Cranberry Mojitos

Cranberry-Mojito-1.jpg

It’s officially the holidays!!! Thanksgiving has been celebrated and I finally allowed myself to listen to Michael Buble and light my peppermint Yankee Candle, while Chris and I assembled our Christmas tree. We also did quite a bit of Black Friday shopping online. Er, one for you and one for me was my basic philosophy. Oops? Maybe that’s what happens when you’re sipping on a glass of zinfandel while you shop. Or a cranberry mojito…

One of my favorite things about the holidays is, duh, holiday cocktails. So, I’m pretty excited for the first official Cocktail Friday of the holiday season! Oh, happy day! I started with one of my favorite seasonal ingredients, cranberries, and transformed them into one of the best drinks, a mojito. Now, mojitos are typically a summer drink, but I do love mint in the winter, so I thought the addition of cranberry flavor would work well. Plus… the colors!

Cranberry Mojitos (makes 2):

• 8 oz. fresh cranberries
  • 1 C sugar
  • 1 C water
  • 20 mint leaves
  • 2 T lime juice
  • Ice
  • 4 oz. rum
  • 4-6 oz. soda water

Cranberry-Mojito-Ingredients.jpg

I didn’t want to use fake cranberry juice in my drink and really wanted to incorporate the real deal in. So, I made a simple cranberry simple syrup. Really, it’s so easy! Which is probably why it’s called a “simple” syrup in the first place.

Just put cranberries, sugar, and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.

Cranberry-Mojito-Cranberries.jpg

Then lower the heat a bit to medium-low and continue to cook for about 10 minutes, before your berries start bursting. Remove from heat.

Cranberry-Mojito-Cranberries-Boiling.jpg

Once the berry mixture has cooled, you can strain them. I ended up letting my mixture cool overnight in the fridge. I wanted to make sure the berries had seeped as much as possible and left lots of flavor behind. But I don’t think it was totally necessary. You can strain the berries right away if you prefer.

Cranberry-Mojito-Cranberry-Simple-Syrup.jpg

Now you’re ready to get your drink mixing on! Put about 10 leaves of mint and a T of lime juice in each glass. With the back of a wooden spoon or a muddler mash the mint up.

Cranberry-Mojito-Mint-Muddled.jpg

Now put ice in each glass and pour 2 oz. of the cranberry syrup and 2 oz. rum into each glass.

Cranberry-Mojito-Cranberry-Mint.jpg

Top off each glass with soda water. And sprinkle some fresh cranberries in for garnish.

Cranberry-Mojito-8.jpg

These drinks were so refreshing and awesome! I love the sweetness of the cranberry syrup and freshness of the mint.

Cranberry-Mojito-10.jpg

Plus, these colors are the absolute best for the holiday season. Yup, this is definitely the perfect holiday party drink.

Cranberry-Mojito-11.jpg

Cranberry-Mojito-9.jpg

The next month is already shaping up to be a super busy time for me, but I’m really hoping to try out a few more holiday drinks. I’d love to do a little something something with eggnog and perhaps some gingerbread and peppermint, too.

I surprisingly didn’t document our entire Thanksgiving dinner since I really wanted to just relax and enjoy the evening (I’ve definitely been leaving my camera behind more often than not lately and feeling MUCH more relaxed and in the moment in the process). But I did take a photo of our Thanksgiving table, with my dad sitting at the head. The Butterball turkey he made this year was definitely the BEST yet!

Thanksgiving-Table.jpg

Oh, and as always, I’m obsessed with my mom’s Thanksgiving plates. She sets a mean table.

Pumpkin-Plates.jpg

And we also took some lovely family photos while at my parents’ house.

fam1.jpg

Thanksgiving memories forever! :)

fam2.jpg

Our last Thanksgiving as a non-married couple :)

fam3.jpg

And now the countdown to Christmas is on! In the meantime, I’ll be overindulging on all things Christmas movies, decorations, foods (and drinks!!), candles, music, etc. etc. Oh, and maybe some shopping, too. Just a little bit. Promise. But pour me another cranberry mojito while you’re at it :)

Do you have a favorite drink for the holiday season?

• My favorite drinks during winter months are egg nog (from a carton- no alcohol) with almond milk, and hot chocolate with a flavored coffee creamer added (like mint truffle). Yum!
    I don’t drink alcohol, but that cranberry mojito really looks festive!

