Blood Orange Gin Lime Rickey

Blood-Orange-Gin-Lime-Ricky-3.jpg

It’s Cocktail Friday! And I’m writing this from the airport about to depart to Richmond, VA, to visit Chris’s family. Sitting in the new Jet Blue terminal at Logan Airport makes me feel like I need a cocktail. Big time. But unfortunately, there’s only a prepared sandwich kiosk. And I’m fairly certain they don’t sell cocktails. Or blood oranges. Or even a nice cup of Starbucks coffee… Seriously though, this terminal is pretty awful and I’m starting to wish I didn’t make it to the airport until just before my flight took off. That’s what I get for being so punctual (or just a crazy nervous wreck about being late).

Also, screaming babies. Several of them. I pray they are not on my flight. But since there are a total of 3 gates here, I fear the worst. Anyway, it’s likely that you need a cocktail, too, correct? We can get through this together (except you’re probably sitting on your couch after a long week, relaxing). If you are, get up right now and make this Blood Orange Lime Rickey. And have one for me. Thank you :)

Blood Orange Gin Lime Rickey (serves 4):

• 1 1/4 C fresh blood orange juice, plus a few slices for garnish
  • 1/4 C fresh lime juice, plus a few slices for garnish
  • 1 C gin
  • 1 C club soda

Blood-Orange-Gin-Lime-Ricky-Ingredients.jpg

It’s really quite simple. Just juice your oranges (until you have a cup and 1/4 of juice… probably about 8-10 oranges) and admire the beautiful mess the blood oranges make.

Blood-Orange-Gin-Lime-Ricky-Cutting-Oranges.jpg

Then, into a pitcher, pour the juice, along with 1/4 C of lime juice. I like my rickeys citrusy, but if you get tired of squeezing, you can stop when you want. Then pour in the gin and top off with the soda. Add a few slices of limes and blood oranges in for good measure.

Blood-Orange-Gin-Lime-Ricky-1.jpg

Of course, you can adjust the amount of ingredients to taste. Some lime it ginny-er. Some like it less so. Who are you? And can I have your gin? ;)

I absolutely LOVE the color of this drink. Seriously, there may be nothing better than a beautiful blood orange.

Blood-Orange-Gin-Lime-Ricky-2.jpg

Fill a cup with lots of ice and pour the drink in.

Blood-Orange-Gin-Lime-Ricky-7.jpg

Make sure you get an orange and a lime slice in there, too.

Blood-Orange-Gin-Lime-Ricky-4.jpg

Whenever I see blood oranges at my grocery store, I HAVE to buy them. And then I’m never quite sure what I should do with them… So I make a cocktail. Because I know they make some of the best cocktails ever.

Blood-Orange-Gin-Lime-Ricky-5.jpg

What do you generally do with blood oranges because I think I need some ideas… Don’t get me wrong, I’ll still be making cocktails, but would love some entree ideas. You know me, and I’m already thinking blood orange risotto.

Blood-Orange-Gin-Lime-Ricky-6-2.jpg

Alright, I’m getting ready to hop on my flight. Dreaming of this… Hey, Chris, do you think you could have one ready for me when I land?? ;)

Blood-Orange-Gin-Lime-Ricky-8.jpg

I hope all your cocktail wishes come true this weekend. I’m excited to spend some time in Richmond and am hoping for maybe a cocktail or two!

Did this week/day/hour make you feel like you need a cocktail? Why?

• Enjoy your trip. I’m loving the color of this, it’s extra inviting! As for the babies… just remember you once were one too and it’s even harder on them to be out of their comfort zone and regular schedule than adults. ;) Maybe you can buy a drink on the flight?

February 17, 2012 8:31 pm

have fun in VA. i could use one or three of these right now!

February 17, 2012 10:42 pm
  • Rhonda said:

I’m so loving the blood orange cocktails!

February 18, 2012 12:22 am
  • Hi there I am so thrilled I found your site, I really found you by mistake, while I was browsing on Google for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say thank you for a incredible post and a all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don

February 18, 2012 1:53 am

Hope you had a safe flight! I’m glad I didn’t book JetBlue for my upcoming trip to SF!

February 18, 2012 9:49 am
  • Megan said:

I always cringe when there are screaming babies at the gate… and really, really hope they don’t end up on my flight. I can definitely see why you’d need a cocktail. Love the vibrant color of this one!

February 18, 2012 9:59 am
  • I used to be a vodka girl, but gin is starting to call my name more often these days. This cocktail looks mighty refreshing!!

February 18, 2012 11:20 am
  • Kelly said:

Okay dumb question (that I could probably actually google) what makes something a lime rickey? Is it the combo of lime + soda? Just curious. I remember drinking raspberry lime rickeys in college at The Otherside Cafe. (Of course without alcohol as I was under 21.)

February 18, 2012 11:51 am
  • em said:

yes, this week definitely mandated a cocktail. busy and a little stressful.
    that’s why i love this blog feature so much. ;)

February 19, 2012 1:32 pm
  • Ashley said:

I have a blood orange buying compulsion too. There are 3 bags sitting in my apartment, begging to be used. So far, I’ve done a blood orange-ricotta cheesecake and olive oil blood orange cake (both from Martha Stewart!). Not to mention two batches of blood orange-meyer lemon marmalade that is perfect on Greek yogurt. This week, I’m going to try blood orange bars (like lemon bars, but with blood orange), and some blood orange curd. And most likely this cocktail too, because I love blood oranges and alcohol. Thank you for the recipe!

February 20, 2012 12:15 pm
  • Sharon said:

Stuck at the airport on a 1 1/2 delay. So could use one of these. Will have to pick up these ingredients when we arrive at our destination immediately!!

February 20, 2012 12:51 pm
  • This cocktail looks so refreshing and delicious! I was sick for the latter part of the weekend, so I’m in need of a cocktail this evening!

February 20, 2012 2:35 pm
  • bridget said:

I know its only 9AM but I kind of want one of those cocktails right now!! I even have blood oranges at home! Looks so pretty!

February 21, 2012 10:18 am
  • Gia Grossman said:

I could use one. I had to work yesterday so I could use two really. LOL!

February 21, 2012 12:30 pm
  • LaTessa said:

I will be making this tomorrow, thanks for sharing

February 24, 2012 9:12 pm
  • I have a similar blood orange obsession…what is there not to love about them? Though on a path to make a cake today; glad I found you site and this cocktail. Especially glad that I have some extra juice after finishing the blood orange curd for the cake I’m going to make today.

I do a weekly cocktail post and recently made a blood orange margarita you might enjoy too. Gosh I’m going to miss these things!

Cheers!

March 10, 2012 1:04 pm
  • Heide M. said:

Wish I had a sip of this.

February 13, 2013 10:55 pm