Pumpkin Pie Milkshake

September 22, 2011

The other day I said I couldn’t live on milkshakes alone. But that didn’t necessarily mean I wasn’t going to try. Trust me, I do try. It just only works for so long before I actually start craving things like kale. Weird, right? So, how am I justifying this most recent one? Well, pumpkin is healthy, right? Plus, there’s calcium, so there. And it’s totally seasonal, which means you can only enjoy it for so long and you better get it in while you can. I am clearly the queen of logic and justification.

But really, it would have been weird if I didn’t do this one. What do I love? Pumpkin. What else? Milkshakes. Thank you very much. These pumpkin pie milkshakes with caramel drizzle are really, really easy to make, too, so there truly are no excuses. Unless you don’t like pumpkin. And, in that case, goodbye (just kidding, I sometimes post about other ingredients, too… after autumn ends).

Pumpkin Pie Milkshake with Caramel Drizzle (makes 2):

• 10 caramels
  • 1 T water
  • 1 1/2 C vanilla ice cream
  • 1 C milk
  • 1 1/2 C pumpkin
  • 2 t cinnamon
  • 1/4 t nutmeg
  • 4 graham crackers

I would start with making the caramel drizzle, so it can melt while you finish up the milkshake. Please note, you don’t have to include the drizzle (YES YOU DO) or that you could just buy caramel sauce, too. Or if you want to show me up, you could also make caramel from scratch.

All I did was unwrap the 10 caramels (the most annoying part of this whole recipe) and put them in a small saucepan with 1 T of water on medium-low heat.

I made sure to keep stirring and the caramels slowly melted into a sauce. See? Simple.

While the melting action was going on, I put the ice cream, milk, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 3 of the graham crackers into my blender.

And hit blend.

Then I took the fourth graham cracker and put it in a ziplock bag and crushed it into crumbs.

I wet the rims of my two milkshake glasses and put them in the graham cracker crumbs to coat.

Then I poured the pumpkin pie milkshake into the glasses. And drizzled some of that caramel goodness on top.

And found myself actually grateful for the chill in the air as I gulped it right up. Sure, a milkshake is perhaps best on a hot summer day, but when you make them in delicious fall flavors, they can take you right through autumn. What am I even saying? I’m just as excited to make a holiday-style peppermint milkshake. Not to mention, eggnog, gingerbread, you get the point.

I’m not going to lie… This tasted EXACTLY like pumpkin pie. Right down to the graham cracker crust and caramel drizzle on top. I’m kind of sort of in love with it. Even if I did have to drink it while snuggled under a fleece blanket.

These are the kinds of things that make the departure of summer worth it. That and tall Cole Haan boots with Nike soles and cardigans that feel like cashmere (but aren’t because I can’t afford that).

Here’s to everything that makes fall worth it. Including the perfect excuse to get cuddled up on the couch with a good book, fuzzy socks, and one of these suckers.

What makes fall worth it to you?

Tagged With

33 Responses to "Pumpkin Pie Milkshake"

1. Simply Life says:

oh you are so good -i’m going to dream about this tonight…

2. Nisrine M. says:

What a yummy, beautiful shake. A great way to welcome fall.

3. Megan says:

That looks amazing… and I’m sure it tastes even better! Love the presentation.

4. Erica says:

I want extra graham on my glass please:)!! This looks ridiculous amazing. Pumpkin, squash and apples make fall worth while!!

5. Chris says:

Everyone should stop what they are doing and make this immediately. So good!

6. This milkshake looks amazing! It actually looks dangerously good.

7. I want one of these rightthissecond! Anything with pumpkin is a-okay in my book, and a milkshake is perfect for these warm days we’ve been having. I love every single thing about fall, but pumpkin is one of my absolute favorite aspects!

8. Katie says:

mmm looks delicious! so glad it’s pumpkin time again!!

9. Michelle says:

Holy yum. I wish you made deliveries with this milkshake!

10. Kathy says:

Um. YUM. Seriously. That looks amazing. And it looks like the perfect way to use up the rest of a can of pumpkin after baking with it. You are a genius madam!

11. Evelyn says:

This looks yummy-licious…lowfat too right?? Thank you and Happy Autumn!

12. Some vanilla vodka in these on a Friday would be perfect! 😉

13. Daisy says:

you are the milkshake queen! (i feel like i’ve said that before.) and you are right, it totally would have been weird if you didn’t whip out this combo!

14. Heather I. says:

Of course they’re healthy!! Bookmarking this recipe right now. And, those striped straws are awesome.

15. I love that we’re friends. I think I would probably be friends with Michelle Collins too, if her comment is any indication 🙂

16. Victoria says:

This looks amazing!!! Pumpkin is my one true love, I gotta try it! I linked this up on my blog too: http://www.food.com/recipe/pumpkin-pie-dip-25730

17. Victoria says:

Whoa! TOTALLY gave you the wrong link!! THIS is my blog link: http://vixenmade.blogspot.com/2011/09/pumpkin-love.html

18. em says:

umm, i want one of these RIGHT now. almost friday cocktail worthy…ya think we could add a little somethin’ somethin’?! 😉
    so excited for fall and pumpkin everything!

19. Amazing. Caramel Baileys might be a nice addition 🙂

20. Sharon says:

This drink looks absolutely fantastic…There must be some kind of pumpkin vodka out there?? If not, then I guess the Bailey’s would do!
    Beautiful photography, Sues…great job!!

21. joan says:

Definitely printing this!!

22. oh wow. what a great idea! I’m thinking of making pumpkin ice cream this weekend 😉

23. Jessa says:

This looks amazing. Definitely trying this soon! Yum!

24. Fall is in the air, but temperatures are still milkshake friendly here! A nice cool pumpkin pie treat would have been very welcome today. Looks delicious! 🙂

25. This looks absolutely incredible! I’m so happy pumpkin season is here…I will have to make these for me and my pumpkin-obsessed roommate!

26. Susan says:

I have to divert my eyes! This looks way too good 🙂

27. Sarah says:

I’m addicted to pumpkin. That’s why I noticed when you didn’t write in your instructions to add the pumpkin to the blender with the other ingredients. But I think we can all figure it out. Great recipe!

28. Sues says:

@Sarah- The most important part! I just edited it 🙂 Thank you!

29. Sinea says:

Amazing idea! I’m sharing this in Friday’s “Pumpkin Bread” post on my site as a great pumpkin recipe link!

30. These look amazing, I’ll be featuring them tomorrow on my blog http://www.trilogyedibles.com for great pumpkin recipes from around the web!

31. Paula says:

be still my, er, stomach! Can’t wait to try this! I LOVE pumpkin and buy the pumpkin coffee creamer when I can find it and put it on my oatmeal! Hope you don’t mind if I share this link on my blog!

32. Morgan says:

Thank you so much for putting this on here! It looks delicious!!!