November 26, 2011 10:09 am
  • Megan said:

I love cranberry mojitos! I had them for the first time at The Wicked Oyster in Wellfleet several years ago. I usually go to the Cape in October, and it’s the perfect time to have them.

P.S. Love your mom’s plates!

November 26, 2011 10:52 am
  • Kelly said:

Yum. I have a bunch of fresh cranberries I got a great deal on last year after thanksgiving and froze so this looks like a great use for them.

November 26, 2011 12:50 pm
  • This sounds so delish! What a lovely Thanksgiving and I love that you made your own cranberry syrup!

November 26, 2011 1:50 pm

What a pretty and festive drink! Love! the table looks gorgeous! Is that a big thing of cranberry? If so- that is amazing. Cute family pictures. I cannot wait for the wedding pics

November 26, 2011 1:54 pm
  • The colors in this drink are gorgeous! This time of year, I love anything with amaretto in it.

November 27, 2011 11:31 am
  • Barbara said:

Love your photos! And what a beautiful drink. Those colors!

November 27, 2011 3:21 pm
  • So festive! I make a cranberry liqueur every year – I’m adding mint next time I am sipping on it!

November 27, 2011 7:21 pm

I’ve been living the same motto lately about leaving the camera behind. Great to hear that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

November 28, 2011 10:22 am
  • Meesh said:

omg these are gorgeous! love that shirt you’re wearing also :)

November 28, 2011 11:23 am
  • Love the color of these drinks, so festive! I bet they’re delicious too!

November 28, 2011 12:55 pm
  • Mojito + Cranberry = I’m in love! Nice way to winterize a summery drink.

November 28, 2011 6:21 pm
  • Laur said:

This drink looks amazing! Love cranberry!

November 28, 2011 7:12 pm
  • This really is the perfect holiday drink…look at those colors! Count me in.

November 28, 2011 8:58 pm
  • Victoria said:

I am all over these this Friday!!! They look so yummy and Mojitos are one of my faves! Thank you for sharing!

December 6, 2011 10:59 am
  • Susan said:

Found you on pinterest. I was just looking at my mint pot ouside now that it is cold and was mising my summertime Mojitos. Going to buy cranberries right now.
    ps. Love your mum’s pumpkin plates but why did you let her serve canned cranberry jelly for dinner? lol

December 6, 2011 2:20 pm
  • Nice looking mojitos! Perfectly seasonal!

December 6, 2011 10:38 pm
  • Jen said:

Looks delicious! Going to try these while putting up our tree this weekend! And just out of curiousity: Are those Southern Tier Brewing Company glasses? I live about 20 minutes away from the brewery and go there often. I could recognize that logo anywhere!

December 8, 2011 9:57 am
  • Sues said:

@Susan Welcome! I’m so happy you found us on Pinterest! Haha my mom is forced to serve canned cranberry because some guests love it… But we also had a great big bowl of homemade cranberry sauce :)

December 8, 2011 12:38 pm
  • Sues said:

@Jen- Yes!! We went to visit over the summer and got the Southern Tier glasses on the tour. So jealous you live so close!! I would be there all the time, too :)

December 8, 2011 12:39 pm
  • David C. said:

I made a batch of this, but doubled the reciepe.(huge family). Boy am I excited to bring this to the party tomorrow. I can garentee it’s gonna be a huge hit. Made the syrup and mixed in the rum and lime juice. Saving the mint, soda, and fresh berries for tomorrow at the party. Thank you so much and I hope you all enjoy your holiday season! Cheers!

December 10, 2011 3:17 am

I love the Christmas mojitos!!! Yum. Yum. But I’m going to a big Christmas party and would like to take them in a large container. Any ideas on how to make it a bigger recipe ahead of time? I realize I can double the recipe but we like our drinks :) and The recipe says it’s only for 2 servings..I want to make sure I have enough. Thanks for your help!

December 11, 2011 7:57 pm
  • Sues said:

@Erica- I definitely had some leftover cranberry simple syrup… I would say it makes enough for 4 drinks… So, if you triple it, you should be able to get 12. I don’t *think* you necessarily need to triple the amount of cranberries used to get the same flavor. Maybe use 3 cups of water and sugar and 16 oz. of cranberries? I would just make sure you let the mixture “marinate” for a bit!

