Fruity Pebbles Doughnuts

Fruity-Pebbles-Donuts-21.jpg

Is this post a revolt against my childhood? At first I thought it might be. As a kid, I was never allowed sugary cereal for breakfast. Nor was I allowed donuts. Once in a blue moon, we were granted permission to pick out a box of sugary cereal, but it was relegated to snack and dessert time in carefully rationed portions. No fair. I figured I would some day revolt. But it’s a funny thing about growing up. Oftentimes instead of revolting, you start understanding why your parents did what they did and made the rules they made. These days, I would never eat sugary cereal or donuts for breakfast. I need something with protein and vitamins that will power me through the morning; not empty calories. Ugh. Growing up can be annoying. Why can’t I just eat my sugary cereal and be absolutely thrilled like I would have been at age 10? See? Life isn’t fair.

In an effort to live like a 10 -year-old, I decided to buy a box of Fruity Pebbles and do something fun with them. When I was 10, Fruity Pebbles wouldn’t necessarily have been my cereal of choice, but given their bright colors, I figured they were the ideal dessert-making cereal. And why not combine them with another forbidden breakfast food? The doughnut. Don’t worry, though, because these doughnuts are baked. And that, um, makes them OK? For breakfast? To be honest, I wasn’t obsessed with baked doughnuts the first couple times I made them. In general, they left me craving a “real” doughnut. But I decided to give it another go with these and am so happy I did. Best baked doughnuts I’ve ever made. Thank you, Fruity Pebbles.

But guess what? I ate them for dessert. Because that’s how life is.

Fruity Pebbles Donuts (makes 6):

• 4 T butter
  • 1/2 C sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 C flour
  • 1 1/2 t baking powder
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/3 C whole milk
  • 1 1/2 t vanilla extract
  • 1/2 C Fruity Pebbles
  • 1 batch vanilla icing (see recipe below)
(pre-heat oven to 350 degrees)

Fruity-Pebbles-Donuts-Ingredients.jpg

Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Fruity-Pebbles-Donuts-Sugar-Butter.jpg

Add the egg and mix to combine.

Fruity-Pebbles-Donuts-Sugar-Butter-Egg.jpg

In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.

Fruity-Pebbles-Donuts-Flour.jpg

Stir in to the butter sugar mixture, alternating with milk. Mix in vanilla extract, too, until just blended. It’s very important not to overmix here. The more you mix, the more dense the doughnut will be.

Stir in 1/2 C Fruity Pebbles. Looks kinda like Funfetti, huh?

Fruity-Pebbles-Donuts-Batter.jpg

In a donut pan, evenly distribue batter, filling tin almost all the way.

Fruity-Pebbles-Donuts-Donut-Pan-.jpg

It seriously does look like a more vibrant Funfetti Which got my mind spinning about the kinds of cupcakes I could make with Fruity Pebbles.

Fruity-Pebbles-Donuts-Donut-Pan-2.jpg

Bake the doughnuts at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes, until the doughnuts spring back when touched and are starting to turn golden.

Fruity-Pebbles-Donuts-Baked-2.jpg

Remove to a wire rack to cool.

Fruity-Pebbles-Donuts-Cooling-2.jpg

While the doughnuts are cooling, try to resist stealing one and start making your doughnut icing.

Fruity Pebbles Vanilla Icing:

• 1 1/2 C confectioners’ sugar
  •  2 T whole milk
  • 2 t vanilla extract
  • 1 C Fruity Pebbles

Fruity-Pebbles-Donuts-Icing-Ingredients.jpg

This is pretty simple. just whisk all the ingredients together, except for the Fruity Pebbles. I often have trouble making an icing I love and this was the best recipe yet. If you find your icing to be a little watery, add some more sugar. And if it’s too thick, add more milk.

Fruity-Pebbles-Donuts-Icing.jpg

When the doughnuts are cooled, dunk the top into the icing bowl.

Fruity-Pebbles-Donuts-Iced.jpg

And then sprinkle Fruity Pebbles (lots of them!) over the icing.

Fruity-Pebbles-Donuts-Iced-Pebbled-2.jpg

Childhood dreams are coming true everywhere. Bright, happy (sugary) childhood dreams.

Fruity-Pebbles-Donuts-Iced-Pebbled.jpg

And your doughnuts are ready to be indulged. Like I said, I didn’t eat these for breakfast. I had them for dessert. And while they’re still not fried, they were much closer to being an indulgent doughnut than any other baked one I’ve had. The icing and Fruity Pebbles didn’t hurt.

Fruity-Pebbles-Donuts-1.jpg

These are basically like a party. Which makes me think, if you have kids… And those kids are not allowed to have sugary cereal for breakfast. Or doughnuts… Make these as a special treat for their birthday breakfast.

Fruity-Pebbles-Donuts-9-1.5.jpg

They’ll be absolutely thrilled. But make sure you tell them that some day they’ll understand why they can’t eat sugary cereal and doughnuts for breakfast on a daily basis. And that some day they probably won’t even want to.

Fruity-Pebbles-Donuts-16.jpg

They won’t believe you. They’ll be appalled. Which is why you should probably write it down.

