Cranberry Mojitos

November 25, 2011

Cranberry Mojitos: The perfect holiday cocktail packed with cranberries and mint |

It’s officially the holidays!!! Thanksgiving has been celebrated and I finally allowed myself to listen to Michael Buble and light my peppermint Yankee Candle, while Chris and I assembled our Christmas tree. We also did quite a bit of Black Friday shopping online. Er, one for you and one for me was my basic philosophy. Oops? Maybe that’s what happens when you’re sipping on a glass of zinfandel while you shop. Or a cranberry mojito…

One of my favorite things about the holidays is, duh, holiday cocktails. So, I’m pretty excited for the first official Cocktail Friday of the holiday season! Oh, happy day! I started with one of my favorite seasonal ingredients, cranberries, and transformed them into one of the best drinks, a mojito. Now, mojitos are typically a summer drink, but I do love mint in the winter, so I thought the addition of cranberry flavor would work well. Plus… the colors! Hooray for Cranberry Mojitos!

Cranberry Mojitos (makes 2):

• 8 oz. fresh cranberries
  • 1 C sugar
  • 1 C water
  • 20 mint leaves
  • 2 T lime juice
  • Ice
  • 4 oz. rum
  • 4-6 oz. soda water

I didn’t want to use fake cranberry juice in my drink and really wanted to incorporate the real deal in. So, I made a simple cranberry simple syrup. Really, it’s so easy! Which is probably why it’s called a “simple” syrup in the first place.

Just put cranberries, sugar, and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.

Then lower the heat a bit to medium-low and continue to cook for about 10 minutes, before your berries start bursting. Remove from heat.

Once the berry mixture has cooled, you can strain them. I ended up letting my mixture cool overnight in the fridge. I wanted to make sure the berries had seeped as much as possible and left lots of flavor behind. But I don’t think it was totally necessary. You can strain the berries right away if you prefer.

Now you’re ready to get your drink mixing on! Put about 10 leaves of mint and a T of lime juice in each glass. With the back of a wooden spoon or a muddler mash the mint up.

Now put ice in each glass and pour 2 oz. of the cranberry syrup and 2 oz. rum into each glass.

Top off each glass with soda water. And sprinkle some fresh cranberries in for garnish.

These cranberry mojitosΒ were so refreshing and awesome! I love the sweetness of the cranberry syrup and freshness of the mint.

Plus, these colors are the absolute best for the holiday season. Yup, this is definitely the perfect holiday party drink.

The next month is already shaping up to be a super busy time for me, but I’m really hoping to try out a few more holiday drinks. I’d love to do a little something something with eggnog and perhaps some gingerbread and peppermint, too. Plus, I’ll probably make these cranberry mojitos a billion more times.

I surprisingly didn’t document our entire Thanksgiving dinner since I really wanted to just relax and enjoy the evening (I’ve definitely been leaving my camera behind more often than not lately and feeling MUCH more relaxed and in the moment in the process). But I did take a photo of our Thanksgiving table, with my dad sitting at the head. The Butterball turkey he made this year was definitely the BEST yet!

Oh, and as always, I’m obsessed with my mom’s Thanksgiving plates. She sets a mean table.

Thanksgiving Pumpkin Plates |

And we also took some lovely family photos while at my parents’ house.

Thanksgiving memories forever! πŸ™‚

Our last Thanksgiving as a non-married couple πŸ™‚

And now the countdown to Christmas is on! In the meantime, I’ll be overindulging on all things Christmas movies, decorations, foods (and drinks!!), candles, music, etc. etc. Oh, and maybe some shopping, too. Just a little bit. Promise. But pour me another cranberry mojito while you’re at it πŸ™‚

Do you have a favorite drink for the holiday season?

Tagged With β†’ β€’ β€’ β€’ β€’ β€’ β€’

56 Responses to "Cranberry Mojitos"

1. My favorite drinks during winter months are egg nog (from a carton- no alcohol) with almond milk, and hot chocolate with a flavored coffee creamer added (like mint truffle). Yum!
    I don’t drink alcohol, but that cranberry mojito really looks festive!

2. Megan says:

I love cranberry mojitos! I had them for the first time at The Wicked Oyster in Wellfleet several years ago. I usually go to the Cape in October, and it’s the perfect time to have them.

P.S. Love your mom’s plates!

3. Kelly says:

Yum. I have a bunch of fresh cranberries I got a great deal on last year after thanksgiving and froze so this looks like a great use for them.

