well that grilled cheese got my attention! Love the combinations you put together and can’t wait to try this one! PS I’m an unashamed fan of JP’s too. ;-}

August 1, 2011 7:45 pm
  • Shawna said:

My husband would love me even more if I made this for him – thanks for sharing. This would be a very special treat for him :)

August 1, 2011 8:43 pm
  • my husband would be ALL over these…but i just made black bean burgers with jalapeno in them tonight and now have jalapeno burns on my fingers…no fun :( so if he wants them soon, he’ll have to make it himself! haha!

August 1, 2011 9:16 pm
  • i’m stumbling into this week. sandwiches were a good idea. i resulted in frozen pizza… it’s from trader joe’s… so it’s not the worst ever…. sigh.

August 1, 2011 10:13 pm
  • I can’t say I’m looking forward to it, but school starts this month, and there’s air conditioning there at least. :) That grilled cheese looks amazing! I passed up some free jalapenos yesterday and now I’m sorry I did. I’ll know better next weekend! :)

August 2, 2011 12:21 am
  • Brilliant. Am also kicking myself that I’ve just discovered your blog now. I have so much to catch up on. Including last night’s episode of The Bachelorette (it’s my absolute guilty pleasure. I force myself to stretch my hamstrings while I watch it, so at least I feel like I’m doing something good for myself).

August 2, 2011 3:52 am
  • Barbara said:

I’ve got a son who’s going to love this grilled cheese! Never have made one with cream cheese, either. Great recipe which I’ve written down already.
    Can’t believe August is here, can you? Summer goes by so fast!

August 2, 2011 6:46 am
  • Amazing sandwich! I tend to love Mondays too, I feel like there is something so hopeful about them, and I feel so energized after the weekend. I too am excited about Bachelor Pad :)

August 2, 2011 8:07 am
  • Oh my, that looks so good! I had a grilled cheese like this at Melt in Cleveland, dipped in raspberry preserves. It was way too good – and kinda worth the tummy ache it gave me after :) .

August 2, 2011 8:38 am
  • Genius!! This has to be the best grilled cheese sandwich I’ve ever seen :) Is it wrong to want one at 5:45am???

August 2, 2011 8:47 am
  • Reeni said:

You are a genius, my dear! This would be like having fireworks go off in my mouth! I love it.

August 2, 2011 9:59 am
  • I love cream cheese and I love jalepeno peppers! First time here and I loved my stay here! Really nice recipe. Absolutely mouth-watering!! Have you got anything left for me?

August 2, 2011 11:33 am
  • I usually like to spice up my grilled cheese with sriracha but I like the thought of grilled jalapenos!

August 2, 2011 1:40 pm
  • jeannie said:

Yeah, we are having some very hot days here too, followed by scattered showers every other day…not fun especially when you are stuck in the traffic jam! A quick meal like your delicious looking sandwich would be the perfect fast meal :)

August 2, 2011 9:10 pm
  • Bee said:

Mmmm I looove jalapenos! I also looove grilled cheese–so these are PERFECT! However, I need a good soup to drip my grilled cheese in… I wonder what would pair well with these?

August 2, 2011 9:28 pm
  • briarrose said:

If I could hide from the Monday’s under the covers I would. ;)

My husband would be totally addicted to this grilled cheese. I can even visualize the puppy dog eyes demanding I make it…now…now is good.

August 3, 2011 10:04 am
  • Bridget said:

THis sounds SO good! I’ve really just been starting to like more spicy things…I never in the past would have put jalepenos on a sandwich but now this sounds fabulous!

August 3, 2011 11:49 am
  • Whoa, I’m loving this idea. I’m a sucker for anything with cream cheese or bacon. A nice twist on a classic!

August 3, 2011 1:43 pm

i think coming back from vacation also makes me sluggish :) this sounds awesome, and i’m not really a huge fan of the traditional popper. i’m turning 30 all too soon… and doing my first olympic distance tri this month… so i guess i’m looking forward to those :)

August 3, 2011 6:48 pm
  • Mark said:

You guys win the grilled cheese award. I can’t believe I haven’t tried this. Two of my favorite things… Thanks for the post!

August 5, 2011 10:30 pm
  • Spike said:

This grilled cheese is the perfect remedy for a monday!

August 8, 2011 1:35 pm
  • Megan said:

My BF loves jalapeno poppers so this is the perfect sandwich! I can’t wait to give this a shot!!!

August 27, 2011 10:49 am
  • Kelly said:

This is a great use of extra jalapenos from the garden this year!

August 30, 2011 9:34 pm
  • Christine said:

Hi Sues and Chels, Your Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese recipe has been selected to be featured in a Recipe Guessing Game. Please share the following link with your friends and fans. To play, go here: http://knapkins.com/guess_games/4?source=blog Congrats again!! :)

November 2, 2011 5:26 pm