Avocado Spinach Egg Salad

Avocado-Spinach-Egg-Salad-1a.jpg

Clearly, I was put on this Earth to show you that you can eat all your favorite foods and still be healthy as can be. All you have to do is throw some vegetables in (fact: I am not a dietitian, so if this proves false for you, please don’t sue me). Egg salad is one of my very favorite foods on this wonderful Earth. It can be a little tricky, though, when ordering out, you know? If you’re not at a trusted establishment, you can’t always have faith in their egg salad. And while good egg salad can be like heaven on a plate, there are few things worse than bad egg salad. We’ll avoid that topic for the purposes of this post.

Plus, egg salad isn’t usually the healthiest thing. Especially when you’re never really sure just what restaurants are putting into it (heaven forbid they use Miracle Whip!). So when I got a craving for egg salad the other day, I decided to turn it green and pack a nutritional punch with it, sans any mayo at all. This recipe is essentially like combining egg salad and guacamole. And could there really be anything better than that? I think not.

Avocado Spinach Egg Salad Sandwiches (makes 5-6 sandwiches):

• 7 eggs, hardboiled
  • 4 oz. plain greek yogurt
  • 2 avocados
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped
  • 1 C baby spinach
  • Hot pepper flakes to taste
  • Good bread, toasted if you want

Avocado-Spinach-Egg-Salad-Ingredients.jpg

Of course, you’ll want to start by hardboiling your eggs. Otherwise, let’s face it, your egg salad isn’t going to be too tasty. If you’re never sure how to tell when your eggs are done boiling, follow Simply Recipe’s amazing guide! Once your eggs are ready (I hardboiled mine in the morning before I went to work and popped them in the fridge for the day), peel them.

Avocado-Spinach-Egg-Salad-Hardboiled-Eggs.jpg

And mash them up with the Greek yogurt (Chobani, of course!). Sprinkle some salt and pepper on top, too.

Avocado-Spinach-Egg-Salad-Egg-Salad.jpg

Now, peel and pit your avocados.

Avocado-Spinach-Egg-Salad-Avocados.jpg

And mash those up, too. Just like a guacamole. Add a little salt and pepper to this, too, if you’d like.

Avocado-Spinach-Egg-Salad-Guacamole.jpg

Now, all you do is combine the egg with the guac! And mix in the cup of spinach and the celery, too.

Avocado-Spinach-Egg-Salad-Egg-Spinach-Guac.jpg

I wasn’t sure what kinds of spices I would be using when I first started making this salad, but I decided it only needed a few hot pepper flashes to kick it up a bit.

Avocado-Spinach-Egg-Salad-Red-Pepper.jpg

Of course, you could eat this avocado spinach egg salad right out of the bowl. But I opted to put it on some nice toasted crusty bread. When Pigs Fly is one of my favorites. And lucky for me, there’s one right in my hood.

Avocado-Spinach-Egg-Salad-3.jpg

I’m telling you, if you like egg salad and avocado, there’s no reason you won’t like this! In fact, you might even decide that you never want to make egg salad the “normal” way again. Because what’s the point? You might even want to serve this with a bag of tortilla chips and eat it like it’s an eggy guacamole. Does that sound gross? Because I really don’t care.

I think the spinach is a nice added touch, too. A little bit of crunch and roughage and some extra nutrition to boot.

Avocado-Spinach-Egg-Salad-4.jpg

Chris claimed not to like egg salad the other day. But then he asked to take this to lunch the next day. Oh, and it wasn’t so long ago that boy didn’t like avocados, either. If I told him I’d be making him avocado spinach egg salad when I first met him, he may not have dated me in the first place. Thank goodness I didn’t come up with this recipe until we were a little bit further into our relationship (and I had a ring on my finger!). Now, I’m pretty sure he’d eat anything I whipped up in the kitchen.

Avocado-Spinach-Egg-Salad-8.jpg

I’ll probably be making this many, many more times. It’s super quick and keeps me happy for multiple meals. And is packed with protein and other fun nutrients. Who said you needed to serve ham with green eggs?

Are you an egg salad fan? And furthermore, do you like Miracle Whip? I was always a Hellmann’s girl… Until I tasted this recipe! Now I’m a Greek yogurt/avocado girl!