4. This sounds so delish! What a lovely Thanksgiving and I love that you made your own cranberry syrup!

5. Erica says:

What a pretty and festive drink! Love! the table looks gorgeous! Is that a big thing of cranberry? If so- that is amazing. Cute family pictures. I cannot wait for the wedding pics

6. The colors in this drink are gorgeous! This time of year, I love anything with amaretto in it.

7. Barbara says:

Love your photos! And what a beautiful drink. Those colors!

8. So festive! I make a cranberry liqueur every year – I’m adding mint next time I am sipping on it!

9. Michelle says:

I’ve been living the same motto lately about leaving the camera behind. Great to hear that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

10. Meesh says:

omg these are gorgeous! love that shirt you’re wearing also πŸ™‚

11. Love the color of these drinks, so festive! I bet they’re delicious too!

12. Mojito + Cranberry = I’m in love! Nice way to winterize a summery drink.

13. Laur says:

This drink looks amazing! Love cranberry!

14. Zesty Cook says:

This really is the perfect holiday drink…look at those colors! Count me in.

15. Victoria says:

I am all over these this Friday!!! They look so yummy and Mojitos are one of my faves! Thank you for sharing!

16. Susan says:

Found you on pinterest. I was just looking at my mint pot ouside now that it is cold and was mising my summertime Mojitos. Going to buy cranberries right now.
    ps. Love your mum’s pumpkin plates but why did you let her serve canned cranberry jelly for dinner? lol

17. Nice looking mojitos! Perfectly seasonal!

18. Jen says:

Looks delicious! Going to try these while putting up our tree this weekend! And just out of curiousity: Are those Southern Tier Brewing Company glasses? I live about 20 minutes away from the brewery and go there often. I could recognize that logo anywhere!

19. Sues says:

@Susan Welcome! I’m so happy you found us on Pinterest! Haha my mom is forced to serve canned cranberry because some guests love it… But we also had a great big bowl of homemade cranberry sauce πŸ™‚

20. Sues says:

@Jen- Yes!! We went to visit over the summer and got the Southern Tier glasses on the tour. So jealous you live so close!! I would be there all the time, too πŸ™‚

21. David C. says:

I made a batch of this, but doubled the reciepe.(huge family). Boy am I excited to bring this to the party tomorrow. I can garentee it’s gonna be a huge hit. Made the syrup and mixed in the rum and lime juice. Saving the mint, soda, and fresh berries for tomorrow at the party. Thank you so much and I hope you all enjoy your holiday season! Cheers!

22. Erica says:

I love the Christmas mojitos!!! Yum. Yum. But I’m going to a big Christmas party and would like to take them in a large container. Any ideas on how to make it a bigger recipe ahead of time? I realize I can double the recipe but we like our drinks πŸ™‚ and The recipe says it’s only for 2 servings..I want to make sure I have enough. Thanks for your help!

23. Sues says:

@Erica- I definitely had some leftover cranberry simple syrup… I would say it makes enough for 4 drinks… So, if you triple it, you should be able to get 12. I don’t *think* you necessarily need to triple the amount of cranberries used to get the same flavor. Maybe use 3 cups of water and sugar and 16 oz. of cranberries? I would just make sure you let the mixture “marinate” for a bit!

24. Lauren says:

Sues & Erica-

I am also going to attempt making these in bulk for a Christmas party this Friday. I will let you know how trippling the recipe turns out. πŸ˜‰

25. I love this and it looks so festive. perfect for the holidays. {newest follower}

26. Ann says:

Gorgeous drinks… just perfect for the holidays!!

27. Rachel says:

Oh no! I am making them now and the berries burst… Is that a problem? I know you said to lower before they burst….

28. Sues says:

@rachel- don’t worry, it should be fine!! You have to strain them anyway, so I don’t think it will be a problem πŸ™‚

29. Lisa says:

Enjoying these with my family right now! Fabulous! I saved the cranberries I used for the simple syrup for garnish. Thanks for sharing!

30. Rachel says:

Ok, the burst berries were not a problem. I smushed them a little while I strained them to separate the cranberry sauce from the syrup. Everyone loved them. I tried them again on Christmas Eve and was extra careful to ensure they did not burst. I managed to stay on top of them that time! I also steeped them overnight… that batch came out PERFECTLY! Everyone oohed and aaahed over them at Christmas dinner. They really did look perfectly festive and tasted so good! I’ll definitely make this a new family tradition. Thank you so much for the great recipe!

31. Diana says:

Looks like these would work for Valentines Day too.