December 12, 2011 9:48 am
  • Lauren said:

Sues & Erica-

I am also going to attempt making these in bulk for a Christmas party this Friday. I will let you know how trippling the recipe turns out. ;)

December 12, 2011 11:20 pm
  • I love this and it looks so festive. perfect for the holidays. {newest follower}

December 17, 2011 10:21 am
  • Rachel said:

Oh no! I am making them now and the berries burst… Is that a problem? I know you said to lower before they burst….

December 22, 2011 6:44 pm
  • Sues said:

@rachel- don’t worry, it should be fine!! You have to strain them anyway, so I don’t think it will be a problem :)

December 22, 2011 6:56 pm
  • Lisa said:

Enjoying these with my family right now! Fabulous! I saved the cranberries I used for the simple syrup for garnish. Thanks for sharing!

December 23, 2011 6:54 pm
  • Rachel said:

Ok, the burst berries were not a problem. I smushed them a little while I strained them to separate the cranberry sauce from the syrup. Everyone loved them. I tried them again on Christmas Eve and was extra careful to ensure they did not burst. I managed to stay on top of them that time! I also steeped them overnight… that batch came out PERFECTLY! Everyone oohed and aaahed over them at Christmas dinner. They really did look perfectly festive and tasted so good! I’ll definitely make this a new family tradition. Thank you so much for the great recipe!

December 26, 2011 10:59 pm
  • Diana said:

Looks like these would work for Valentines Day too.

February 14, 2012 12:00 pm
  • Lo McShay said:

Loving this recipe. Thinking of using for one of my Fall brides. Thanks for sharing,

February 23, 2012 3:28 pm
  • Kelly said:

I just found your post via Pinterest. We’ve been on a mojito kick here and your mojitos look wonderful. We won’t be waiting for the holidays to make them. I hope I can find some fresh cranberries in the middle of July! Thanks for a fun new recipe!

July 15, 2012 12:20 pm
  • Rhonda said:

I’m so excited to make these cranberry mojitos this holiday season! I also love your mom’s pumpkin plates! Do you know where she bought them or what brand they are? Thanks!

October 5, 2012 8:43 pm
  • Kathy said:

Did you ladies know this post is linked to on the Koloa Rum Company website?! I went to Kauai on my honeymoon and was looking for something for Christmas for my husband and stumbled upon this!
    Who knew there were We Are Not Martha fans in Hawaii?!

November 27, 2012 4:09 pm
  • Sues said:

@Kathy- Aw, that’s so cool!! Thank you for the head’s up… And so fun to know we hav “fans” in Hawaii :)

November 27, 2012 8:32 pm
  • Kristin said:

I love your recipe! I always end up “accidentally” making cranberry simple syrup when I make sugared cranberries (there’s an AWESOME. recipe here- http://gastronomyblog.com/2010/12/11/sugared-cranberries/) and I’ve been at a loss as to what to use it for, and now I know! This will definitely be the featured drink at my Christmas party this year!

December 6, 2012 12:03 am
  • Becky said:

I just shared your recipe on my blog. I made it for a cocktail party. It was delicious!

December 10, 2012 7:47 pm
  • GABY OSUNA said:

delicious

December 15, 2012 1:07 am
  • Ethel said:

stumbled upon this recipe a year or so late but I am planning now for next year….loved your details…thanks

January 17, 2013 8:23 pm
  • Donna said:

Delicious

July 14, 2013 2:00 am
  • susan said:

Thank you for the mojito recipe … lovely – thank you !
    interesting how you make the syrup from fresh cranberries, yet you have canned cranberry jelly on your table :)
    If you follow your own recipe, but let the cranberries boil until they pop, then cool in the fridge overnight, you’ll have your very own homemade, no preservative cranberry jelly :)
    … just sign me a cranberryaholic !! :)

December 14, 2013 4:15 am
  • Sues said:

@Susan- Haha yes! We always have two varieties of cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving… Homemade and canned to please everyone :)

December 15, 2013 4:33 pm
  • Hello! I wanted to let you know that I have featured your drink recipe in my holiday drink roundup, which you can read here: http://spikesandstardust.com/2013/12/12/need-a-reindeer-mug-with-that-drink/. I hope you have a wonderful day!

December 16, 2013 4:36 pm
  • Anne said:

Of all things, I happen to have fresh cranberries in the fridge. I need to get some fresh mint and Friday night fun will ensue! Thanks for this recipe.

December 18, 2013 2:38 pm