Pin It

71 Comments »

• This looks really good! I love egg salad but don’t make it too often and never order it anywhere. I used to not order it because it is always loaded with so much mayo (I can’t wait to try the greek yogurt and avocado swap!), but now I especially don’t order it anywhere because I recently started working at a sandwich shop and our egg salad is made with eggs that we get already hard boiled and peeled and come floating in a giant plastic tub of formaldehyde (!!). I don’t understand how that can possibly be safe, and I haven’t been able to find anything on the internet about it, so from now on, it will be only egg salad at home for me!

January 12, 2012 10:19 pm
  • Yes! Egg salad with Greek yogurt is such as good call. Add avocado and I’m in creamy, eggy heaven!

January 12, 2012 10:43 pm
  • this sounds fantastic!

January 13, 2012 12:09 am
  • I am absolutely an egg salad fan, and I’m with you – avocado and Greek yogurt make a fantastic healthy substitute for mayo! Looks delicious.

January 13, 2012 10:00 am
  • Cherie said:

This is a great idea! I eat hard boiled eggs most mornings, and always have Greek yogurt and avocados on stand-by. I can’t wait to mix them all together! P.S. Grew up a Miracle Whip fan because of my grandparents’ preference!

January 13, 2012 10:37 am
  • bridget said:

I’ve never been a fan of hard boiled eggs, so therefore no egg salad for me…I think it was always that rotten egg smell that it gets or something. I dont know! Wish I liked it, maybe someday I’ll try. Anyways, funny my mom and her whole side of the family are all Miracle Whip lovers…that could be part of my issue too…I hate that stuff!
    Regardless, it sounds delicious…I’m thinking just using chicken instead of egg :) Love Avocado’s and greek yogurt!

January 13, 2012 10:47 am
  • Melissa said:

Yum!! I can’t wait to make this for lunches. It’s so exciting to find a new lunch option!

January 13, 2012 11:14 am
  • How long does this keep for without the avocado going grey? I’d LOVE to try this but I don’t think I could consume it all in one day!

January 13, 2012 11:38 am
  • allie said:

First thought: OMG that looks so good.
    Second thought: I have an avocado that is about to go bad, a carton of eggs, a bag of baby spinach, and Pigs Fly bread at my house. Thank you for saving my day!!

January 13, 2012 11:40 am
  • You just made my Friday! I love this twist on egg salad. Egg salad is a favorite of mine, especially with my version that adds cream cheese (ok not so healthy), so I’m excited to try your healthier version. I only like Miracle Whip in tuna salad, otherwise I’m Hellmann’s all the way!

January 13, 2012 11:56 am
  • This look fantastic, such a great alternative to mayo!

January 13, 2012 11:59 am
  • NicoleD said:

This is my kind of egg salad! I’ve always loved egg salad and I also really love avocados. The kick of the pepper flakes sounds perfect. NOT a miracle whip fan at all, but I love Hellman’s. Definitely could be convinced to try yogurt and avocado, though!

January 13, 2012 12:11 pm
  • I make my egg salads with avocado too but haven’t tried it yet with Greek yogurt! I also make tuna salads with mashed avocado :) So good!

January 13, 2012 2:35 pm
  • Susan said:

I love egg salad and, yes, Miracle Whip is banned in mine! Hellman’s all the way. This sounds like a wonderful and healthy twist on egg salad and one I’d love to try! I think just about everything goes better with avocado :)

January 13, 2012 2:45 pm
  • Sues, this looks tasty as always! Egg salad + guacamole in a dish, heavenly. Thanks for including us in your treats :)

January 13, 2012 3:00 pm
  • Kelsie said:

Can’t wait to try this! I’ve never even thought to use Greek yogurt as a mayo substitute!

January 13, 2012 3:02 pm
  • joan said:

Miracle Whip was the only one my Mom ever bought. My husband introduced me to Best Foods. :) But I do still buy Miracle Whip once in awhile.
    We lived in NC for a year and loved Dukes Mayonnaise!

January 13, 2012 6:35 pm
  • Megan said:

This is amazing! Definitely trying it. I love egg salad but not the mayo and you’ve completely eliminated that!

January 13, 2012 7:29 pm
  • complete and total egg salad fiend. and avocado fiend. trying this this weekend for sure.

January 13, 2012 8:43 pm
  • lena said:

i often have this avocado with egg mayo but not with greek yogurt, thanks for the idea, am sure this is really yum !