32. Lo McShay says:

Loving this recipe. Thinking of using for one of my Fall brides. Thanks for sharing,

33. Kelly says:

I just found your post via Pinterest. We’ve been on a mojito kick here and your mojitos look wonderful. We won’t be waiting for the holidays to make them. I hope I can find some fresh cranberries in the middle of July! Thanks for a fun new recipe!

34. Rhonda says:

I’m so excited to make these cranberry mojitos this holiday season! I also love your mom’s pumpkin plates! Do you know where she bought them or what brand they are? Thanks!

35. Linda says:

I am making these for the holidays…very festive and very pretty…
    and yummy i supposed too

36. Penelope says:

This looks CRAZY good. I’m making them for our Thanksgiving dinner this week. Thanks so much for the awesome recipe! I’m going to tweet the link for this post. (You should add Twitter links to your posts!)

37. Kathy says:

Love those pumpkin plates and of course the Mojito

38. Kathy says:

Did you ladies know this post is linked to on the Koloa Rum Company website?! I went to Kauai on my honeymoon and was looking for something for Christmas for my husband and stumbled upon this!
    Who knew there were We Are Not Martha fans in Hawaii?!

39. Sues says:

@Kathy- Aw, that’s so cool!! Thank you for the head’s up… And so fun to know we hav “fans” in Hawaii πŸ™‚

40. Kristin says:

I love your recipe! I always end up “accidentally” making cranberry simple syrup when I make sugared cranberries (there’s an AWESOME. recipe here- and I’ve been at a loss as to what to use it for, and now I know! This will definitely be the featured drink at my Christmas party this year!

41. Becky says:

I just shared your recipe on my blog. I made it for a cocktail party. It was delicious!

42. GABY OSUNA says:

43. Ethel says:

stumbled upon this recipe a year or so late but I am planning now for next year….loved your details…thanks

44. Donna says:

45. susan says:

Thank you for the mojito recipe … lovely – thank you !
    interesting how you make the syrup from fresh cranberries, yet you have canned cranberry jelly on your table πŸ™‚
    If you follow your own recipe, but let the cranberries boil until they pop, then cool in the fridge overnight, you’ll have your very own homemade, no preservative cranberry jelly πŸ™‚
    … just sign me a cranberryaholic !! πŸ™‚

46. Sues says:

@Susan- Haha yes! We always have two varieties of cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving… Homemade and canned to please everyone πŸ™‚

47. Hello! I wanted to let you know that I have featured your drink recipe in my holiday drink roundup, which you can read here: I hope you have a wonderful day!

48. Anne says:

Of all things, I happen to have fresh cranberries in the fridge. I need to get some fresh mint and Friday night fun will ensue! Thanks for this recipe.

49. Heidi says:

Beautiful! One of my fav holiday drinks …. I’ll have to send you a bottle of our cranberry NSSS Over the holidays in case you want to cheat πŸ˜‰

50. Theresa says:

These look wonderful! What size of glasses are you using? I’m guessing maybe 8-oz? You say to top it off with soda water, but I don’t want to make it too weak.

51. Sues says:

@Theresa- Thank you!! Yes, I used 8 oz. glasses and used 2 oz. cranberry syrup, 2 oz. rum, and about 2 oz. of soda water, plus a bunch of ice!

52. Christine says:

I want to make this recipe in bulk to serve at Christmas dinner (so that I don’t have to spend forever making individual drinks) and am not the biggest fan of club soda- anyone ever made this using something like ginger ale or sprite?

53. Sues says:

@Christine – I haven’t tried this, but I think it could work! It would just be a little sweeter. Club soda is really just sparkling water (bubbly water with no flavor)- I know lots of people get it confused with tonic which has a definite weird flavor! Let me know how it comes out πŸ™‚

54. Darleni says:

Hello all, if I don’t find cranberry, what other ingredients can I used?

55. Sues says:

@Darleni- You can make a simple mojito with no cranberry(just make the simple syrup with no addition of cranberries)… A raspberry mojito would also be delicious, but I’d just muddle the raspberry into the glass instead of turning it into simple syrup.

56. Miriam Read says:

I made these last night for Christmas dinner. Instant hit and going to be a part of every holiday season from now on! Very festive & delicious!!!! In future I will def make the syrup ahead of time. That easy step was the most time consuming. But also crucial to making this drink “off the charts” good. I love that I have plenty of syrup leftover to make more for New Yrs. Yummy tip: pour a little sugar in your glass, will help muddle the mint ?Thank you so much for sharing, you made me look and feel like a rock star ☺