Fruity-Pebbles-Donuts-17.2.jpg

When I have kids, I’ll probably start a blog called, “I told you so.” And every time I tell them something they don’t believe, I’ll blog about it. Some day they’ll read the blog and realize I was right. Because parents are always right.

Fruity-Pebbles-Donuts-18.5.jpg

I’m kidding, though, that would be cruel. And they won’t forget anyway. They never do.

Fruity-Pebbles-Donuts-22.jpg

So, thanks Mom and Dad for making sure I always had the nutrition and energy to get powered through a schoolday. Bet you never thought I’d be making Fruity Pebbles Doughnuts some day, did you? Too bad I have to be so darn responsible about it.

Did you have breakfast rules when you were a kid?

• I admit the Fruity Pebbles are much prettier, but Cocoa Pebbles has always been the only kids cereal for me! At 36 I’ll still gladly scarf a bowl down. Your photos make me want to change my mind tho. ;)

July 12, 2012 8:24 am

We also weren’t allowed sugary cereals so I loved the cereal bar at college when I could splurge to my heart’s content! Now, I’m back to boring breakfasts of egg whites and hearty cereals. :-)

July 12, 2012 9:37 am
  • Monique said:

YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!
    amazing!

July 12, 2012 10:03 am
  • Ashley said:

No breakfast rules, because we were all scrambling to get out of the house. So I’d alternate between Special K bars (I still can’t eat them, I had way too many over the years), cold pizza, and even ice cream. Now I try to have a much healthier and substantial breakfast so I survive without hurting someone until lunchtime.
    I loved baked donuts though! The recipe that came with the Wilton donut pan is awesome, thanks to the buttermilk and fresh ground nutmeg. And chocolate icing with sprinkles. I’m certain that’s clutch. Your donuts look incredibly fun!

July 12, 2012 10:49 am
  • Too cute! Fruity Pebbles were always top on my list when my parents let me eat sugary cereals on vacation :)

July 12, 2012 11:32 am
  • JenniferC said:

This looks great! I would actually steep some fruity pebbles in milk, then strain it and use the flavored milk as the liquid in the icing to get even more delicious flavor! I might have to try this out.

July 12, 2012 11:48 am
  • emily said:

oh, my gosh. those look amazing. we didn’t have food rules growing up, but we were more partial to “adult” cereal. i remember my sister and i having fights over who was going to finish the muesli (which my dad always called “moose lips”)!

July 12, 2012 12:19 pm
  • These are beyond cute. Great job! I never was a fan of fruity pebbles, but anything chocolate was fantastic…

July 12, 2012 12:48 pm
  • lindsey said:

These look like so much fun! I’m going to have to put my muffin pan to work this weekend. Thanks for sharing :)

July 12, 2012 1:58 pm
  • Joan said:

They look so pretty!
    hee hee…”revolt against my childhood”.
    When I am eating cookies I always think about only getting 2 for my snack after school. With a glass of milk. :)

July 12, 2012 3:54 pm
  • Gia Grossman said:

Oh my wow. These are the best! Love the colors and flavors and would probably eat 10 for bfast. Oopsss.

July 12, 2012 4:56 pm
  • Lucy Hill said:

Awesome! I very much love it! :) Thanks for sharing! hahaha…I will make 3 types of icing for this. :p

July 12, 2012 10:54 pm
  • black hat said:

Wow, fantastic blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your site is excellent, as well as the content!

July 12, 2012 10:57 pm
  • This is such a fun idea! I love colorful treats :)

July 13, 2012 1:06 am
  • haha these look great! i wasn’t a big sugar cereal eater but my favorite fun breakfast was toaster strudels! grossss (says 27 year old me)

July 13, 2012 9:47 am
  • brandi said:

these are so fun!!

July 13, 2012 2:43 pm
  • Kerstin said:

So fun and colorful! I’m like you, I always crave a healthy breakfast, but I’m always happy to have a donut afterwards, for dessert :)

July 14, 2012 12:50 pm
  • Liz said:

Love it!!! Great idea :-)

July 15, 2012 6:40 pm
  • Reeni said:

Fruity pebbles were always my favorite! I haven’t had them in years. I would love to try one of these colorful fruity donuts!

July 15, 2012 8:55 pm
  • Susan said:

WOW. And my cereal of choice was always Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

July 15, 2012 10:41 pm
  • Odetta said:

Ridiculous. In a good way! I ate a lot of Cheerios and healthier cereals when I was a kid but loved Frosted Flakes! Must be Tony!

July 17, 2012 4:33 pm
  • Melissa said:

I love this post! I was only allowed to have sugary cereals and donuts for breakfast occasionally; and now I pick cereals that are high in protein and fiber. When I wanted a donut, my mom would tell me to have a bagel with cream cheese and jelly instead…not the same!

July 17, 2012 8:23 pm
  • If youre in a not good position and have no cash to move out from that point, you will require to take the loan. Because it would help you unquestionably. I take credit loan every time I need and feel great just because of that.

June 27, 2013 12:43 pm