January 14, 2012 8:50 am
  • Kathy said:

I love adding avocado to eggs! I was reading another blog and they had a post about egg salad but they used mayo. I heard somewhere else that you can substitute hummus for it too and it worked out great! I’m sure Greek yogurt would be awesome too.

January 15, 2012 6:03 am
  • I bookmarked this recipe a few days ago and was planning to try it over the weekend when I had time to hard boil some eggs. But then I never had time to hard boil the eggs. So I scrambled up some egg whites to use instead and it was DELISH!

January 15, 2012 2:23 pm
  • Kayla said:

I don’t like egg salad, but I am a huge fan of tuna salad.. Any ideas if the avocado and yogurt would do as a substitute in that?

January 16, 2012 7:01 pm
  • First, I love egg salad and avocado, so this looks amazing. Second, I am having a Dr. Seuss themed party for my son’s first birthday, and having some “green eggs” sounds like a fantastic! Thanks for the idea!

January 16, 2012 8:06 pm
  • Sues said:

@Kayla- I feel like the avocado and Greek yogurt could work the same way in tuna as it does in egg salad! Both avocado and yogurt have a pretty mild taste, so I think it would just make a creamy delicious tuna :) Let me know if you try it!

January 17, 2012 12:02 am
  • Sues said:

@Bee- I made this on a Monday and finished it on a Wednesday… It was only just starting to look grey, which I was a bit surprised about. You could always add a little lemon if you want. Or make half the recipe!

January 17, 2012 12:06 am
  • mary said:

Can you make this ahead of time or do the avocados brown in the fridge??

January 18, 2012 8:59 pm
  • Sues said:

@Mary- I think it depends how far ahead of time. I had mine in the fridge for 2.5 days and it was starting to brown, but still eatable! Definitely add some lemon if you don’t mind a citrusy touch (I think it would be delicious!) and cover in saran wrap, making sure the saran is pushed down so it’s touching the salad.

January 19, 2012 12:13 am
  • bree said:

do you recommend cooking and wilting the spinach first? or adding it raw?

January 21, 2012 11:57 am
  • Sues said:

@Bree- I added it raw because I wanted it to be a little crunchy and I didn’t like the idea of mushy spinach in the egg salad as much. But if you like cook spinach better, I think that would be perfectly fine!

January 21, 2012 1:54 pm
  • Heidi said:

I absolutely love avocados, so I will definitely try this!

January 21, 2012 4:42 pm
  • Barb said:

I am not a miracle whip girl. I do not like it in my egg salad, I do not like it in my potato salad, I do not like it with green eggs and ham! I also love egg salad & I will not order it from a restaurant or store (YUCK!). I also wan’t order potato salad either. I am looking forward to try this, it looks and sounds delicious.

January 21, 2012 4:47 pm
  • Laura said:

I LOVE this idea! I made my own version tonight and talked about it on my blog here…
    Thanks for such a great idea!

January 21, 2012 8:01 pm
  • Emily said:

Looks great. When I make my own guacamole, I always add some garlic, lime, and cumin. I think those would make great additions as well as keeping the avocado fresher.

January 22, 2012 12:59 pm
  • Sarah said:

LOVE this idea and can’t wait to try it! I’m on weight watchers. Any idea on a serving size and nutrition info?

January 22, 2012 2:22 pm
  • Egg salad sammies are one of my favorites. And, I love avocados. I love this idea of combining them. I will sometimes put finely chopped cauliflower or broccoli in my egg salad. Yum!

January 22, 2012 3:06 pm
  • Karen said:

This is amazing! I loved where you went with the red pepper flakes, so I took it a little further, adding some reduced fat sour cream instead of the greek yogurt, fresh cilantro, and fresh lime juice… I reference you in my write-up here – http://lettuceeatlocal.blogspot.com/2012/01/pinterest-inspired-avocado-spinach-egg.html. I love this idea – thanks for sharing!

January 22, 2012 7:44 pm
  • Eliza said:

I made this today with the following changes: cut recipe down to 4 eggs and 1 avocado with 1/3 cup fat-free yogurt–because no one else in my family will eat this. Added a tablespoon of lemon juice to the avo. Omitted celery because I didn’t have any. Delicious–and I don’t really like egg salad because I don’t like mayo.

@Sarah: I’m on Weight Watchers, too. I put my altered recipe into e-Tools, divided it into 3 generous servings and got 6 points per serving. Fantastic on whole wheat bread.

January 24, 2012 5:13 pm
  • Barb said:

Made this today and it was awesome! Used guacomole and left out the hot pepper flakes. I am also going to try it using tofu & cumin to replace the eggs, next time!

January 25, 2012 2:55 pm
  • Courtney said:

I tried it yesterday, and I wasn’t a big fan. I think it was the greek yogurt.

January 26, 2012 12:57 pm
  • Helen Bushnell said:

Like the idea of mixing 4 of my favorite things together, i.e. eggs, avocado, Greek yogurt and spinach. Not sure about the Miricale Whip, but I’m willing to give it a try. Headed to the store… will let you know.

January 29, 2012 4:39 pm
  • Helen Bushnell said:

Like the idea of mixing 4 of my favorite things together, i.e. eggs, avocado, Greek yogurt and spinach. Headed to the store… will let you know.

January 29, 2012 4:43 pm
  • Barb ara said:

I saw this last night and had to make it for lunch today!!! It was amazing! I kicked it up a notch and added some spicy pickle relish! Just the right amount of zing!

January 30, 2012 2:39 pm
  • Tiffany said:

Had this for lunch today! DELISH! Thanks!

January 31, 2012 12:48 pm
  • Maureen said:

I was intrigued by this recipe, I had to give it a shot. I was a little skeptical while I was making it, but this was so much better than I expected it to be. I did use lemon flavored Greek yogurt and I added some basil since I didn’t have hot pepper flakes. Great recipe, thanks for sharing it. I’m wondering if anyone has already calculated the Weight Watchers points for this recipe?? Thanks! :)

January 31, 2012 2:20 pm
  • Kelly said:

I just made this and it’s delicious!!! Any idea of the calorie/fat/carb breakdown?

February 2, 2012 7:42 pm
  • Amy said:

Just made this for lunches for the next few days and snuck a taste. Very good! Thank you for the idea. :)

February 8, 2012 8:29 am
  • Joann said:

Great idea! Will definitely make this. Great for kids’ lunches on St. Patrick’s Day too :)
    Nobody has said this, but you can make your own Greek yogurt very easily (and cheaper too). Sorry Chobani people. :) Just put a coffee filter into a strainer or sieve, put in the amount of yogurt you want (it will condense), and let sit for a while. I usually let it go for 15-30 min., but you could do it overnight to make it even creamier.
    Thanks for the post!

February 10, 2012 11:03 am
  • Jennifer said:

I didn’t have all ingredients on hand and I wanted to make these as little appetizers, so I made 2 large hard boiled eggs mixed with some mayo, 2 mashed avocados, salt, pepper and garlic powder. I put a small spoonful on a small, bite size lettuce leaf and sprinkled them with red pepper flakes. I then toasted some 12 grain bread, buttered it and cut it into tiny pieces which I used to garnish each lettuce bite. It was simply delicious and I will definitely make for company as a bite size appetizer!

February 14, 2012 8:12 pm
  • Jessica said:

I loved these! My kind of recipe – adding veggies to make it healthier. Thanks for the great recipe.

February 16, 2012 4:47 pm
  • Emily said:

I added a little bit of yellow mustard to this recipe because that’s what I’m used to and it was delicious!

February 19, 2012 1:47 pm
  • kathhon said:

While visiting my daughter in Tenn, she decided to make this on Ash Wednesday for us.. I was a bit leary since I’m not a lover of guac or greek yogurt, (so I thought)… It was delish, and I mean wonderful!! I will NEVER again have to use MAYO for my egg salad.. thanks for this awesome idea, even us “older” folks can change bad habits, LOL =)

February 24, 2012 1:49 pm
  • SFPrincess said:

I made this recipe w/4 eggs, 1 avocado, 1/4 cup of mayo, spinach, and red pepper flakes. I added lettuce, tomato, and pepperjack cheese. It was amazing! Thanks so much for sharing. :)

February 27, 2012 3:03 pm
  • Kathy said:

SO GOOD. THANK YOU. My roommate and I have made it three times in the past month! We use green apple instead of celery, though. Delicious!

February 28, 2012 8:32 pm
  • Sarah said:

Wow! My 2 favorite things combined!! You are a genius! Making this ASAP.

March 2, 2012 4:49 pm
  • Sally said:

I accidentally bought an extra carton of eggs recently and didn’t want them to go to waste, so I looked for an egg salad recipe. I’m not a huge egg fan, but sometimes I like egg salad and I need the protein so I set off to make some. I found this and thought it would be perfect, since I’m on a diet and had some extra guacamole and spinach in my fridge that I needed to use up as well. Let me just say: WOW! This was SO delicious. Tastes like a buff avocado sandwich. I left out the celery because I’m not a fan, and I used one avocado and about 1/4 cup of store-bought guacamole. It came out SO good! And the hard-boiled egg recipe you linked to was a huge help; my eggs came out perfect! I wish I could serve it on some nice bakery sourdough, but unfortunately the diet constitutes whole wheat instead. It was still good though! Topped the sandwich with extra spinach for texture. Thank you SO much, this will be my new go-to egg salad recipe!

PS: I counted everything out and it looks like the whole recipe, including the guacamole subbed for avocado and non-fat Chobani Greek yogurt, without the celery, came to about 200 calories per half-cup serving. So it’s healthy too! :)

March 6, 2012 9:02 pm
  • Brittany N. said:

So glad I came across this! I had an avocado that was about to go bad and jumped right on this recipe. I substituted cilantro for spinach because I cannot get enough of the stuff! Turned out great, the eggs and avocado go wonderfully together!

March 11, 2012 7:29 pm
  • Beth said:

WOW! This looks great. I think I’ll combine it with SkinnyTaste’s low yolk egg salad. I can’t wait to try the combo of red pepper flakes and avocado. Thanks!

March 12, 2012 1:37 pm
  • Stacie said:

Loved this! Thanks for the recipe!

March 12, 2012 2:40 pm
  • Hillary said:

I just made this for lunch today, and it was great! I added lemon juice to the mashed avocado, but other than that I kept the recipe the same. I served it on my homemade wheat bread, and it was a very filling, satisfying lunch. Delicious! Next time I’m going to try it with green apple instead of celery, like someone else mentioned above. M’mm.

April 25, 2012 4:39 pm
  • Wow — looks terrific! Love the idea of combining avocado, greek yogurt and egg salad.

June 6, 2012 12:09 pm
  • Who knew that the addition of avocado and spinach could spruce up an egg salad sandwich?? So many other things you could add as well! Will be making this again…soon!

June 7, 2012 4:17 pm
  • I really liked the idea of using Greek yogurt instead of mayo here. Brought the calories down and also added a little tang. I added a bit of lemon pepper instead of red chili flakes for seasoning. I think the basic recipe here would probably make a good tuna salad too. http://epifurious.tumblr.com/post/17917101535/avocado-spinach-egg-salad

July 15, 2012 4:17 pm
  • Ellen said:

To keep the avocado from turning brown, keep the seed in the salad. I am going to try this right away. Sounds great and I’ve been trying to find a substitute for Miracle Whip (yes, raised on it) or mayo for quite awhile. Thanks for posting this recipe!

July 20, 2012 6:31 pm
  • Julie said:

I love egg salad but this blew my old recipe away. I don’t think I will ever make the old way again. I added a little onion and garlic to mine. We are big onion and garlic fans. It was delicious.

July 24, 2012 5:54 pm
  • Megan said:

Came across this recipe on pinterest, and made it for dinner tonight. DELISH!!!!! I love love love Greek yogurt substitutions. My kids even liked it (including my 7month old) and my husband was totally wowed! Thank you for sharing…I will be back!

August 5, 2012 10:28 pm
  • Bianca said:

YUM! I’ve had this pinned on my Pinterest for weeks now.. and I finally got to try it! Delicious, avocado is simply an amazing addition to anything, IMO!
    I mentioned your recipe on my blog – thanks for posting!

August 28, 2012 3:04 pm
  • Debbie said:

Just made this for dinner. Delicious! Even my husband didn’t miss his favorite condiment. Would be good for a tea sandwich filling for a shower.

January 14, 2013 8:39 pm
  • chinner said:

Unique ideas love this one

April 7, 2013 5:31 pm
  • chinner said:

Luv this egg salad and avocado salad had it on lettuce leaf, fantastic. Can’t wait to try the rest of the avocado recipes.

April 7, 2013 5:38 pm
  • NI said:

Love this! It’s so delicious! You have got to try this. I made this but put it on a bed of baby lettuce or spring mix and drizzled with balsalmic vinegar. Came out very good! It was very filing…..just purrrfect:)

July 31, 2013 12:11 am